Husqvarna FE501S & FE350S

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by trailrider383, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Dan950ser

Dan950ser Two Wheeled Addict

Oddometer:
    The springs that come in the bike are always the middle ones listed in the manual. For 165-187 lb rider. Hope this helps
  2. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    Yes it does. Thanks. I believe on Monday I'll call Racetech and have a chat with them. Looking at springs at least. Anyone have an opinion on their gold valve on the explorers? I know on my CRF 250L they made a huge impact, but that suspension totally sucked from the factory.
  3. AndyB21

AndyB21 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It’s been a long time since I last posted on the forum but now I’ve pressed the button on purchasing an MY20 501 I thought I’d put an appearance in again.

The plan is to turn it into something that I consider suitable for lightweight touring on the slightly dubious quality roads found in Eastern Europe as well as a bit of gentle off roading closer to home. This is going to involve a larger fuel tank that can be fitted when I’m away from home, a lightweight luggage rack that will take my 15l Wolfman panniers plus a rollbag for a tent/sleeping bag and I’ll probably blow a more substantial chunk of my hard earned cash on a travel tower from those nice gents at Nomad in the NL.

Why a 501? Because over the last few years I’ve been using bigger capacity bikes for my travels and the combination of excess weight and ridiculous traffic regulations in Europe that now allow them to chase me with fines once I’m home have made me re-evaluate my needs and it was either a 500EXC or the Husqvarna.

I’ll no doubt be pestering you guys about how far I can stretch the time between oil/filter changes on long trips, suspension changes and perhaps a couple of tweaks to the performance level as well :D
    Bitingdog, Nowwhat and Snake Oiler like this.
  4. Anatoli

Anatoli Pale rider

Oddometer:
    I think that you will really be happy with the 501. Many in the Adventure community are embracing the 500 twins as a rational alternative to bigger, heavier, and more costly bikes. If you never leave the tarmac the big bikes are ok, but the stellar dirt credentials of the 500’s open up vast exploration opportunities. The bottom line is that the solo adventurer needs to be able to extricate and recover the bike solo. The heavier the bike, the more difficult or impossible the task.

The excellent suspension and ground clearance are important too. My 501 has 48 mm fork tubes: my 125 lb heavier Africa Twin has 45 mm tubes with 3 inches less travel. Guess which flexes more when stressed? The rubber clutch dampers are another nice touch that extend driveline life. 60 mpg is possible with a judicious throttle hand. Combined with even a smallish 3.1 gallon tank and 180 mile range is in hand without an excessively large tank.

The 501 power plant is tuned to provide impressive torque right off idle. This means less wear, noise, and fuel consumption. Nobody complains about a lack of peak power when slightly modded. I can’t get 6th gear wheelies on the Africa Twin, but they are thrilling on the 501. Durability is excellent with proper care: many examples show 700 hours or more with no engine work. Of course the smaller oil capacity requires more frequent changing, but it is a simple and inexpensive matter. Bottom line: the 500 twins provide unmatched performance and enjoyment for the serious adventurer. Slab riders will want to stay with their mobile reclining chairs, but will miss much of the adventure.
    mo_rider, craigt, Bitingdog and 3 others like this.
  5. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    You silver tongue devil
    Bitingdog and Anatoli like this.
  6. Ned1

Ned1 Back to bicycles

Oddometer:
    :lol3
    Bitingdog likes this.
  7. OneManWolfPack

OneManWolfPack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2018 FE501 54 hours of primarily single and double track off road. (going on three sets of tires in that time ) Stock clutch slave was ok upon removal. Oberon has taken its place and stock will be spare I guess.

IMG_4030.jpg
    Ned1 and Snake Oiler like this.
  8. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    125lb heavier AT?

You either have the world's heaviest 501 or an AT without an engine haaaa
    Bitingdog and Snake Oiler like this.
  9. Anatoli

Anatoli Pale rider

Oddometer:
    Good catch. My 2017 Africa Twin standard shift model is 474 lbs dry, my 2016 FE 501S is 254 lbs dry. I was thinking ( mistakenly) of my 1997 KTM 620 Adv at 354 lbs dry. My apologies.
    Bitingdog and Dan950ser like this.
  10. MaineDrummer

MaineDrummer Adventurer

Oddometer:
  11. Pundy

Pundy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  12. Bitingdog

Bitingdog That's not my dog

Oddometer:
    There's nothing stronger than Trailjammer's case covers. He's a small operation, fellow rider and ADV member. Even the legendary Tiger Tanker can't break a Trailjammer cover
  13. OneManWolfPack

OneManWolfPack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What skid plate are you using. TMD makes one with the integrated linkage guard. The wings on the sides wrap around the leading edges of both the ignition and clutch covers. You would really have to work at it to damage them with this skid plate installed.

Capture4.PNG Capture4.PNG Capture7.PNG
    Snake Oiler and Ned1 like this.
  14. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Toast on his 501 going up up up 20191013_121204.jpg
    pjh66, Bitingdog, pvt joker and 5 others like this.
  15. Lurkerlou

Lurkerlou Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ve loved the TM Designs skid plates in the past on my other bikes then I saw the AXP skid plate .......the 501 got one and I can’t believe how much protection it offers. Easily twice as thick as the TMD. Same idea with side coverage and linkage protection.

Another option if you are in the market.
  16. Sixgun

Sixgun Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My2020, so far love it off-road but I’m not sure I could do many miles on road. Wow this thing vibrates on pavement. My dealer says it’s normal, took it back twice. I changed out my tires put in the tubeless system and balanced. Changed seat to a Seat Concepts and Fast anti-vibration pegs. I am waiting on the bars to do the BRP with Scott steering dampener but not ready for 2020 yet or flex bars.
    2555D42D-A847-4E76-9865-C6DE38C25ECB.jpeg

Attached Files:

17. Camarodude

Camarodude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ^ Has what you done so far made any difference?
  18. ovlaicu

ovlaicu Noob

Oddometer:
    Yeah it vibrates like a dildo. Sumo wheels with cush drive help a bit, but not too much.
    The gear ratios help more than anything to keep the rpm in that sweet spot.

How do you like the pegs? Do they work?
  19. Sixgun

Sixgun Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think the pegs made a big difference but the seat was huge!!!! I almost cried on my first ride. Lol
  20. ovlaicu

ovlaicu Noob

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I got the SC XL seat as well, and it's a world of a difference. Hands dont bother me that much, but feet....I can barely stand:)