Husqvarna FE501S & FE350S

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by trailrider383, Sep 11, 2014.

1. JMH

JMH Adventurer

Oddometer:
    More importantly than the over all pedal travel - make sure the "free travel" is in spec...if not you can build up too much pressure in the line and the caliper won't release and you'll roast the rear pads and rotor. I definitely didn't do that when I lowered my pegs and brake pedal I swear! Yep....I did that.
    Bitingdog likes this.
  2. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    I think that may have caused a similar problem I had a few years back after taking my moto out of extended storage.
  3. tokig

tokig 20 Husqvarna FE501s Supporter

Oddometer:
    what is your free travel ?

Mine, i believe, is 21mm from rest to thumb applied light rear brake.

I too have fried a rear rotor and pads. It is a rite of peg lowering experience.

[​IMG]
  4. JMH

JMH Adventurer

Oddometer:
    tokig likes this.
  5. tokig

Oddometer:
    So based on my fried 701e rear brake, and checking this FE501 "as supplied", i have left it at 21mm.

Anyone running 4mm? 8mm? 12mm? 3mm?

Actually i went back and "felt" the travel in the rear pedal and you can feel a piston engagement distance of about 4mm............but, according to me, this has nothing to do with pedal stop adjustment!
    Maybe i need to go further and find out.
  6. JMH

JMH Adventurer

Oddometer:
    4mm would make sense...my free travel spec is 3-5mm.
  7. tokig

Oddometer:
    It just shows be how much attention I have paid to hydraulic rear brakes.
    This pedal adjustment definitely affects this free, engagement distance.
    Just dumb luck for me.
    I dont think my 701 has free engagement play. or it is 0mm.
  8. Hertz13

Hertz13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    you can get it out without removing the header. I used a ratchet strap around the front wheel to slightly bend it outward. Works fine and doesn’t damage it.
    ^^^oops, that’s wrong. The header does have to come off.

it won’t cause any issues. That’s they way it’s meant to be. The collar added to make it auto retract is a half ass work around just so they wouldn’t have to put a kickstand activated kill switch on the bike.
    PYG RYDR and tokig like this.
  9. guns_equal_freedom

guns_equal_freedom Long timer

Oddometer:
    On the '20 FE501S where did you mount your JD tuner?
    On my KTM's it went on the right inside of the mask, with the Husky the mask has a support thing where the KTM doesn't.
    I am thinking of mounting it inside of the airbox.
    Thanks!
  10. guns_equal_freedom

guns_equal_freedom Long timer

Oddometer:
    I destroyed mine.
    Drilled a hole in it and emptied the charcoal.
    Pulled it out until I couldn't, a little Dremel surgery, pull it out some more, a little Dremel surgery, pulled it out with the help of my stout thrasher straight slot screwdriver.
    I'm never going to use it again.
    Bitingdog and PYG RYDR like this.
  11. Lurkerlou

Lurkerlou Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did mine when I swapped out the header. I just backed off the motor mounts rolled the engine backward in the frame slightly , slid it out and slid in the Husqvarna coolant recovery tank in its place. Re torqued the engine mounts and was back in business.

I like the ability to recover the coolant if it ever boils over and the radiator can draw it back in. Probably the only reason I went to the trouble of removing it in the first place.
    PYG RYDR, Anyone and NoelJ like this.
  12. tokig

Oddometer:
    Just loosening the motor mount bolts allowed enough movement to slip out/slip in?
    Are there other suppliers of these coolant tanks besides IMS?

Is the black hose an alternative for clear hose?

IMS$99_109502-N2.jpg
  13. Lurkerlou

Lurkerlou Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think I pulled one of the longer motor mounts and loosened the others and it gave me enough room to perform this. I tried other ways but in the end this was the simplest to be able to remove and install the new one without risking breaking the new one going in.

I’ve seen the IMS and other overflow tanks but the one directly from Husqvarna is about 1/3 the price. It comes with the clear hoses and the 2 barbed fittings and a block off fitting that mount in the stock locations 90° into the tank itself.

