1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Husqvarna 701 Super Moto and Enduro!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Dozer720, Aug 13, 2015.

1. dirtystevedirt

dirtystevedirt Long timer

Oddometer:
    OOPS, forgot to order the billet dash with my HDB handguards. Which one do I need to order?

Found it. You think I would find it under a Husky section not the KTM. I see they offer the KTM with options for the idiot lights. Does anyone know if the KTM dash is the same? Would be nice to order that one so I can move all the warning lamps up with the dash.
  2. richgilb

richgilb n00b

Oddometer:
  3. deeyup

deeyup Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It seems to me, the UK eBay set are enduro sizes. 21"front and 18 rear.
  4. richgilb

richgilb n00b

Oddometer:
    Yes I just grabbed any size because actually you can get all sizes from all these people.
  5. jsmiff22

jsmiff22 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    They both look like Chinese knock-offs. If that's what you're asking.
    But hey, cheap is cheap.
    rainmaker8 likes this.
  6. krussell

krussell Gravel Warrior Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wired up GPS power last night. I had kept the GPS mount I used on my KTM 690, so I figured this would be a simple matter of of finding the ACC connectors under the headlight. It was, but the connectors were buried, and I cut a few wire ties I didn't need to along the way. Here's some pictures of where I found them.

This first picture is after removing the headlight before doing anything.

IMG_20161225_134234.jpg

I undid the bundle in the upper left but didn't find what I was looking for. Then started looking around and caught a glimpse of what I was looking for behind the small metal plate.

IMG_20161225_134926.jpg

I removed the two screws securing the plate and found ACC1 and ACC2 hiding underneath.

IMG_20161225_135058.jpg

I don't know if I could have pulled them out from below without removing the plate. They were pretty wedged in there.

IMG_20161225_135223.jpg

Plugged in the cable I had made for the 690 and bundled everything back up.

GPS shows the speedometer about 5MPH fast at 60MPH with stock tires, which I expected.

Anyone know if there is a way to reprogram the wheel size, I couldn't not find anything in the manual?
    JCO likes this.
  7. dirtystevedirt

Oddometer:
    The speedo correction is in here somewhere. Maybe use search function "correction" No sarcasm intended.

It's odd where your Acc's were. Mine are in plain sight when I pulled the headlight. Must be different guys on assembly day?
  8. dirtystevedirt

Oddometer:
    ######Copied and pasted from earlier page#######
    So it may be only possible to set based on wheel size? Not so much for small errors based on different height sidewalls. I wonder if you are able to punch in actual size with that method or just the 3 sizes?

Yes, it is possible, did it when I installed my 19/17 wheels...

Remove headlight & cover, 2 screws on one side, one on the other
    Unplug main 8-cond connector to dash display
    Hold down both dash buttons for 10 sec., wait for "wheel size" to appear in rotation
    Change to desired value of circumference in mm:
    21"=2205mm, 19"=2020mm, 17"=1870mm
    jimj911 and 640 Armageddon like this.
  9. krussell

krussell Gravel Warrior Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was puzzled as well, they were in plain view on my 690 too.

Thanks for the assist, I'll give that a try.
  10. Didado

Didado Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mine were tucked away also. First time around I didn't find them at all.
  11. Didado

Didado Long timer

Oddometer:
    A known issue with the Huskies and its KTM daddy is the limited steering lock angle. It Sucks Royal. Today I turned the steering lock bolts in and managed to get an additional 12 degrees total steering lock angle without bunching up electrical and hydraulic cables. It went from 70 to 82 degrees. So now it no longer Sucks Royal but it just Sucks :-)

However, within the boundaries of suckiness, this particular suckness mod is a great improvement in real life. I really do notice the difference. I can now make 'tight' turns just manoeuvring the bike, such as turning it around in my tiny workshop, which was absolutely impossible before.

In a month or so I will be doing another OTR (trial for big bikes) and I'm sure some of the tight technical stuff will be somewhat easier because of the steering improvement.

On another note... My EFI warning light came on today (2017 model, 1500 km). I went home straight away and pulled the ECU. That made it disappear but what caused it I do not know.

