Husqvarna 701 Super Moto and Enduro!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Dozer720, Aug 13, 2015.

1. Doc Sarvis

Doc Sarvis Advent-ia before dementia Supporter

Oddometer:
  2. Manic-Mechanic

Manic-Mechanic Form follows function… Supporter

Oddometer:
    No no guys STOP! Your ruining my business model!! Lol :rofl

in all seriousness thought.
    The rubbermaid trash can windscreens the DR650 guys make are a thing of beauty coming from a trash can. Lol
    Bhart89 likes this.
  3. blackSP

blackSP Im non praesto sum in orbita

Oddometer:
    You just gotta love those big rally towers. The bigger the better!

tower.jpg
    PYG RYDR, MaddMatt, Mad Matt and 11 others like this.
  4. waldecker

waldecker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How relevant are those "tests "for actual crashes ?
    Probably not at all I would think, looking at pics from real rally crashes ( remember ,over in the OZ section, the Ktm vs roo(s) ), the forces there are more complex. Guess there's a reason some manufacturers have given prototype carbon bits fitted with accelerometers to guinea pig riders to use in competition...
    Plus fatigue from vibration etc might play a role.
    Nice bit of kit though...
    Doc Sarvis likes this.
  5. Pooz

Pooz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    KiwiPewe likes this.
  6. tomasv

tomasv Check the Czech!

Oddometer:
    Agree on the complexity of forces - I slid my 701 under the bumper of a jeep (foot bones did not hold but foot pegs did, rally kit did as well) and it was interesting to see where the stress on the material was (white lines in fairing, windshield etc).

Vibration fatigue is much worst with Aluminum/Dural compare to composites. That is/has been proven. With Rade's stainless steel reinforcement inside the mounting point in the carbon I am going to trust it much more. Plus don;t forget they offer the lifetime warranty on the 701 carbon towers.
  7. Sno Dawg

Sno Dawg Long timer

Oddometer:
    Had a blast on my 701 in the PB500 today. I rode with two different groups and the trails were fast and flowy. I finally have my Scott Steering Stabilizer dialed in for sand, and I felt like I was cheating when we hit long-deep sand spots. This bike is so much fun to ride offroad, and I am constantly impressed by how smooth the engine is both on and off road.

Sno Dawg Screen Shot 2021-10-16 at 7.07.38 PM.png

I rode the first part of the day (65 miles) with this motley-looking crew who had a fast and fun pace.
    IMG_6168.jpg
  8. Honda Rider

Honda Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I replaced my clutch slave cylinder with a recluse after the OEM failed around 1200 miles. I'm pretty sure the clutch throw was short before I replaced the slave but after I replaced it, it seems very short. In other words I only use the last 20% of the throw of the clutch arm to disengage/engage the clutch. Is that normal throw for a '20 701?

I'm curious if it's because my clutch discs are worn. I am pretty sure that the slave cylinder has been bled correctly but I'm concerned that something is not quite right and will leave me stranded somewhere at some point. Any insight would be appreciated.
  9. Tangai

Tangai Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They changed the motor in 2017, but changed it again, new cylinder design, in 2018. From 18 on it's the same as the 19 and on KTM 690.
  10. Big_John

Big_John That'll be the day

Oddometer:
    The bike was phenomenal today, guessing the Motoz tire broke in and was better. Very rough desert riding, but the bike performed awesome.

[​IMG]
  11. Doc Sarvis

Doc Sarvis Advent-ia before dementia Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mine failed around 300 miles and I replaced the o-ring and it worked fine until I put a Radius X Rekluse in it. In both times that I had to re-bleed I found that reverse bleeding worked great and was pretty quick (other than getting the hose on the nipple which can be a royal PITA). Worn frictions should self compensate unless they are shot and you have run out of fluid.

1) Hose on nipple on slave with fluid in bottle.
    2) Master cylinder cap off with fluid showing.
    3) Push fluid up into MC and suck it out so so the level stays within the limits.

Should be a clear stream into the MC res pretty quickly. Button it back up. My lever disengages the clutch nearer the beginning of lever travel. Oh and make sure you are using the right DOT fluid. Ask me how I know this.
    Honda Rider likes this.
  12. Honda Rider

Oddometer:
    I wasn't sure how to say it but mine is like yours then. My clutch disengages at the beginning of the lever travel as well and by the time you've pulled it in 20%, it's fully disengaged. I noticed it was very little travel when I first got it but wasn't sure if it got less after I replaced the slave cylinder.

Thanks for the information about the clutch discs self compensating. My clutch plates seem to be working fine and I don't feel any slippage so hopefully it'll last a while.
  13. Honda Rider

Oddometer:
    Laid my bike down for the first time when I lost my footing trying to turn around on on a camber with loose soil. The bike was laying down hill where the wheels were higher than the tank. Nothing leaked out like fuel or oil but when I started it and rode it out of the woods, it died several times like it was out of gas or the tank vents we're stopped up. Finally got it back to camp and let it sit for 30 minutes while I looked it over better. Nothing looked damaged so I started it back up and rode around the campground then on the road at speed and no problems.

So my question is, what is the protocol for starting a bike that has been dropped and down for 10 minutes or so?

Any idea why it died so many times after I got it back upright?
  14. Maugrim

Maugrim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Never had any problems after same kind of dirt naps. It has always ran normal afterwards
  15. 2whl-hoop

2whl-hoop Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Do you still have the charcoal canister on the bike? On the 1*90s they get removed because they can get clogged with gas during a tip-over and then cause the bike bike to run like you described.
    renogeorge likes this.
  16. Honda Rider

Oddometer:
    Yep, it's still on there so that is interesting. Thanks for the tip. I'll search a bit for that.
  17. BrittC

BrittC Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
  18. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    When did the 701 get the Explorer forks? Thanks
  19. raschaa

raschaa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    beyond the 7 mountains, with the 7 dwarfs
    Yo, it's the charcoal canister... gets flooded and causes all sorts of problems if laid over to long...
  20. raschaa

raschaa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    beyond the 7 mountains, with the 7 dwarfs
    2019 iirc... (and it's Xplor)
    renogeorge likes this.