Husqvarna 701RR Builds

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by David Coulthard, Feb 23, 2017.

1. wass

wass Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Since distances between pumps here in the land of the long white cloud are not what they are in the Australian outback I went for the Lite 701. Nav Tower arrived and greater part of Easter was spent deep down in the dungeon transforming this:

upload_2018-4-1_17-20-18.png

Into this:
    upload_2018-4-1_17-21-58.png

Build quality of kit is absolutely top notch. Got a sneak preview of what final Lite 701 kit looks like and am not at liberty to disclose, but it really looks OEM. Wished the bike rolled out of the factory like that.

First test ride with the nav tower:

a2zworks, Kiwirich, DR DAN and 2 others like this.
  2. David Coulthard

David Coulthard Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice, may end up putting the lite conversion on myself next year for when I do not need the range.
    DR DAN and wass like this.
  3. kreativ

kreativ OFFROADer

Oddometer:
  4. David Coulthard

Oddometer:
    @kreativ, for the battery monitor/voltmeter, see this post http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/husqvarna-701rr-builds.1207074/page-6#post-32950887 I used the one from Sparkbright as it fits the holes in the 701RR tower without any modification. I personally prefer the simple LED as it gives the info I need and nothing more.

Orange = Normal when not turned on, or voltage is 12v (i.e. a little low) when running
    Green = Normal voltage when running, all is OK
    Flashing Green/Red = Overcharge, like the regulator has gone
    Flashing Red (One, Two or Three as voltage progressively drops) = Battery shagged, or Stator not charging the battery.

Here is a little video of the different stages, flashing red when ignition on is normal as the bike is drawing more load at that point.

On the 12v/USB. I put mine just behind the GPS on the Nav Tower, it is protected from the rain here when riding, but also leaves it accessible to plug things in without taking the screen off.
    G0012385.JPG
    I wired this directly to the batter with a SPST waterproof switch to enable me to charge items with the bike stationary after a ride at the end of the day and not need the ignition on.
    DR DAN, wass and Kiwirich like this.
  5. kreativ

kreativ OFFROADer

Oddometer:
    what size of this Sparkbright? 3 available.
  6. David Coulthard

Oddometer:
    I used an eclipse10
    Kiwirich likes this.
  7. prs34

prs34 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi wass, how much did you pay for the navigation tower, I did not find it at Aurora retail. I'm looking for a light configuation.
  8. David Coulthard

Oddometer:
    A note on warranty from Husqvarna after fitting the 701RR kit as this was asked late last year but at the time there was no definitive answer other than Husqvarna should honour the warranty.

My 701 has always used a little oil from new, recently however the oil use has increased. Bike has about 17000km on the clock. The dealer was contacted and after a test to measure the oil use Husqvarna approved the dealer to pull down the engine to investigate. The dealer is fully aware of the 701RR kit being on the bike.

This is the important bit, it was requested that I remove my 701RR accessories to allow easy access to the engine before bringing it into the dealer. I.E tanks and fairing.

This means that the kit is recognised as an accessory item and not a modification to the bike, plus Husqvarna will honour their warranty with the kit on, at least in my case.

If others have warranty questions with the kit on in the future, it may be a good idea to reference this
  9. 640 Armageddon

640 Armageddon Xplorer

Oddometer:
    This week the lite kit will be online, it will not be just the tower, but with ABS molded side panels and dedicated brackets. We tried with the team to minimize the aesthetic differences between the HQV bike and our parts. I think it looks spot on, should be online on Friday :deal
    Lite 701RR.jpg

Note to the Xplorer or Rally Replica users: Panels are designed so that when you remove the tanks, you install the side panels, leave the skid plate and the exhaust and go riding. In about 10minutes you can convert the bike from Xplorer to Lite. :freaky

D.
    Nowwhat, DR DAN, Yellow Pig and 6 others like this.
  10. prs34

prs34 n00b

Oddometer:
    An idea of the price ? and weight?
  11. David Coulthard

Oddometer:
    Update on the oil issue and warranty with the 701RR kit

Oil found on pistons, new valve seals. One valve had a lip on it, new valve. Piston rings all within spec.

All done under warranty within the week, no issues or questions by HQV or the dealer whatsoever.
    Kiwirich and 640 Armageddon like this.
  12. whatsupdoc

whatsupdoc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Aurora kit is probably not a problem since they're using original parts but does anyone know if the omega kit is streetlegal in France?
    I read a built thread in german where someone declared the front tanks a fairing and did not connect them to the fuel system to make it street legal. For me that would be a deal breaker...?
    David Coulthard likes this.
  13. 640 Armageddon

640 Armageddon Xplorer

Oddometer:
    That is usually done with other manufacturers or 'racing use only' marking. When people go to get MOT, the yearly inspection, this can be done to get through it. They are like 'fairings' at the time of inspection, not used for fuel load. Dunno what will happen if they stop you for inspection though. Thomas (the Omega owner, is more than helpful) and kits have been around, I am sure you can get feedback on that. Depends heavily on the country. In Greece, put all the stuff you want, the bike can pass MOT (unless it carries a bomb :p ) . In Germany things from what I know from customers it is more strict. Same in Switzerland, which from my experience is the worst in that matter.
  14. whatsupdoc

whatsupdoc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know ...I work in switzerland...:fpalm
    Traffic drives me nuts. But france is pretty liberal. But if I have a bike...with french plates...which is streetlegal here...they can't really fine me for riding it there can they? Or am I wrong? @Armageddon: you manufacture the Aurora kit, don't you. Have you sold some in france? How is order - delivery time ? I ride a 1190 R '16 model. I'm up to something new...
  15. 640 Armageddon

640 Armageddon Xplorer

Oddometer:
    I have sold to Switzerland before and France yes. One of the owners of Kriega, the bike that was in EICMA exhibition last year, is located in France. Using the bike either as an Xplorer or a Super 7o1 conversion. - Delivery time. Waiting for 9 sets of tanks with all the paraphernalia at the moment to start clearing the queue. Should be here next week. Also supporting people for Hellas Rally makes things tricky at the moment.
    Things may be changing soon, but it is going to be in favor of minimum delivery time, hopefully next day shipping for most if not all parts is the target with the product range booming as well. Cross fingers I shall have news next week.

D.
    DirtBrain likes this.
  16. wass

wass Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My dream bike built:

upload_2018-6-22_18-6-27.png

upload_2018-6-22_18-7-14.png
    lindmark, Dukehunt, DR DAN and 4 others like this.
  17. justinope

justinope Long timer

Oddometer:
  18. lindmark

lindmark n00b

Oddometer:
    DR DAN, wass and josip01 like this.
  19. doom

doom bithead

Oddometer:
    After much thought I have decided to pull the trigger on an Xplorer kit. I’ll combine that with the Super 701 front panels as well for flexibility. I love love love the relative ease of switching between configurations as one of the things that I love about my 701 right now is the lack of bulk for more technical terrain. However, after doing many 200+ mile days in a variety of conditions and most recently 500+ miles, over half of which were higher speed paved sections I definitely want the option of a fairing for longer trips. In addition, having the easy option to carry more fuel for some of my remote adventures is fantastic.

Thank you so much @640 Armageddon for answering the quick questions that I had. I look forward to working with you.
    DR DAN and David Coulthard like this.
  20. cosmic

cosmic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a question regarding the Lite kit... Are some kind of graphics included in the kit to cover those lovely ABS panels? Thx.