IMG_2948.jpg

IMG_2950.jpg
  12. jacinto

jacinto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    this was the first thing i did, when i had de bike
    i was able to gain 5mm on each side,
    now the turn radius is fine, was one of the reasons not buying a 690.
    I like to "Trial" with the 701
  13. Didado

Didado Long timer

Oddometer:
    Between you and me in Dutch about OTR... Bas en Linda organiseren the OTR elke maand in Rotterdam.
  14. jacinto

jacinto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know,
    i am always working during the week-ends so no time for that,
    still 12 days work and then to Morocco :clap
    Didado likes this.
  15. Didado

Didado Long timer

Oddometer:
    Enjoy Morocco! I'm jealous :dllama:
  16. TrailCruiser

TrailCruiser Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a '16 with the blue shrouds and think the white look better. Would be happy to swap with someone in the US.
  17. Airhusky

Airhusky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Man everyone wants to change the original colors. To what ever the other person has.
  18. TrailCruiser

TrailCruiser Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    OIL INFO

I know, oil threads are generally held in disdain, but in the interest of contributing to the collective wisdom I thought I'd share an informative and factual dialog I had with Belray regarding oil for our 701's. I was checking out their product line one day and noticed they had a tech support contact page so I checked it out and submitted my question. Below is the dialog, my comments in white and theirs in red, enjoy!

=========================================
    I have a new Husqvarna 701 Enduro, the recommended oil is your EXS in 10w-50. I see you also have a full synthetic ester product in the same viscosity called "Thumper Racing Works", what is the difference? I am unable to find any difference on your web site, is this just a marketing tactic?

Randy,

Both the EXS and the Thumper products are both suitable for your Husky, they do have some slight differences. We usually recommend the thumper in single cylinder off-road bikes and the EXS for more street oriented riding. This is because the Thumper is designed with slightly more heat stable base fluid and some additional anti-oxidants due to high heat conditions more common in off-road riding. The EXS is able to utilize higher detergency base fluids for better engine cleanliness since in general street riding results in lower overall temperatures.

When Husqvarna was deciding the product to use, they did not want to recommend two different products for the 701 Enduro and the 701 Supermoto, so they went with the more general performance EXS for both bikes in order to consolidate.

So, neither product would be a poor choice as they both will perform very well, but there are some inherent advantages depending on the type of riding one does. I hope that answers your question for you, but if you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

With regards,
    Sir Tech

Sir Tech,
    Thank you very much for the prompt response that includes actual detailed technical information, I commend Belray! I do have a followup question: The Husky 701 as you likely know is based on the KTM 690 and is essentially identical in terms of the engine. KTM recommends 10w-60 for the 690 whereas Husqvarna recommends 10w-50. I see you offer 10w-60 in the Thumper line, would you recommend it for my 701 Enduro?
    Thank you,
    Randy

Randy,

The 10W-60 although suitable for the Husky and KTM engine designs is not an engineering necessity (read that although it works it is a bit overkill) and in general may cause hp loss. I believe it was back in 2005 that the KTM engines were having fuel dilution issues and at the time the fix was to use a thicker oil that sealed the piston circumference better and had more leeway in how diluted it could become before underlubricating. I believe it was 2007 or 2008 that those engine designs were replaced and the newer designs do not have those same problems. They continued to prefer the 10W-60 from the Motorex line though so it continued to be recommended for the KTM; however, when we established our relationship it was clear the 10W-50 product we offered was more than adequate to provide similar protection.

So to answer your question, yes the Thumper 10W-60 can be used, but it is not recommended or necessary to use the thicker oil unless you are experiencing some sort of problem with the 10W-50. If you think of any other questions, feel free to call or email us anytime.

With regards,
    Sir Tech

19. H3dlund

H3dlund Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cool info from Belray, nice done Trailcrusier!

Btw, service-book. I'm i missing one or do we not get one?
  20. GB.UK

GB.UK Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm missing mine to, got it in PDF form from Husqvarna but not the hard copy yet, mine was one of if not the first in the U.K. So just presumed they weren't out at the time but that was two months ago