Husqvarna FE501S & FE350S

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by trailrider383, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    The 501 found a new friend to play with. A Beta 300, sounds a little strange. Somewhere between a weed eater and an RC plane. Lol IMG_20191013_142156267_HDR.jpg
    wylie348, Anatoli, Ned1 and 4 others like this.
  2. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:
    Ok folks. Does anyone have a pair of .44 kg springs for the Explorer forks?
  3. MaineDrummer

MaineDrummer Adventurer

Oddometer:
  4. MaineDrummer

MaineDrummer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, strong for sure, but there seems to be a good bit of the stock cover left unprotected.
  5. MaineDrummer

MaineDrummer Adventurer

Oddometer:
  6. Anyone

Anyone Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Im sad to hear the 2020 suffers vibes. How does it compare to the last gen? My18 isnt terrible with different rims, but i was hoping the new gen would tune some more engine vibes out.
  7. Pisgahjunkie

Pisgahjunkie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I stand over 50% of the time. My wife is a runner and talked me into some New Balance pressure relief memory foam insoles. They make a huge difference. They are a little bulky, but I won’t ride without them.
  8. OneManWolfPack

OneManWolfPack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't find the vibration on my 2018 bad (stock pegs, Forma Predator 2.0 boots) although it isn't great. If the vibration really bothers you the 450 is much smoother with the shorter stroke.
    Anatoli and Sixgun like this.
  9. Anyone

Anyone Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Really the vibes on the 18 501 aren't an issue for me, its just a case of ‘the grass may be greener’. Im really very happy with my bike!
  10. Sixgun

Sixgun Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My20 is not bad with vibrations on dirt. Really don’t even notice it. Onlly pavement it crazy. At 65 mph I feel like the bike is going to explode. Lol
  11. new2adv

new2adv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are you sure your wheels are balanced?
  12. Anatoli

Anatoli Pale rider

Oddometer:
    It is a quick and simple matter to swap appropriate counter sprockets prior to your ride. Run a 15 tooth for high speed cruising, a 13 T for single track, and a 14 T for all round.

Tire choice matters too. I like the Pirelli MT 43 rear for the smoothest ride possible: lasts a long time despite the soft compound but canyon carvers will end up in the canyon due to the square profile. The MotoZ Mountain Hybrid is a very tough all round tire that also lasts a long time but is much better cornering, braking, and in the mud. The stiff sidewalls allow 8 psi with HD tubes, but it doesn’t work with TuBliss for some reason.

Up front the MotoZ Tractionator IT will go 2500-3000 miles and works well in all conditions.
    nzrian, Fast1, Sixgun and 1 other person like this.
  13. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:
    Have you tried to motoz IT on the rear? Just ordered one to try. I have a Kenda Parker DT on now which is a good thing, but didn't last over 1500 miles of dual sporting. Plus I'm about to put one of those new Tusk DS tires on the front. Sitting here it looks okay but guess I'll find out soon enough
  14. mo_rider

mo_rider the dude abides Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've got about 200 miles or about 20 hours on a rear motoz IT on mostly rock trails with some gravel. They've gripped everything I've thrown at them around 8psi tubliss. They seem to be holding up pretty well but obviously it still has low usage. Performance is good for me though.

IMG_20191014_181945.jpg
    Snake Oiler and Anatoli like this.
  15. Anatoli

Anatoli Pale rider

Oddometer:
    Not yet, but it is on my short list. The front lasted 2800 miles and performed very well. No flats either.
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  16. Anatoli

Anatoli Pale rider

Oddometer:
    2C7CF71B-84E4-471A-8E9D-7004F455A7C2.jpeg

10C9A4A3-01DA-4FFE-BF1C-2360FAAD8E5F.jpeg

The mountain behind the Swamphouse has been closed for 18 months due to a big timber harvest. Now finally open again, the roads are in perfect shape and the dirt begins 2 miles from my garage. The wonderful variety of riding opportunities all around include the Olympic Peninsula, the Cascades, the San Juan islands, and the World Class offerings just across the border in British Columbia. A 20 minute rip up the mountain gets you this. I have been meeting and riding with an unprecedented number of new folks this year and feel incredibly blessed: sharing my hard earned local knowledge of routes and techniques has been a real joy. We built the Rider’s Camp here at the Swamphouse and now they come: riders from everywhere and they all have great stories to share.

I ride a lot of different motorcycles and am fortunate to have generous friends to assist in this matter. Of all of these, my 2016 FE 501 is probably my favorite. Every trip up the mountain becomes larger than life. Even throttling it in 6th at 50 mph results in a firm shove and throaty bark. This is a boss ride.
    craigt, nzrian, Harder1 and 8 others like this.
  17. Ned1

Ned1 Back to bicycles

Oddometer:
    Haha @Anatoli from one N+1 bike perv to another.... we'll check in after your midweek trail ride to see where your 300 sits in the stack rank :rofl
    wylie348 and Anatoli like this.
  18. Anatoli

Anatoli Pale rider

Oddometer:
    You are one of the troublemakers I just referenced. It is true that the 300 has been ridden hard and put away wet (150 hours in 12 months) to the neglect of the 501 lately, but if I could only have one bike it would be the 501. It is the best all rounder in the stable. It seems almost civilized with the heated grips, solid hand guards, Comfort Seat, and romping stomping motor. PM me about a fall ride!
    ztrab likes this.
  19. Ned1

Ned1 Back to bicycles

Oddometer:
    One more nap on the steel table coming up in ~3 weeks, I'll see if I can get up to the Swamp House beforehand.

My 525 was my original DS/woods/trials quiver killer and the 501 even moreso as I push it harder.... it's been dubbed the Austrian giggle chair :nod
    Anatoli and Snake Oiler like this.
  20. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:
    Good news I taking from your post. I've been running the Motoz DT on my X Challenge for some time now and love it. But I feel that it on the 501 here in the south west desert might have a tread pattern a little tight, so figured I'd try the IT which looks to be more open for the rocky sand plus the hard pack caliche unless there is a good rain fall. Then nothing is good for that shit I've found other than a lay day. Lol.