Husqvarna 701 Super Moto and Enduro!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Dozer720, Aug 13, 2015.

1. Manic-Mechanic

Manic-Mechanic Form follows function… Supporter

Oddometer:
    Finally getting a bit of a decent ride in on my new to me 701.
    Gotta say I LOVE this bike!
    I’ve pondered over getting one for years and wish I would’ve just jumped in earlier. lol

It brings back a bit of my old 640 Adventures I loved so much but with so many improvements! (Map switch, traction, ABS, lower center of weight!)

Hoping we can get a few more decently warm days in before winter sets in. If not then the Hippo hands seem to be doing the trick !!

Thanks to everyone on this thread for all the info and opinions as I’ve been lurking for years :D
    1993360B-130D-4C6B-AF88-B6EB61BB6E36.jpeg 46A7C5D8-1547-4BA1-B291-22249C81ED02.jpeg
    Dirt2007, Yeti2ride, Bhart89 and 6 others like this.
  2. Tizianomercante

Tizianomercante Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
  3. Tizianomercante

Tizianomercante Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just took her home today!! 2021 model, zero miles!!

everything from Rade garage has been ordered already :) Wings on its way as well! Few other modes from Vanasche snd Rottweiler too!! OMG I am broke !!
    Kiwirich, KiwiPewe, Jeremy K and 3 others like this.
  4. Manic-Mechanic

Oddometer:
    My first day of riding and aside from the bike being all around amazing for a light adventure sled two items stuck out in particular:

1) The power delivery with that almost 2-stroke power valve type powerband takes some getting used to. Thankfully the traction control is there as the rear end almost got away from me on a dusty tarmac corner when the power started picking up. Lol. I was asking for it horsing around.

2) OMG is that false neutral miss through all the gears is UNREAL ANNOYING!!
    I thought I had it down with “positive” shifting and not just taping the shifter but then that even stopped working.
    The quick shifter is great… when it works. Had a dozen plus miss-shifts and it’s the first bike I’ve ever experienced shifting this bad (those 5-6th miss shifts are teeth grinding nerve racking)
    I know there is the spring detent lever upgrade but seriously something has to be done with the shifting action. What though ?

I know the frustration has been voiced a thousand times before here but I just had to have my own vent. Haha.

Looking forward to some fun trips :ricky
    7CC90ABA-1BE1-4A5E-9073-EFD194871867.jpeg
  5. NoelJ

NoelJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have two of these - SM and E - and the missed shifts were never as bad as you describe, but the 5-6th was frequent enough to be annoying. It helped that I got accustomed to the bike. It helped a lot more when I got a couple thousand miles on the transmission. If the PO had the lever adjusted up for thick mx boots, you may need to drop it down to get a comfortable full click on it.
  6. Manic-Mechanic

Oddometer:
    It was a tad high and I adjusted it flat when I went through everything initially.

More than that; coming off the Beta (with a much lighter off-road only transmission of course ) the shifting action feels “elongated” and it almost feels as if there is a “click” 2/3 of the way through the shift action that creates some resistance to a full shift if not fully committed. Not as if something is wrong; just the character of this shift drum / cassette.
    It feels like I need to really push through the shift stroke.

Has anyone tried a shift lever with a shorter length?
    I wonder if it would lessen the stroke of the shift and maybe improve things?

I think I was also exasperating the issue but getting into the quick shifter and really hammering it. Boy when it works, it is a lot of fun popping through those gears :D

I can’t help shake the feeling that I’d be better off just clutching through the gears though… It’s almost more of a sure thing.
  7. Rodknee

Rodknee the post is mightier than the sword...

Oddometer:
    I put the 450 shifter on my 701, and it has a crisper feel, but i still find a bag full of neutrals on each ride.

I have the billet shift star coming (my bike is a 2019, so i am guessing i have the sh!ttycast piece) as well as the factory pro shift kit. Hoping those resolvethe issue or lessen it substantially.
    View attachment 3259955 View attachment 3259956
    View attachment 3259957
    Brmax likes this.
  8. srv256ss

srv256ss Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where are you getting a billet shift start from?
  9. Manic-Mechanic

Oddometer:
    I was wondering the same??

was also thinking about the factory pro shift kit as well..?

