Husqvarna 701 Super Moto and Enduro!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Dozer720, Aug 13, 2015.

1. willh

willh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Unless that’s assembly lube that’s melted and runny
  2. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
  3. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    My fork is leaking think it made the suspension better lol.
    willh and Foo Bar like this.
  4. zoink

zoink Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone know what the air gap is on the 275mm xplor forks? My manual only lists a capacity. Just doing a dump and fill so would rather use gap for accuracy.
  5. NoelJ

NoelJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    About half these bikes seem to ship with loose c'shaft nuts; check that before you assume it's a bad seal. They leak with it not properly torqued.
  6. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
  7. willh

willh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It is now. I slapped on a 15t.
  8. Brmax

Brmax Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For the industry as a whole; if its fuel injected it has it built in one of the two option places, on the handle bar grip or down on the throttle body so in that regard it makes no difference industry wide imo. The system has been in use for quite some time as you know in other systems as automobiles etc etc.
    Personally I think its a good question you ask, and forces one to think what fails.
    Just try and think of all of your friends and who has mentioned a throttle position switch having failed or the typical “ a stutter at some position “
    I would surmise you cant raise all fingers on a hand with the total.
    But ive been wrong before, I do try to limit it to twice a year hahaha
  9. Fatallybitten

Fatallybitten Slow and getting slower Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a 2018 701 Enduro with ~25,000 kms on it. The cam chain tensioner has failed in the middle of a trip and it will be at least a week before I can get replacement parts. In the course of figuring out what happened I learned that the CCT on the 2018 was modified in model year 2019 when the new version of the KTM 690R was released as well. Seems the CCT in the 2018 models can fail, as mine has, which results in an extremely loud and persistent rattle, and can result in engine damage if the cam chain skips a cog or two. So a word of caution to 2018 owners, you may want to change the CCT before it fails. It isn't particularly expensive and is a job you can do in a few hours. I wish I had known about this issue earlier and changed out the CCT for the 2019 part proactively. It would have spared me a bunch of grief.
  10. Dryslick

Dryslick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just did an 80 mile loop this afternoon. Rode from the house, did a nice section of curvy asphalt, some forest service roads and quite a bit of two-track & four-wheeler trail. Really pleased with how the bike works. The motor is a treat. I think what I like best is that it’s equally happy poking along as it is revving to the moon. The suspension will probably need work. I’m 22 clicks out on compression front and back and it’s still pretty darn stiff. I’m wondering if its got heavier than stock springs. I know a guy, so we’ll get it sorted out. And apparently it’s got the ABS dongle! It’s a much better bike for me than my 990’s were. Now I know what all the fuss is about!

Attached Files:

11. NoelJ

NoelJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    What's the process to change it? I'm curious how much disassembly is required. This is the first I've heard of an upgrade for the tensioner. Or maybe there was a bad batch of them?
  12. dirtystevedirt

dirtystevedirt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty sure that the OEM is a 15. Did you replace it due to wear?
    Another issue with non OEM sprockets, some not all, is they are narrower. That makes them nearly impossible to make them seal. They will torque but will not seal.
    greasyfatman likes this.
  13. Tyestick

Tyestick Hooligan at heart

Oddometer:
    OEM is 16 on the front, 42 on the rear.
    willh likes this.
  14. Fatallybitten

Fatallybitten Slow and getting slower Supporter

Oddometer:
    The CCT is located on the left side of the engine case. It is behind the frame, but removing the header will give you the access you need to remove the old one and install the replacement. I will have to do more disassembly because I am going to examine and probably replace the plastic sliders since the malfunctioning CCT may have lead to the cam chain scoring the sliders. It is also worth watching a video on changing it out. There are several on Youtube.
  15. willh

willh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply, SM comes stock with a 16t. I replaced with factory 15t yesterday for more bottom end as it manly does city commuting and canyon carving. Bike only has about 2300 km on it.
  16. JHof44

JHof44 AlteredAdjuster

Oddometer:
    Enduristan Blizzard XL’s fitted up. Just need to trim the straps. Very solid bags

IMG_0960.jpg
    Yeti2ride, KiwiPewe, hezv4 and 4 others like this.
  17. dirtystevedirt

dirtystevedirt Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is an o-ring behind that collar in the middle. That is where the leak is more than likely coming from. When mine went bad I bought the "rebuild kit" which contains the collar, o-ring, oil seal, washer and nut.
    willh likes this.
  18. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    What front tire is that?
  19. willh

willh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I replaced the seal on my 640 and it didn’t leak again. I’ll clean it up and keep an eye on it. The bikes still under warranty so it’s their problem if it’s still leaking after the sprocket change.
    it’s back to the commute Monday so we’ll see.
    Thanks. Good to know about the rebuild kit incase of future issues.
  20. MaZ-

MaZ- Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Note: this is almost certainly a fuckup on my behalf.

I checked the rockers ~1200 miles ago ('16, casting 15) there was a tiny amount of side to side play in the exhaust roller but nothing else. No vertical play and aside from some visible marks, no scoring could be felt by fingernail. Everything moved good. Bike started and ran as normal.

Guessing I fucked up putting everything back together but I can't work out what.

Anyway. As far as I can tell, the rocker arm bearing siezed and it's just been rubbing on the cam without rolling at all.

Looks like recovery to the nearest bike shop, and at least new camshaft, both rockers and a couple of oil changes is on the cards :doh

Does anyone know if it's possible to replace the cam shaft without removing the engine from the bike?

IMG-20210926-WA0007.jpeg IMG-20210926-WA0003.jpeg IMG_20210926_181705.jpg IMG-20210926-WA0001.jpeg