Husqvarna 701 Super Moto and Enduro!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Dozer720, Aug 13, 2015.

1. MaZ-

MaZ- Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys - I ended up taking it into a shop here in France (on the road, so was a little wary of trying too much myself and ending up stranded on a camp site ). It looked to me like it had enough fluid in the reservoir but the shop couldn't bleed it properly (from what I could tell they were using a vacuum on the Oberon bleed nipple).

They ended up taking the entire reservoir / MC off the bike and putting it in an ultrasonic cleaner. Suspect the opening between the reservoir and the MC itself was somehow blocked.

Unsure where the fluid that should have been in the circuit was but maybe it did indeed leave via the bleed port, which I didn't check before getting to the shop...
    NoelJ likes this.
  2. dirtystevedirt

dirtystevedirt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bought my 2016 in the crate new. Have 28,xxx miles now.
    Fuel pump went out at 21,xxx miles.
    Put an Oberon slave cylinder around 18,000 miles, not because the oem failed, but to shut up the failure voices in my head.
    LOTS and LOTS of tires.
    Oil changes every 3000ish miles.
    Valve checks every 5-6k.
    Tons of fun and lots of great memories.
    4CS forks aren't terrible. They can be made to your liking by almost any suspension shop or Dal Saggio kit on your dime.
    Notchy shifting? Not really, but 5th to 6th needs to be deliberate. You get that for free on newer ones too! LOL
    Engine vibes? I raced CR500's for many years. Now those things are paint shakers. 2016 701, not so much.
    Steve.......
    KiwiPewe, Blakebird, sharpie1 and 7 others like this.
  3. Chip Stevens

Chip Stevens Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Talking about shifting a 701. Just shift it like a BMW and like me you will never miss a shift.
    Kiwirich and cookieGB like this.
  4. Dryslick

Dryslick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Steve. I pulled the trigger, added a vanilla milkshake to my orange koolaid. The bike was as clean in person as it was in pictures. Looking forward to putting some miles on it.

Funny story. I normally assume I’m dealing with a guy on Craigslist. This bike was owned by a gal, and a very interesting one at that. Spends a lot of time on bikes and her and her partner had garage full of them. Good folk.
    Jthewood, KiwiPewe, Riel and 5 others like this.
  5. NoelJ

NoelJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've got two of these bikes and in both cases the shifting got much better a couple thousand miles in. Probably a bit me learning what it should feel like, but definitely a mechanical improvement as well.
    And yeah...the tires. Holy hell they eat tires. Worth it.

The 16 definitely vibrates more - mine's an SM. The Enduro is an 18. They're very similar, but the Enduro runs full knobby tires to erase the balance-shaft advantage!
    Dryslick likes this.
  6. Tyestick

Tyestick Hooligan at heart

Oddometer:
    To clean up the shifting ‘issues’ on my bike I made two changes:

1. Factory Pro shift kit w/ ceramic bearings.

This, by itself eliminated any false neutrals I was experiencing.

2. Shift Star.

This is a beefed up, updated piece that eliminated any sloppiness and made shifting feel more solid and direct.

EXTREMELY happy with the outcome.

Attached Files:

JHof44 likes this.
  7. smackyface

smackyface Boldly going wherever Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’ve been thinking of the shift kit but keep convincing myself that my technique is the problem. Good to see a positive review. Cost is reasonable so maybe I’ll finally do it.

Who makes the shift star?
  8. NoelJ

NoelJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    That shift star may already be in your bike - they switched over to a metal injection molded [MIM] part in I think 2017, but a high failure rate from the pins breaking off caused them to revert back sometime later; perhaps 2019 mid-year? It's the OEM part they've used in 99% of 690/701's since early on.
  9. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    What year is your bike again?
  10. Tyestick

Oddometer:
    KTM. Item number:

Attached Files:

XLEnduroMan likes this.
  11. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just for size comp and lack of space in my getmo. A kdx 220 and a 2020 701 close 99104CCC-97C7-4A0C-8A80-6AD431528D7E.jpeg
    Yeti2ride and JHof44 like this.
  12. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    I would like to poll the collective on their thoughts on the Fly by wire throttle system, I am thinking of getting a 701 to race the Africa Eco Race and question the reliability.
  13. Tyestick

Oddometer:
  14. NoelJ

NoelJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't recall hearing of a single failure.
    wrk2surf and Motoriley like this.
  15. zoink

zoink Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    KTM rally replicas still use a cable...so I guess KTM doesn't think it's ready for the big time. Cables are definitely easier to work on in that environment. Though they're typically much slower to adapt newer tech to those bikes, didn't switch to using EFI until 2015 so it's hard to say what's holding them back. Probably a lot of if it ain't broke don't fix it when you're squeezing the life out of a bike day after day in the desert.

Definitely not something I've personally seen anyone have an issue with, outside of the one guy who never clearly defined the issue outside of maybe the TPS and swapped a carb on his bike here:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/701-build-notes.1437561/page-3#post-41024532

That said not a lot of people ride their bikes in that kind of environment.

If you're super worried about it, lots of info on carb swap in that thread and he posts in here every so often so could probably help you out.

Also you could try and get in touch with some of the guys/teams that run these bikes and see what they have to say about it.
    From what I could find on the 2020 list there's 2 701s listed. None in 2018/2019. There's one guy who ran a 690 but I can't find any info on him/his team.
    Rally team ees
    https://www.facebook.com/energiaesorrisi/

Roger Hawkins
    Rode for desert rose
    http://www.desertroseracing.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/adventureridingacademy/
    here's also a thread I found by his brother
    https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/522281-Africa-eco-race

Rally is awesome, I'll never be fast/rich/brave enough to race a big one, so I just follow what I can. If you pursue using the 701 curious to see what you find out and how it goes. Though I'm curious if you're going for 450+ class, why the 701 over a ~500cc sized bike?
    wrk2surf likes this.
  16. willh

willh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bikes been dongled for O2 and abs. 15 tooth going on today. Who is the go to for spacers for the throttle slop on a 2021?
  17. willh

willh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Countershaft seal is leaking…
    This is starting to remind me of my old 640.
  18. DIYPSCM

DIYPSCM Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Got mine from a guy in the UK... cheap & work great. Link is in this thread... somewhere.
    willh likes this.
  19. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    You sure? Or did you over lube the chain?
  20. willh

willh Been here awhile

Oddometer: