Husqvarna 701 Super Moto and Enduro!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Dozer720, Aug 13, 2015.

1. tomasv

tomasv Check the Czech!

Oddometer:
    Same price or lower as the Aluminum options out there
    Doc Sarvis likes this.
  2. Doc Sarvis

Doc Sarvis Advent-ia before dementia Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did a little searching and didn't come up with much. Horns. I actually used mine the other day and almost didn't hear it. It sucks. Anybody installed a Denali Soundbomb or any other that makes more than a dog fart on the Db's?
    Honda Rider likes this.
  3. dstutz

dstutz Long timer

Oddometer:
    :wave
  4. aprikh1

aprikh1 So long and thanks for all the fish

Oddometer:
    Thanks a bunch! You have a PM...
  5. KiwiPewe

KiwiPewe Coddiwomple Supporter

Oddometer:
    Go to your local car wreckers and get yourself a horn of a Mercedes A-class or similar. You might have to modify the connections, but otherwise quite workable.
    And sounds a lot better than the oem pos.
    Hth
  6. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Doc Sarvis likes this.
  7. Manic-Mechanic

Manic-Mechanic Form follows function… Supporter

Oddometer:
    Howdy y’all!!

Just joined the 701 family with a 2020 and had some Wings carbon fiber exhaust shield take-offs I just posted in the flea market if anyone is looking for some ;)
    EDIT: SOLD SOLD
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/wings-carbon-fiber-exhaust-shields-front-and-rear.1523542/

I’ll certainly have more updates here as This bike is a development sled for a few new products for the 690/701.

I’ve got a particularly cool setup I can’t wait to release more details on as well :ricky

C7301E56-5102-49A7-B85F-8A14626F0793.jpeg
    Yeti2ride and Todd157k like this.
  8. tomasv

tomasv Check the Czech!

Oddometer:
    Either you don't ride standing up or you are very, very toll.

I would not ride off road with that that guillotine shaped shield. It should have been no higher than the top of the tablet mount

I attended to a rider with one of the Givi airflow screens - not pretty. Teeth out, skin cut to probably dozen stitches - going to a neck area would easily result in decapitation....
  9. JPA

JPA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There seems to be quite a lot of height adjustment available.
  10. Pooz

Pooz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maybe.
    But he can easily win 5 mph with backwind.
    Ha!
    Manic-Mechanic and raschaa like this.
  11. NoelJ

NoelJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's reeeeeeeally obvious that it adjust down a lot.
  12. Manic-Mechanic

Oddometer:
    lol. I am pretty tall at 6’2” and ride at least 30-40% time standing up :ricky (Enduro and hare scrambles background)

As mentioned by NoelJ as well; thats it’s highest position and unlike other fixed options moves down and would mechanically give to the impact of a riders body.
    It’s an interesting thought though; I just don’t see how a windscreen could do that?

I am truly curious as I’m constantly developing this idea/ product. What makes it more of a perceived danger than say a “rally” style fairing kit?

80EBD939-FCB9-4170-8BF0-1F75A0A0AAD7.jpeg

The top of my windscreen has a “spooned” forward direction for the riders safety and air compression, as well as a near vertical orientation. When your motorcycle hits an immovable object inertia carries the rider forward and with an angled back design such as a rally style KTM shield would have more of a possibility of the injury your describing I would think? With this design the windscreen would be hit almost square on in the inner face with a much larger surface area than the edge. Maybe if you were coming off a 20’ jump with near vertical drop in and complete bottoming out scenario. Lol

Again it adjusts down but the concept with more height is more coverage. At 6’2” on a full height enduro bike (Beta was my test sled for last year and a half) I have almost zero buffeting with exception to extremely windy days which we get around here extremely frequently…
    Rally style shields were designed for 100+ mph jaunts in the desert and not really cruising/ touring / adventuring so riders inevitably have buffeting as the wind hits squarely in the helmet 80% of the time (my experience from posts here and my own)
    The idea here is to allow for almost FULL wind/ weather coverage for the riders chest to helmet and allowing to store away for real off-road / single track jaunts.
    Id say this is more of a form follows function concept than the inverse of a rally setup which in my experience is all the look and cockpit area..
    (Prepare for flame … :annie)
    There is nothing more annoying that a fixed screen covered in mud in single / double track trail and since this stowes away when on the trails your back to being a dirt bike. Best of both worlds :smile6
    And oh yeah. The cost savings compared to a “rally tower” I’m trying to make an every-rider affordable (under $700 with lights… delivered) functional windscreen setup for all us dual-sport / lightweight adventure riders! :wings

It’s early and I think I may have went on a bit of a rant. Lol

pics of this setup 95% production on my Beta
    4B577489-86A5-4308-969C-E442A4A9F563.jpeg D2B38F96-BD19-4A1A-B308-8AC807F76F22.jpeg
  13. JPA

JPA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It would be quite easy to add adjustment for the angle of the screen to the upper attachment point with the quick release.
    Manic-Mechanic likes this.
  14. Manic-Mechanic

Oddometer:
    I actually played around with that concept a bit near the beginning.

