1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Husqvarna FE501S & FE350S

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by trailrider383, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    Since it was mentioned. Tubliss? I have a set of these back in storage in PA which I bought then decided I didn't want to deal in the learning curve of using them. But I'm getting tired of this crap IMG_20191014_122739099_HDR.jpg IMG_20191014_122721125_HDR.jpg

So maybe it's time to start learning.

What's you folks thoughts on the tubliss system?
    Benduro likes this.
  2. Pundy

Pundy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Getting flats sucks balls. Depending on your usage, either go Tubliss or Nitro Mousse. I've used both a ton, and each are amazing.
    Snake Oiler and Benduro like this.
  3. ztrab

ztrab Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tubliss is super simple, tire mounting is actually easier once you get the hang of it. I carry an extra hi pressure tube, stop and go plugs and rope for carcass punctures. Just make sure your tires are 4 ply- the 2 ply Dunlop 81 has great traction but I shredded 5 before I went to the 4 ply Kenda DT, problem solved. Baja tested :-)
    Anatoli, Snake Oiler and Benduro like this.
  4. Benduro

Benduro These are my dress clothes Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's awesome and I love it.
    The learning curve isn't that steep, and once you've done it a time or two, it's easier than changing a tubed tire.

A little trick I've learned to get a couple more tire changes out of an inner bladder is after installing their rim tape as described in their good videos, I run another three full wraps of cushy vinyl electrical tape around the inside circumference/drop center of the rim.

Learned it from this guy.
  5. Benduro

Oddometer:
    Alright boys.

Point me in the right direction.
    I'm finally sick and fucking tired of my 4cs forks on my 2016 fe501.

Respringing helped, but they're just way too harsh on small high speed stuff (think ruts on fire roads at 50mph) too harsh on small stuff at low speed too like technical hill climbing. Even with compression wide open. Deflect, deflect, deflect. Mid stroke is super unpredictable. Sometimes too firm, sometimes blowing through travel.

I was suuuuper close to ordering the Dal Soggio "rey" kit, but went to Stillwell's site and he's charging $400 for a custom revalve and his 4cs "pro" valves, whatever they are.
    Base valves? Mid valves?
    In the end, I'd like adjustable rebound and compression in each fork leg.

https://stillwellperformance.com/full-post/wp-4cs

I'm sure you have opinions. Anyone here with experience with either Stillwell's 4cs tuning or the dal soggio drop in system?

https://slavensracing.com/shop/piston-upgrade-kit-wp-4cs-wp-xplor-forks-dal-soggio/

I'm also super tempted by the MX tech Lucky system but it's twice as much coin as the dal soggio.

https://slavensracing.com/shop/lucky-4cs-cartridge-system/
  6. Scottyluc

Scottyluc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know what oem hubs are used on the 2018 FE 501 Dirtstars?
    Long story short - I sold the bike without the wheels. I'm selling the wheels. I'm at work and someone is asking about the hubs. I'm not home to take a look. I'm not even sure if they are marked.
  7. OneManWolfPack

OneManWolfPack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My 2018 wheels. No manufacturer stamped on them. On the rotor side there is K4, 17 and a 41 stamped on them. That's it.
  8. Scottyluc

Scottyluc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Parts fiche shows a KTM logo and part number. Guessing stock KTM hubs, whoever makes those.
  9. Anyone

Anyone Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    @RichK have You had a chance to ride With You new suspension set up?
  10. RichK

RichK Long timer

Oddometer:
    Installed but not yet.
  11. 1 lunger

1 lunger Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don’t waste the time or money trying to make the 4cs work, they just won’t. Find a set of OC or CC on line and buy them.
  12. oldfuddy

oldfuddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    A good tuner can make 4CS work. Loved my ‘16 500 4CS. Miss them. Gold valve them, convert them to OC, spring them to your ability, tune them to your ability, add a compression adjuster to the bottom of the fork for finer tuning and gold valve and spring the shock to your weight and ability. I spent $1,200 total for forks and shock at a real tuner and I could jump it off a building, ride deep desert sand, baby head rocks, and climb, brake and corner. The issue I’ve seen and my tuner tells me is riders either over sell their ability or under sell it or try to set it up themselves. Don’t lie to the tuner. You need a bike set up for you, not Dungey. An A rider on a C set up bike will bitch just as a C or B rider will bitch about riding an A set up, spring, shimmed, and valved bike. Find a good tuner, be honest, convert them, buy the right stuff, dial it in and ride. If you are racing Pro, there’s better stuff out there. But I’m betting you’d be hard pressed as a non pro or non AA rider to outride a properly set up and converted 4CS.
    socalluke, Fast1, Emgo and 1 other person like this.
  13. Benduro

Oddometer:
    That's what I'm thinking. Half the time, I ride technical rocky trails at somewhere between walking and running speed, and the other half, I'm flat tracking FS roads at warp speed.

My issue with them applies to both scenarios. Crazy harsh, barely moving for the first 5-ish inches of travel.

If I can get that sorted, they'll be fine for me. I'm not a racer and I haven't been on an mx track since I was in high school.
  14. ztrab

ztrab Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ditto on OF’s assessment. I had the same suspension shop remove the CS on my ‘15 501 FE. I’m on the edge of the oem spring rate, prefer softer for the technical stuff. I left the shims and valves stock, the high speed is a little harsh but tolerable for the trail riding I do. Old Fuddy really pounds it in desert enduros- he’s flogged me, lol, so valving was a must for him. But I agree, with a little work those CS forks work fine for we mere mortal riders.
  15. oldfuddy

oldfuddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    The harshness is most likely valving. Stock valving sucks. Won’t use the entire stroke correctly. It’s like a light switch, it’s on or off, no in between
  16. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    Will the gold valve solve that harshness? Or am I thinking something wrong
  17. thejrod

thejrod Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMO, the main benefit of Tubliss is safely running really low pressures. Flat resistance is probably about the same (or slightly worse) than running tubes, but flat fixing should be easier/faster (no need to even remove the wheel). I've heard of a few inner bladder failures, which would be a huge PITA out on the trail if you didn't have a spare bladder.
    If you really hate flats, then go mousses. If you want optimum traction, run low pressures with Tubliss. UHD tubes also work just fine for a lot of people running reasonable pressures.
    Anatoli and Benduro like this.
  18. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:

This might be worth a try to see if it resolves the problem you notice before spending money on valving etc..

It doesn't cost anything and can be done rather quickly and simply replaced if the problem isn't resolved.

https://motocrossactionmag.com/ask-the-mxperts-8/

Benduro and oldfuddy like this.
  19. oldfuddy

oldfuddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I use valving loosely. It’s voodoo and imo best left to the experts as it’s more than just valve. It’s setting it up to the rider, the shim stack, the valve, oil, etc...
  20. ovlaicu

ovlaicu Noob

Oddometer:
    This!
    Oil viscosity and level make a HUGE difference. I never understood people jumping to pay more that 1000$ instead of playing with oil type and level for a bit.
    By the time you realize that the forks are not working like you want them, (play with different clicker settings) you are probably close to the service interval. Experiment!
    Fat Chance and Snake Oiler like this.