Husqvarna 701 Super Moto and Enduro!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Dozer720, Aug 13, 2015.

1. krussell

krussell Gravel Warrior Supporter

Oddometer:
    Brought mine home tonight from Bills Motorcycles Plus in Salem, OR. Foggy and cold for the 40 mi ride home. I didn't mind. They got two in, the other one's available.

15577994_1238408566236693_3045388721407504525_o.jpg
  2. Carlos Thomas

Carlos Thomas Fast not Furious

Oddometer:
    How was the 40 mile ride home on that seat? And how did that motor feel to you?
  3. DavidM1

DavidM1 Unicorn hunting

Oddometer:
    Blimey, Kevin, you must be a giant to flat-foot that bike. I only managed to touch on tip-toe. I'm even wondering if the SM could be lowered a bit.

Edit: Can the SM be lowered?
    Endorphin and 640 Armageddon like this.
  4. jsmiff22

jsmiff22 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Lol. I was thinking the same thing! "That dude is huge". Looks like a minibike!
    640 Armageddon likes this.
  5. Carlos Thomas

Oddometer:
    He looks to be about 6'5...that is my guess.
  6. krussell

Oddometer:
    I'd read so much about the horrible seat, but I didn't even think about it. However, I was preoccupied with new bike, 35F temp, fog, and it was dark too. I suppose on a nice sunny day I'd notice it more. It is slippery.

The ride was short, and I took it easy. It's definitely smoother than the KTM 690 was. At 60-70MPH the lower frequency stuff is gone, and it's reduced considerably every where else. There's high frequency feedback across the rev range, sort of like a WR250R. The mirrors are usable!

It's docile and friendly at low RPM, but there's definitely a beast within. Can't wait to get it fully broke in. I never found my KTM 690 lacking, so I'll be happy here.

There was some stop and go traffic getting out of town after leaving the dealer. Radiator fan came on, but was off in short order once I was under way.

When I got home I'd say my reaction was one of 'wow, this is really refined.' And while it was only an hour getting home, nothing hurt, my hands weren't tingling, etc.

6'4" 300lbs. When I walk through a dealership all the bikes cower, thinking "not me, not me, please keep moving."
    juno, Bhart89, 640 Armageddon and 7 others like this.
  7. krussell

Oddometer:
    Oh, I'm not sure if this has been posted here, they've addressed the melting blinker issue on the US bikes. :hmmmmm

IMG_20161221_174647.jpg

What's really funny is the foil was already peeling off. I'll likely get a Wings, and may get the KTM LED blinker kit too, so I'm not concerned.
  8. 1 Bored Clerk

1 Bored Clerk Mama, I'm goin fast!

Oddometer:
    Man, I hope some of these are still available when I sell my triumph...which will probably be in the spring since no one is buying a road bike in winter! I'm in the Portland area and now I know there is at least one less around here. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    TwoWheelLife likes this.
  9. seckinjo

seckinjo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the report! That blinker "solution" deserves its own satirical Didado vlog.

Any planned mods/farkles for your height? (6'4"/36" inseam here; pretty unbalanced and uncomfortable when I stand in pegs on most bikes, so hunched over; just gotta get better at it regardless.)
    Didado likes this.
  10. Carlos Thomas

Oddometer:
    Do you own a WR250 too? I heard about the stock mirrors. I am planning on the same bike, but I will probably go with the Highway Dirt Bike set up as I had good success with their handlebar protection and mirrors. For the life of me, I don't understand how a bike that is designed to go off-road does not have full handlebar protection. It just seems like that is a problem waiting to happen.

When I get one, I probably will get:

1. Flatland Skid Plate
    2. Highway Dirt Bike Handlebar Protection w/Mirrors
    3. Wings Exhaust
    4. GoldenTyre GT723 in the rear and GT216AA Fatty in the front after the stock tires get worn down or after a bad day off-road in muddy conditions (which ever comes first).
    5. Scott's Steering Stabilizer (BRP Edition)
    6. Mosko Moto Reckless 40 (maybe the 80 if I cannot figure out how to re-fuel easy as the 80 has a fueling hole and the 40 I believe does not).
    7. That Husqvarna letter "H" on that right/left side of the rear panels. I think that white space looks nice with the big Husqvarna graphic I have seen on some bikes already.
    So that is $2,000 in extras without new bags. Maybe my Wolfman bags will do for now...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    640 Armageddon, jsmiff22 and timeOday like this.
  11. Didado

Didado Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have both the 80 and the 40. I have the R40 attached with two G-hooks (in the back). You loosen the lower straps, slip the g-hooks out and slide the R40 forward and you fill up. It is much quicker then filling up the R80 where you have to undo the beavertail, take the bag out etc. Using g-hooks on the R80 hardly works. A loaded R80 is harder to slide forward so the 'tank' opening is a pleasure but the R40 is still much easier at the gasstation. I use the R40 for day trips and the R80 for camping.
    krussell and Carlos Thomas like this.
  12. jsmiff22

jsmiff22 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone wanting to get rid of their stock skid plate, please let me know.
  13. krussell

Oddometer:
    I'm looking for a 3" vertical increase between peg and grips. I did this on my 690 by 1) lower pegs, 2) BRP Scotts submount, and 3) different bar bend. I had Black Dog Cycle Works pegs, which were awesome, but just too big. I'll likely go a different route there. Between the pegs and the BRP mount I'll be close. I'll evaluate then and decide on bars.
    seckinjo likes this.
  14. krussell

Oddometer:
    I've owned two WR250Rs previously. I think the the 701 as a WR250R, but with beast mode.

I'll go with HDB as well, have on several bikes, great setup.
    dbradford, ZBone and Carlos Thomas like this.
  15. beefcake morris

beefcake morris Long timer

Oddometer:
  16. beefcake morris

beefcake morris Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am getting ready to do my first oil change. Does anybody know if the crush washers from a newer 690 are the same as on the 701's.
  17. trumphair

trumphair Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have brp submount with the extra spacer and -30mm pegs. Better but still not enough at 6-2. Seems like the max with stock cable routing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
  18. KiwiPewe

KiwiPewe Coddiwomple Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm replacing mine today. Wanna come around and pick it up? :lol3
    jsmiff22, Kanttura and dirtystevedirt like this.
  19. Antics7

Antics7 n00b

Oddometer:
    I ended up lowering my SM 25mm front and rear while i was having the suspension resprung/revalved. Had to cut and weld the sidestand to match.

Legendary.
    DavidM1 likes this.
  20. Endorphin

Endorphin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did you go firmer or softer? Do you know what the stock spring/fork rates are?