Played with different angles of approach for the windscreen and settled on this for best wind deflection. Plus it made the windscreen run into the upper mount and during rough sections (I’ve been testing this setup in nearly extreme enduro conditions with zero issues) it became “wobbly”
    With the tracks the worst that happens is it just would drop (hasn’t happened yet…) as opposed to flopping back and fourth which could be a hazard.

But…
    Your point brings about an idea to accomplish the same in a different manner and rectify a small issue I had.
    I’ll work on that.
    Thank you! ;)

Hopefully in a week or so I’ll have some finalized install pics / video on the 701 as I’m designing a custom dash panel.
    Currently the plan is to provide a new mounting flange for the stock odo with multiple heights for different bar setups (I’m running nearly 3” higher than stock. Wow are they ever LOW!) and place the ABS button on the panel & indicators with holes for additional supplementary switches.
    Soon I’ll probably start a thread dedicated to this endeavor.
  15. NoelJ

NoelJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think a few pics of the screen in the lower position will help assuage any worries people may have. It looks stupid but comfortable all the way up [:D], but will certainly be sexier in the low position.
    Bhart89 likes this.
  16. Barry

Barry Just Beastly

Oddometer:
    If you get down to Fredericksburg, VA hit me up. I have a 2017 with smaller countershaft sprocket, +4 on the rear, slip-on, PC-V, stock suspension. You are more than welcome to take it out. Also has the Seat Concepts wider seat.

Barry
  17. Manic-Mechanic

Oddometer:
    I appreciate the positivity but the look only degrades in the down position in my opinion.. :rofl
    I personally like the up look.
    I’ve gotta get some mid level shots…

It is NOT the looks of a rally kit. I’m not gonna lie. Those things are DAM sexy!! :drif

65AC1F76-08E3-4BAB-8523-57BE05F46926.jpeg
    213C2608-60B4-435E-8C59-431EE51FFEA3.jpeg

What it does have on those style kits in my personal opinion is FUNCTIONALLITY!

Yes there is dash area; but it’s way out front and the windscreen is stuck right there until your sick of it and take 3 hrs to tear it all off.
    Out west, desert, ALL highway yes. Makes sense.

This was designed to allow the best of both worlds (have your cake and eat it too..)

Full on-road ability and off-road ability with a stop and 5 seconds..
    Plus mounting space to boot :D

Also; the nighttime vision ain’t half bad either…

9DED6F13-3AB6-4C9F-9852-DCEE6F9E4C30.jpeg D5C282DD-A351-4959-8CCA-DFEEFA018143.jpeg
    NoelJ likes this.
  18. NoelJ

NoelJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    For looks you'd want to use this: https://aomc.mx/76408008000.html

But I'm guessing you might lose the functionality of that upright screen with the turn-lip at the top. I remember when Aaron Steinman had a Nomad kit fitted to his 500 KTM. It lasted a couple days before the wind hammering his helmet caused him to remove it.
    Manic-Mechanic likes this.
  19. Manic-Mechanic

Oddometer:
    That’s what I’ve read and noticed as well.

especially at my 6’2”

unless your hunched over there’s no decent wind protection at speed; with any of the rally kits with exception to the older 950/990 adventure TALL screens.

The KTM rally screen really is sharp looking but poor functionality.

Again; those shape shields were designed to be a wind blocker at very high speeds for Paris Dakar at at our everyday speeds there is not enough abrupt angle to deflect the wind over the rider.
    And as for OEM’s they would never make a screen setup like I’m proposing for the same reasons seen here and other feedback I’ve gotten. “What’s up with that windscreen? :scratch

what’s up is serious wind deflection.
    I have a inmate that contacted the beginning of the summer interested (Trail Runner) and I sent him a kit to adventure and try out.

I’ll have to have him pipe in here with his hopefully unbiased opinion (he did not pay for the kit nor did I pay him anything for trying the kit out for full transparency)

With that all being said.
    I’m working on the windshield design staying virtually the same albeit with smoother bends ;)

Also. I just realized I’m kinda taking over the 701 thread with my BS so I’ll cut it out and start my own thread on this project tonight! Lol

sorry all!:norton

P.S.
    Thank you NoelJ for your feedback on jumping ship from the Beta to the 701. It was the push I needed ;)
    JHof44 likes this.
  20. jacinto

jacinto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    my windscreen cheap and functionel
    DSC_0842.jpg

DSC_0844.jpg

DSC_0864.jpg