Husqvarna 701 Super Moto and Enduro!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Dozer720, Aug 13, 2015.

1. JHof44

JHof44 AlteredAdjuster

Oddometer:
    Pirelli MT21
  2. Brmax

Brmax Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If I can repeat what many before have mentioned; the oem hydraulic style tensioners are a surprisingly loud design even when new! This Im aware of, again like others, and this is up to 2020. But there has been mechanical styles available and in some discussion here. I haven't as yet replaced, but Im confident these mechanical style options are in my interest. Just my opinion!

ps: i believe the removal of the exhaust is in ones interest for ease of r&r
  3. Big_John

Big_John That'll be the day

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Well, I am finally a part of the club. Found a lightly used 2018, 701 and pulled the trigger yesterday. Have only ridden it for about 30 minutes, a mix of pavement and dirt, and WOW this bike is a nimble beast. I am thrilled with my purchase.

Now I have to make it my bike, as I am 6'4", which will require some goodies and a hit to the bank account.

Last night I ordered....

Seat Concepts Tall Comfort foam and cover
    2" ROX Risers
    Knight pegs that are 1.3" low
    Perreli MT21's
    Ultra-duty Tubes
    Double Take Mirrors
    Grip Heaters and new Grips

For now, I am not sinking more money into a Wings Pipe and Emissions Delete, rather I will stay with the factory tune. Maybe down the road. Also, I will wait to do something about the suspension, as I normally and immediately purchase Hyperpro Progressive springs. I want to ride the bike to see if I like it how it is. I have read more people complaining about the stiffness of the stock suspension.... and if that is the case, it might be perfect for my 250lbs.

The bike came with a nice skid plate, heavy duty bark busters and has the passenger rider pegs. It also has rear hand-holds for passenger and it as a really cool LED brake light and blinkers, deleting that big tail on the stock bike.

This little dongle came with the bike and I had no idea what it does until I did a little research. It is a kick stand switch delete.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Doc Sarvis and JustinP like this.
  4. NoelJ

NoelJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    You may find this interesting:
  5. Big_John

Oddometer:
    Am I correct that a 16T is the standard front sprocket for the 701E?

Has anyone moved to a 15T for backcountry, mountain riding? What does it do to the top end, when in 6th gear?

I see that JT makes a 15T in a rubber cushioned sprocket, supposed to drop noise and increase chain life.

6. raschaa

raschaa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    beyond the 7 mountains, with the 7 dwarfs
    That is THE best resource about the camchain tensioner. If you follow his advice, you will see that the hydraulic cct is the best for that motor.

15t is standard for the enduro, 16t for sm models.
  7. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I run stock gearing on the 2020 I don’t think I will change it. I have solved the bottom end power issues and I can get the bike to chug. Have done a bunch of single track and some WV hill climbs. A tooth in the rear maybe.
  8. Doc Sarvis

Doc Sarvis Advent-ia before dementia Supporter

Oddometer:

Better hop on the slave cylinder now if it hasn't been addressed previously. I did the o ring replacement at 400 miles when the stock failed and that worked fine until I put a Rekluse clutch in and the slave came with it.
  9. Big_John

Oddometer:
    Thanks.... I do want more grunt in the bottom end, low RPM's, so I will re-gear. Where I ride it will be a very, very rare occasion where I am on a road that has a speed limit above 55mph.

I do not want to drop to a 14T, so I will probably jump up 2 or 3 teeth in the rear.

Haven't heard anything about this, so I guess I need to back up some pages and do some reading.

Anyone with a quick link? ..... or even a BLOG post or YouTube video that would help me????????

10. HBSURFDAD

HBSURFDAD Let's go see what's over there Supporter

Oddometer:
    I run a 14/51 on the trails around here, and swap to a 16/51 on my adventure type rides. The 14/51 gives me a 97mph top speed for reference. Stock gearing was worthless off road for our local deserts. The 16/51 (15/48 equivalent) cruises at 80mph all day long, on a closed course............

If i could only do 1 gear set it would be 15/51 (106 top speed, who needs more). This gets discussed every year in this thread, the search function will provide you many more examples.
    Big_John likes this.
  11. Brmax

Brmax Been here awhile

Oddometer:

It may be an interest in figuring how to slow the engine rpm down in the low end. This likely requires some system work with ecm or fuel or both. Sprocketing lower still has to much speed for a lot of tractoring I like
  12. raschaa

raschaa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    beyond the 7 mountains, with the 7 dwarfs
    No need to back up... just be aware that its not a question of if, but when the clutch slave will fail on you.
    There are multiple options:
    - throw money at it and get a Oberon, Rekluse or Sigutech slave and most likely be done with it.
    - throw slightly less money at it and install piston and seals (slave rebuild kit) off of the more or less identical (to the Magura) Brembo clutch slave that was used by KTM/Husq previously.
    - buy a Oring for the slave piston and carry it around with you and wait for it to happen...

I did the latter cause I'm not willing to throw that coin at a bike that cost over 10k to begin with. The last option does mean having to remove/disassemble the slave and then bleeding it, not necessarily a great field operation scenario 100 miles from civilization... I got lucky and the slave failed on my daily commute 20min. from home. Done 8000km since the oring swap and have an extra one on the bike as a lucky charm. ;)
    ymmv
  13. NoelJ

NoelJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think I see a hint of blue bling where the slave is - check to see if the PO already bought an Oberon!
    bikerjim2000 and raschaa like this.
  14. mjskier

mjskier Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What goes on this bracket?

Attached Files:

15. Rodknee

Rodknee the post is mightier than the sword...

Oddometer:
    Hello all, I recently jumped back into the supermoto fray and put a deposit on a 701 SM.

I am trying to figure out what the best cost effective LED headlight is. There are a gazillion options out there. The bike will not be used offroad, but i want a little more output then the stock headlight, high and low beam and it has to be stout setup.

I am not a fan of the cyclops bulb replacement, as i had one fail in dramatic fashion on my Alaska trip, and it was a PITA to find a replacement up there...

Thoughts? Thanks!
  16. BrittC

BrittC Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    A clamp for the rear brake hose.
  17. ThuleSwe

ThuleSwe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, happend to me..
    DeLewis and willh like this.
  18. DIYPSCM

DIYPSCM Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I know you don't care for Cyclops but they have a special model that is plug n play with the 701's "special" mount... that made my choice.

Scroll back a couple of pages... I posted some pics of the light output.
  19. XLEnduroMan

XLEnduroMan Husky Head.

Oddometer:
    I bought these here. Used 1 and pumped in all new fluid. Working fine. Cheap, easy and effective.

Metric EPDM 70 Orings 22 x 2.5mm Minimum 10 pcs - OringsandMore
    Big_John, greasyfatman and raschaa like this.
  20. smdub

smdub Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Huh. I didn't know there is a 701 specific version. I just bought another of the regular KTM/Husky ones. It seemed to fit fine. Whats unique about the 701?