Husqvarna 701 Super Moto and Enduro!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Dozer720, Aug 13, 2015.

1. Tyestick

Tyestick Hooligan at heart

Oddometer:
    Just a heads up in case you didn’t already know, the ABS dongle will cause your ‘check engine light’ to flash.
    CaptnSlo likes this.
  2. Tyestick

Oddometer:
    I’m at 24,xxx miles on my 2020 and have had two valve checks. Both checks passed with flying colors. No adjustments needed.

I’ve been told that these motors are pretty solid when it comes to valve checks.
    JustinP and Night Falcon like this.
  3. dstutz

dstutz Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think you mean ABS light.
  4. Pooz

Pooz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The answer is : 840 km.
    Amazing bike...:pep
    JustinP likes this.
  5. BrittC

BrittC Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    How's the windshield holding up with the cables rubbing against it? I just got the same windshield and it's annoying to think it'll be damaged by rubbing the first time out...
  6. DIYPSCM

DIYPSCM Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    It has the expected rub marks, but can't really be seen with the cables in place.... the rub marks are straight up & down.

WARNING!!! The shield is SOFT plastic. Just casual cleaning has already scratched mine. :baldy
    BrittC likes this.
  7. KiwiPewe

KiwiPewe Coddiwomple Supporter

Oddometer:
    First 10k service you gotta get done at the stealership anyway, after that just do it yourself, once a year, it's not that difficult
    (Compared to a 9fiddy...:baldy)
    Do you plan on coming to Murchison in November? I could give you a quick rundown on how to do them.
  8. zipdoa

zipdoa Green friendly giant

Oddometer:
    Heads up - on my previous 701 I paid big money for the OEM turn signals from KTM-Versand.de. One stopped working and another leaked a bit of water into the housing. Wasn't impressed.

I like the OEM look, but this time found these for $45CDN on amazon. They look identical to the KTM OEM units but 1/3 the price. I chopped the connectors off my stock lights and crimped them - they work great and fitment was bang on.

New 4Pcs 12V Motorcycle LED Turn Signal Light Smoked Lens for Yamaha YZF R1 R6 R6S FZ6 FZ1, Turn Signal Assemblies & Lenses - Amazon Canada
  9. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Structural Failure

Oddometer:
    Cheers for the offer, bikeless atm and November - December is a bad time of year for my leisure activities :( There are loads of how to videos on it so I'd likely just have to give it a go...what's the worst that could happen :fpalm It's basically a valve check every service which seems a bit over the top for a modern bike....then again it is a 74hp single :yikes
  10. BrittC

BrittC Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

I put the same ones on my Aprilia RXV a few years ago and really liked them. Bright, durable, and good looking (hey, aren't those the same requirements for a wife?)
    Yukon Ho! and Doc Sarvis like this.
  11. Doc Sarvis

Doc Sarvis Advent-ia before dementia Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bright, durable, and good looking (hey, aren't those the same requirements for a wife?)

Pick two.
    zipdoa, Foo Bar, Bhart89 and 4 others like this.
  12. Morgan2021

Morgan2021 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hope this is the proper place to put info about my 701 Husqvarna key.

Huge hassle finding a replacement, lots of dealerships did not have them in stock (and they were expensive), and most locksmiths couldn't help me...

Finally found someone who identified key #TMC1 would work. I think it was $12.

Hope this helps save someone else some money and time!
    jonz, Racerx43, Yukon Ho! and 5 others like this.
  13. Tyestick

Oddometer:
    Out with the old:

[​IMG]

In with the new:

[​IMG]
    CaptnSlo, hezv4, el_heinzo and 2 others like this.
  14. DIYPSCM

DIYPSCM Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    v
    Following up on this...

Yes, the bulb was installed correctly. I ended up having to shim out the top of the reflector 5mm to get adjustment right, and that's with all of the regular adjustment used up. Folks complain about the 701's poor lighting.... I wonder if their's are just aimed too high?

It was asked above about my weight, suspension sag etc... I have the rear sag set at about 4" and the forks slid up an inch into the trees.... the bike sits pretty level.

On a side note..... I bought a Cyclops 10.0 ultra LED unit, only to find that of course the 701 needs a special model... more on that once I get the right one.

I will say that now the stocker is adjusted correctly I question the need for the LED. Getting rid of the heat will be nice tho.
  15. Tyestick

Oddometer:
    The stock 701 light is terrible. No matter how you try to adjust it. I attempted to cut corners and bit the bullet for the Cyclops Ultra 10.0 bulb.

While the Cyclops bulb was obviously brighter, it was a scattered beam with some areas lit more than others.

The stock 701 headlight reflector housing just isn’t meant to handle that much light.

I stepped my game up, and went with the BajaDesigns XL80. Yes, it was expensive. Was it worth the cost? Absolutely. I wish I had went with the XL80 in the first place. Would have saved me the money I spent on Cyclops.
    smackyface and JoeMongo like this.
  16. Tyestick

Oddometer:
    The master cylinder that feeds that caliper: Brembo RCS 15.

[​IMG]
  17. Tyestick

Oddometer:
    This being a somewhat older post, but yes… You’ll need to trim your carbon fiber ignition cover:

[​IMG]
  18. Jan from Finland

Jan from Finland Long timer

Oddometer:
    A Silca ZD23RCP key blank works also.

Dealerships do not have them in stock because they have to order a replacement using the VIN and your key code card.

[​IMG]

Image credit to @Webon.
    Yukon Ho! likes this.
  19. Jan from Finland

Jan from Finland Long timer

Oddometer:
    I noticed the same. Not sure if the rack is wearing down but the paint is definitely gone.
    Motoriley likes this.
  20. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    0AA43BC5-344D-4AA6-9FBA-7D130CA5516D.jpeg

This pebble managed to completely disable my front brake. It was very surprising coming into a turn having a completely stiff lever.
    JustinP, KiwiPewe, FlyingFish and 4 others like this.