Husqvarna 701 Super Moto and Enduro!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Dozer720, Aug 13, 2015.

1. ThuleSwe

ThuleSwe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking to buy a shims kit for my 701, 2019 doing valves myself for the first time on this bike.
    Are the shims the same as on the older engines (that has a different head) ?
    The 10.0 mm are the right ones?
    Thinking of getting something like Hotcams HCSHIM31 kit. Will it work?
    Suggestions of kits much appreciated.

Cheers
    Jan
  2. Honda Rider

Honda Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I may have just experienced the clutch slave cylinder o-ring issue but not sure.

I have a 2020 701 with about 1200 miles. I rode it this morning for about 3 hours on a combination of gravel and country roads. Worked perfectly. As I was heading home I stopped at a stop sign and when I let the clutch out just a fraction of an inch it grabbed and killed the bike. I can pull the clutch all the way in and start it but when I let the clutch out just a little bit it would kill the bike. Then after a couple of tries the clutch would not disengage at all. I was able to roll the bike and start it while in gear and rode the rest of the way home. Strange thing though, after a few miles I noticed that the clutch actually worked again but not as good as it did. It was still just a little grabby but I had to stop for traffic and was able to pull the clutch in and stop and then feather the clutch out and start again as normal.

Any idea what just happened?

This does not seem like the same behavior I have read when the clutch slave o-ring goes out.

Engine was not hot and was running around 170 to 180° based on OBD data on the dashboard.
  3. Jan from Finland

Jan from Finland Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Scary! There must be somewher a CNC machined anodized bling guard protecting just from that. :lol3 One in a million shot.
  4. Jan from Finland

Jan from Finland Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It must be the o-rings because it didn't disengage at all. Sidestand switch could kill the engine, but wouldn't feel grabby.
    Honda Rider likes this.
  5. ThuleSwe

ThuleSwe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like the classic clutch slave failure..
    Your dealer should fix it for free if still warranty and it will run again for 6 months and fail gain.. My experience..
    Or you put a new O-ring yourself in, not a KTM one this time and hopefully you are safe from now on.
    JoeMongo, Yukon Ho! and Honda Rider like this.
  6. NoelJ

NoelJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Since I couldn't find this combination when I went looking, thought I'd post up a recent modification. I installed Flexx bars - the recommended adventure bend - with my pre-existing HDB guard/clamp set up. To make the bar fit, I had to cut 1/2" off the ends and slightly notch the round to square transition for brake master clearance. To allow them to flex as designed, I opened up the mounting hole at the bar clamp to 5/8" and captured the bar with a flange busing for the 8mm bolt, and filled the gap with hard rubber washers. Turned out well:

20210910_195346.jpg

The foam rally grips are part two of the vibe reduction; the challenge there was heating them - I used the Bikemaster controller for my old grips and wired it to Heat Demon elements. The foam grips slow the transfer of heat but they still do their job.
    Kiwirich likes this.
  7. Motoriley

Motoriley Still riding like crap after all these years.

Oddometer:
    Looks like a fried rectifier/regulator. Ordered a MOSFET one from Rick and a used one from EBay as a spare. Silly design requiring removing body work and rear rack to get airbox out so out came the step drill.
    IMG_0931.jpg

IMG_0936.jpg
    IMG_0935.jpg
    cookieGB likes this.
  8. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did the LBL 200 on my 2020 701. About 110 miles of single track and 100 or more dirt and paved connecting roads. I have never been so tired. I lost the stock skid plate on day two. On the hunting scale my bike was 343lbs and took 2.5 gallons of gas after. The lower seat heigh saved me a few times even at 6ft1 I think I was able to prevent some drops though not all. Lost a lens to my clear glasses day one. Finished in hunter tompson orange ray bands.

the 606 as rear was great and fuck the TCK 80 front.

606 made more vibration than the engine.

so I need a skid plate before next weekend
    And I no longer have the stock mirrors.

skid plat recommendations please?
  9. NoelJ

NoelJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    AXP, Vanasche/Molecule for a bit more coverage [and price].
    Jan from Finland and smackyface like this.
  10. Toejamii

Toejamii Still Learning

Oddometer:
    AXP skid plate protects the rear brake master cylinder too
    lobotomy and Motoriley like this.
  11. Honda Rider

Oddometer:
    +1 on the Vanasche skidplate!
  12. Honda Rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Won't hurt to check it out. Gotta be that but can't understand why it started working again.

It is under warranty but it would cost more in time/travel to have the dealer work on it than it would to purchase a oberon. However, I bought a o-ring from slavens when i bought the bike and after reading this thread so I'm ready to try the o-ring first.

I was bummed at first but ecstatic when I was able to start it in gear and drive it on home. The quick shifter really made it easy.
  13. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are you fan boys or have you tested this? Know if I can get it by Thursday?

mounting HW looks like BS. Anyone hit some shit with this? I like small plastic plates. I get up side down and have to drag this bike up some banks and shit dont want a snaging plate
  14. Honda Rider

Oddometer:
    Own it, use it, recommend it. Not sure what you are reading into the HW but easy to install, remove for oil changes and is form fitting with no extra protrusions.

2.jpg

Also, if you are getting upside down, you are doing it wrong :jack
    Sharkdog likes this.
  15. JoeMongo

JoeMongo ¿Por dónde? Supporter

Oddometer:
    SF Bay Area, not exactly dirt moto heaven
    If you are interested in metallic, I'm very happy with all of my Black Dog skidplates. Have had three, still have two on my currents rides.

Re: delivery, well you'd need to call them to find out.
    j.
  16. smackyface

smackyface Boldly going wherever Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’ve bounced my Vanasche skid plate off big rocks at speed, slid it over logs, etc. I ride a lot of rough technical singletrack and I’m a big guy. There’s been some wear on the bolt that connects it to the brake cylinder and some scuffs and scratches in the plastic but it’s all cosmetic so far. 12k dual sport miles on it. Highly recommended, and if I ruined it tomorrow somehow, I’d order another.
    greasyfatman likes this.
  17. Pooz

Pooz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As I wrote, the Husky failed again after 840 km.
    The shock absorber squeaked suddenly, like in Morocco. Trouble is, all the parts were maintained 10.000 km ago.
    I could find a guy to repaired the shock in emergency. The piston and the sealants were changed. Here the "old" one :
    [​IMG]
    On the right, you can see the scratch. The mech changed it by a new part with much less play, so the bottom part is well guided and don't have this lateral 5mm play...

And new disorder, I had to struggle with this error code :
    [​IMG]
    Three time in a week, I couldn't start the bike. I need to erase the error to start the bike. Trouble is, I needed to remove all the luggage from the seat to clear the error...

All that confirm that I cannot trust this bike. It's definitely not a travel bike.
    And the maintenance is way too heavy. The 640 Adv need less maintenance and is more reliable than the Husky.
  18. bikerjim2000

bikerjim2000 Tree Top

Oddometer:
    Foam grips suck wet/muddy. Be careful brother!
  19. NoelJ

NoelJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the warning; I'm certainly ready to tear them off if they disappoint. There's a pair of 714's ready to go in their place if necessary!
  20. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I definitely got it wrong a few times yesterday. No part of me doesn’t hurt. Skid plate is ordered but I got a pop up that said they are closed for west rally mid week. Hope I get a plate before red river.