The only thing I added was a bit of heat shielding to the lower hose so the header didn’t run the risk of melting it.
    tokig and PYG RYDR like this.
  14. ovlaicu

ovlaicu Noob

Oddometer:
    It is actually not included from the factory. They never included them in the package. As well as not having the online version on the website either. The KTM one will do for now. And yes the service manual is important. I had one for my 501 and will get one for the 350 as well.
    In other news: I had the bike out for about 100 miles now. I do miss the power of the 501 on the road, but in the dirt...the 350 is so much more manageable.
    Not riding, with the engine off, the bike feels lighter or at least more balanced. So, I guess their claim that the CG is lower is true:)
    Pegs and seat are transmitting the same amount of vibration.
    The handlebar though, on the 501 I never felt much vibration, the 350 puts my hands to sleep. I have to decide if I should use PHDS or flexx bars, or just try bar end weights first. I had the barkbusters on my 501.
    And the TKC80 suck so bad in the dirt :(
    And the seat...I think I'll try some gel pads first. Home DIY :) What's the worst that can happen? Ruin a shity seat?:)
    Anyone likes this.
  15. tokig

Oddometer:
    Thanks , i found the kit 79635965044 , it is $37

So the single centered hole is at the bottom and locks this black plastic tank in place.
    And the two nipple fittings go thru the frame at the top.

This bottom screw and the tank bottom as well is only 30mm above the exhaust manifold. Has anyone fitted insulation to this application?

Quite possibly i dont understand where the nipple fittings go. I just assumed the bottom was just a mount hole.

ResKitFE501s.jpg
  16. Hertz13

Hertz13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    my bad, I retract that statement. I don’t know what I was thinking. You do need to take off the header. It’s the engine I pulled it with a strap to get around.
  17. Anyone

Anyone Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    @ovlaicu im sorry to hear the 350 has similar vibes. Not what i expected to hear.
  18. Anyone

Anyone Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    A buddy and i took my 1290 sar and 501 out for some paved back road (ive got mt-90’s on the 501 for street duties). He rides a klr. Both bikes are just a hoot, but swapping bikes repeatedly really brings out the contrasts. Weight of the 1290 was very apparent, and the vibes on the 501 were really accentuated after riding the 1290. I choose to look at the ‘issues’ as part of the character inherent with the rest of the experience that comes with each bike. Its funny how i will on my dr650 and be all smiles after riding vastly superior performing bikes. They are all different colors of the rainbow for me.
    Bitingdog likes this.
  19. OneManWolfPack

OneManWolfPack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Key words there were paved back road. The 501 is in it's element on tight two track with some nasty sections of single thrown in. Anything less challenging and there are better options. That being said only one of the bikes listed can do it all. If the trail gets nasty the 1290 and the dr650 don't have a chance. The FE can do pavement albeit poorly.
    Dan950ser, Anyone, JMH and 1 other person like this.
  20. Anatoli

Anatoli Pale rider

Oddometer:

366725D2-B46E-439F-B33F-8CBFA1536897.jpeg

I have made a few mods to my 501 that really make a difference as to taming the beast on pavement. The Pirelli MT 43 rear tire really smooths out the ride because of the tall and flexible sidewall ( not in photo). I keep a spare wheel with the Pirelli mounted up so I can quickly swap on the appropriate tire for the day’s ride. A Cush Sprocket on the rear has elastomers separating the components and absorbing lots of shock. The Flexx bars similarly help soak up rocks and potholes, but are only effective while standing. My body is old and hammered, but I can ride 150 mile days on my 501 no problem with the above mods. I suspect that a GT Fatty front tire would help too, but I haven’t tried it yet.

Edit: How could I forget the Seat Concepts Comfort Seat? Definitely worth the money.

Second Edit: Balance the tires. Ktm/ Huskys come with the rim lock and valve stem close to each other to make pit stop tire changes faster ( so I’m told). Have the mounted tire/ wheel assembly balanced.