After today’s ride I’m about to hit “Buy it Now!” Lol

I’ve seen a lot of conflicting reviews though…
  10. srv256ss

Oddometer:
    I’ve got the shift kit but would be open to replacing the shift Star too if it’s a benefit.

On a side note, anyone ever converted these bikes to race shift? If so, how?
  11. NoelJ

NoelJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    The billet shift star is OEM in every 690 and 701 engine except a couple years - may 17 and 18? The MIM part that replaced it had a high failure rate and was discontinued.
  12. raschaa

raschaa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    beyond the 7 mountains, with the 7 dwarfs
    I also feel that shifting actually got a lot better after 5000-6000 km in my case. Maybe just adaption and the 450 shifter as well. I only really get the false neutral between 5th and 6th and that's been fairly rare the past 8000 km....
  13. Rodknee

Oddometer:
    I have a 2019, and according to the parts microfiche my bike has the sh!tty shift star. I purchased the billet one for $21 from rmatv, but it is on backorder, along with the factory pro shift kit. I figure i will crack open the clutch cover when both parts arrive, rather then do the job twice. If i have it already, then cool. If not, i will swap them both.

Anyone have a tall seat concepts seat? Curious about the profile of it. Is the whole thing 7/8 taller? Or is it just taller in the middle, ie flatter? I purchased the standard one last week, and am thinking i should have gotten the tall version...
    View attachment 3259941
    NoelJ and Manic-Mechanic like this.
  14. Manic-Mechanic

Oddometer:
    interesting…

I just looked on RMATV and it gives the same part number for 19’ and 20’. 76834115001

Is that the replaced part #(billet?)

Is that the part you ordered? (Says $33.32)

Also; they list the updated retention spring part as an updated number 60034023000 for $1.32

that might be something to grab as well as I’ve seen it mentioned that the new spring is heavier (as in the $120 wtf price kit.. :fpalm) and a couple of reviews of the pro shift kit in 20’ and 21’ bikes noted very little change in shifting and that the springs were very very similar.

If your gonna replace the star do the spring too!

This winter I’m gonna open her up (why did I just change the oil!?! :baldy) and see if I can tinker with the shifting mechanism with any improvement..
    JHof44 and greasyfatman like this.
  15. Rodknee

Oddometer:
    I found at least 4 different part numbers for the various years, two of them are the sh!tty star and two of them are the billet star.

Here is the 2019 microfiche part number

Screenshot_20211012-062612_Chrome.jpg
    Here is the one i was able to order (i forget what year, either earlier or later...)
    Screenshot_20211012-062716_Chrome.jpg
  16. sjh

sjh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What is the purpose of this bolt? From the repair manual & parts fiche i can't see it holding anything, is it for inspection?

I've got an oil mist around it, not losing anywhere near enough to worry about but still want to investigate a bit.

I can see on the parts fiche there's a rubber gasket behind it, so could just be nicked/slighty askew.

edit: suspect it might just be a result of machining the rocker arm journals?

DeepinScreenshot_select-area_20211024151609.png
  17. NoelJ

NoelJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just flop it onto the left side and no oil draining is required. Prop it up so there's no pressure on the shift lever. And be careful with the screw torque, there's a jillion stories of stripping cover holes. Very low torque requirement.
  18. srv256ss

Oddometer:
    IMG_8432.jpg
    Does anyone know the thread pitch of this hole on the swing arm? I’ve tried 1.5, 1.25, and 1.0 and none of those feel right.
  19. Rodknee

Oddometer:
    10x1.5mm is the droid you seek.
  20. srv256ss

Oddometer:
    That worked! Was afraid to use a tool to tighten but that worked. Can get it threaded by hand now that a bolt has been through it once.

Thank you!
    Rodknee likes this.