Husqvarna 701 Super Moto and Enduro!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Dozer720, Aug 13, 2015.

1. dirtystevedirt

dirtystevedirt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Who did you purchase it from? I ordered mine from Slavens and it dropped right in. I believe mine is a 9.X so a little heavier rate than yours.
  2. Honda Rider

Honda Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I run a 52 on the rear then I can use a 14, 15 or 16 tooth sprocket on front. I generally run a 16 for daily use with a combination of dirt and asphalt. For a day of crawling I'll use the 15 and will use the 14 on occasion but running on asphalt with it is painful.
    HBSURFDAD likes this.
  3. mjskier

mjskier Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got it from Slavens too.
    After sleeping on it I got help pushing the rear down a bit which moved the linkage into the right position for everything to line up.
    So basically, taking a step back and re-evaluating things is a good tactic when the urge to grab a large hammer gets too strong.
    Kiwirich, dirtystevedirt and willh like this.
  4. Graniteone

Graniteone 3,2,1...Beer me! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just ordered, now going for a ride.
    Yukon Ho! likes this.
  5. RockHard_RideFree

RockHard_RideFree Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good day all!

I am about to downsize my KTM 1090 ADV R for a 701 Enduro and I am super psyched. I am planning on using the 701 as a light adventure bike, riding some highway to get to offroad routes like NEBDR, Trans Mass Trail, etc. I am planning on doing the seat concepts seat and maybe a windshield, but is there anything to consider right off the bat?

I am not looking to go insane with farckles, just a few key items to set the bike for my use. Any insight would be much appreciated!
    ocimpean likes this.
  6. Big_John

Big_John That'll be the day

Oddometer:
    Looky....... Looky........ Looky, what I found!

Slave cylinder issue has already been solved.

[​IMG]
    NoelJ, KiwiPewe and willh like this.
  7. Big_John

Oddometer:
    Wife has started working on her Doctorate, so with her in the office being a good student, I dove out to the garage this morning for some wrench twisting on my new bike.

1. Rox Risers and a pair of Ned's mirrors.
    2. Lowering Knight Pegs
    3. Fresh Oil change and new filters

When I went to storage the other day, I found a tire that I forgot I had.... Motoz-Tractionator-130-90-18-Rear. I had already ordered the Pirelli MT21, so now I need to decide which goes on first.

For about 6 years now, I have been a big fan of the IRC TR8 Desert tire, in the front of most of my bikes. It is really rugged with big, strong knobs, and for mixed riding it lasts a long time for the price. (Purchased 4 of them last year for $52 a tire). They are WAY better tire than the TKC's.

Anyway, here's some pics of my handy-work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Norty01 and KiwiPewe like this.
  8. Dolly Sod

Dolly Sod I want to do right, but not right now Supporter

Oddometer:
    So, are there any other options for a wide ratio gearbox on this thing beside the NOVA Racing $2k jobby?
  9. dirtystevedirt

Oddometer:
    Replace the entire clutch slave cylinder with an Oberon or Rekluse or replace the internal o-ring in the OEM with an EDPM. I think the record holder for failure is around 15 miles. Do this before you even head down to the corner coffee shop.
  10. dirtystevedirt

Oddometer:
    I believe the Nova is the only one.
  11. Dolly Sod

Oddometer:
    Dang.. I've got my eye on one of these, but it blows my mind that the 5spd gearbox on my 640 has more range than the 6spd on a 690/701.

640 is starting to feel long in the tooth, and this looks like the best replacement.
  12. mjskier

mjskier Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You'll have to figure out how to carry luggage.
    My bike came with this set up. It looks like a combo of
    minimalist rack https://vanaschemotorsports.com/products/minimalist-pannier-racks-husq-701
    and the Perun rack https://ktmtwins.com/products/perun-moto-luggage-rack-black-husqvarna-701-enduro-supermoto-2016-2017

Attached Files:

• rack.jpg
      rack.jpg
      File size:
      488.1 KB
      Views:
    Honda Rider and Sno Dawg like this.
  13. Brmax

Brmax Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The chain guide is a great point of interest and will be a need to upgrade, I think. As Im with the 14-48 rear, and is in my opinion on the borderline. There seems to be many more than just me with the true need for low end speed reduction for tractoring. I plan to look into what others have worked through
  14. Honda Rider

Honda Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What bags are you using with the minimalist racks?

Andrew built me a set and they are shipping next week. They look nice. I am hoping a Kriega US-10 or US-20 will strap right on for day rides.
  15. Big_John

Oddometer:

I guess I don't understand the issue with the tranny and this bike. I just got home from an hour of very, rough trail riding and I have absolutely no complaints, except I want a lower 1st gear.

90% of my riding was in 2nd or 3rd gear and it was outstanding. Only 2-3 times, did I want a tractor gear and had to slip clutch more than I wanted too.

KiwiPewe, husqvarna, NoelJ and 2 others like this.
  16. Dolly Sod

Oddometer:
    Honestly, it might not be a problem. I only have a little seat time on a 690, and had no complaints. But it was just blasting around gravel roads on a buddy's bike. I didn't have a chance to sample the slow or high speed engine characteristics. I loved the power, and the bike felt like a glove to me.

Looking at the ratios, both bikes (640adv and 690/701) have the same 1st gear 14:35, but the 5th on the 640 is taller than 6th on the 701/690. It's not taller by a lot 22:18(5th) v 23:20(6th), but it is taller.

I run stock gearing on my 640 and find 1st to be fine for what I do. I'll save the ultra slow techy stuff for my 400. I am occasionally looking for a 6th gear on my 640. I wish it would cruise better at 70-75 than it does, but honestly I don't want to do that unless I'm forced. My 640 is great for "trails" and anything up to about 65mph.

I just need to get some real time on a 690/701 and figure it out.
  17. sjh

sjh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's the answer, possibly a lot more time. I've had two 701's (first stolen at 12k ish miles) & on both I've found the engine does seem to loosen up & rev a lot more freely after about 7 or 8 thousand miles. For the first 5k or so I felt the bike was uncomfortable at 30mph in any gear. I feel they (the newer engine anyway, only had limited time on the non-secondary-balancer shaft engine) sit at 75-80mph in 6th without feeling like you're stressing the engine or excess vibration, and still has a fair bit to go - though i do drop to 5th to pass traffic.
  18. seasider

seasider Just a rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a new to me 701 set up with tusk luggage racks and also has a tail rack I believe it is the perun and I am curious as to whether anybody else out there has both of these racks mounted together and which one would be the first to mount with the other one on top if it is possible. 16332692541747633380114802879821.jpg
  19. Trailryder42

Trailryder42 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It seems to me that if the luggage rack has any kind of lower/forward mounting point (can't tell in the picture), if you put them over the tail rack, then the lower mount point for the side racks wouldn't align. I'm guessing the tail rack is going to have mount over the top of the side rack. I don't think that's a Perun. Unless they do something different for the 701, the Perun plate doesn't have that center hooked strap slot.

I can't remember what company it is that does that.
    Brmax likes this.
  20. JHof44

JHof44 AlteredAdjuster

Oddometer:
    Looks exactly like my Perun rack. I run rackless bags though so can’t help you on the side racks.
    greasyfatman likes this.