Husqvarna FE501S & FE350S

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by trailrider383, Sep 11, 2014.

1. OneManWolfPack

OneManWolfPack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good plan. Rain has delayed our ride until Tuesday.
  2. Sno Dawg

Sno Dawg Long timer

Oddometer:
    Four buddies from south Jersey and me did forty miles of single and double track today. The weather and woods were beautiful and the trails were tight and dry.

Four thumpers!
    • Honda CRF250
    • Honda CRF450L
    • KTM 450EXC
    • Husqvarna FE350
    Guess who got lost in the single track and came out on the trail the wrong way?
    Hint: Not me on the Husky!
    IMG_0538-X5.jpg

This bike is such a blast to ride in the tight woods and double track!
    IMG_0532-X5.jpg
    IMG_0540-X5.jpg
    tokig, wylie348, Anyone and 4 others like this.
  3. tokig

tokig 20 Husqvarna FE501s Supporter

Oddometer:
    Finally received my Radan lowered pegs 50mm/20mm , took 2 months due to postal service.

Now I am able to almost stand.

OEM set 477gms
    New set 800gms

20200531_50mmFootP3.jpg
  4. Sidehil

Sidehil On any Sunday

Oddometer:
    Well if you can’t ride you can still drink barley pops and BS about it:))) Waiting for all the stuff to street legal the new ride 1A37BC1D-88FE-47B0-857B-AB513A9A285D.jpeg 5F929AE0-5ACA-49E2-8F39-3DCAB61FA6DC.jpeg
    Eldon, tokig, Bitingdog and 2 others like this.
  5. rexbro

rexbro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks good. Is that a lowered brake pedal too?
  6. guns_equal_freedom

guns_equal_freedom Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a set for my old KLR650.
    I didn't like them due to the fact that my feet were always catching the top of the plate that is used to lower the pegs.
    They had more of an offset than those pegs you have though.
  7. wylie348

wylie348 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What tires are those? Are they DOT?
    Thx!
  8. tokig

Oddometer:
    Yes brake pedal as well. I will adjust further at rear master if needed.

I have been using Radan Bosley pegs (50mm) for three years on other HQV and they have worked well. However the larger sizes , like rally or whatever, cut up my pants and boots.
    So this set of 50mm are standard size.

20200531_BrkPdlToo.jpg
    Bitingdog and rexbro like this.
  9. tokig

Oddometer:
    Shift side , the shift lever was lowered one spline.

20200531_ShiftLow.jpg
    Xcelite, Bitingdog and rexbro like this.
  10. Sno Dawg

Sno Dawg Long timer

Oddometer:
    shhhhhh
    The rear is, and the front isn’t. When I have been stopped by Park Rangers, they always seem to look at the rear and then just assume it is a matching set.

Rear
    Mitas Sport Extreme 754 DOT - about $130
    Front
    Bridgestone Motocross M59 - about $80
    Both tires are really soft knobbies and not exactly fun when we are connecting trails and on the road.

I run a tubeless system at between 10 and 15 psi and was running it at 7 or 8 PSI, and it actually felt too squishy.

rear
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
  11. ztrab

ztrab Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lose the shorty vent tube, they look cool, seem to make sense but I have had the same thing happen on three dirt bike using those. I think mine were Motion Pro? Regardless, they must clog up easily or fail readily although I see a lot of bikes using them. The vent line to the frame is still the most reliable method to vent expansion in your poly tank sitting atop a very hot engine. I should say that I also had a few diaphragms in the cap fail with the same results, so you might check that first before you chuck your shorty. My Clarke caps seemed most prone to fail - a bulging tank is very unsettling.
  12. OneManWolfPack

Oddometer:
    I swapped back to the stock hose. My end on the ims tank is a little loose so i tried to twist a thin wire on there. I don't need any bulging since the 4.5G IMS tank was already rubbing on some areas as is...

Also you seriously have Rangers checking to see if tires are DOT? I thought you were land of the free? I have never had that checked up in Canuckistan. Then again they wouldn't know what a DOT tire was if it smacked them in the face.
    Bitingdog likes this.
  13. matloik

matloik kludge Supporter

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know where I can simply and easily tap into power and ground for a GPS? I opened up the rat's nest behind the headlight and shroud, but I was not able to see anything obvious. In the past I have always put in a dedicated line and relay for such, and grip heaters. But gps unit charging doesn't take very many amps ... and I'm lazy. Got any info, any wire colors to help me out? I'd prefer power when key is on. Cheers.
  14. Sno Dawg

Sno Dawg Long timer

Oddometer:
    [QUOTE="Also, you seriously have Rangers checking to see if tires are DOT? I thought you were land of the free? I have never had that checked up in Canuckistan. Then again they wouldn't know what a DOT tire was if it smacked them in the face.[/QUOTE]

It has happened twice to me in the New Jersey Pine Barrens. Once, I was leading a ride with about 8 riders in Wharton State Forest on 100% legal roads. I was on my XChallenge, and we came out of an area of cranberry bogs and around a tight corner. There were two Forest Ranger pickups and they stopped us all. I can honestly say they were very nice and extremely thorough. They checked each person's registration, checked that we had spark arrestors with a long rod, and checked our rear tires which I thought was weird. I was running a TKC80, which is obviously not a motocross tire, and they sent us on our way.

Another time I was riding solo on an HP2 that I had just rebuilt. A ranger in a white pickup flagged me down and when I stopped, he did the same thing. I had just put in spark arrestor made out of an old sink strainer in my Mad Max exhaust and my front tire was a motocross tire on a lightweight Woodies built wheel that I had been running for a while in deep sand. My rear tire was a stupidly expensive Rallye Raid and was DOT. He checked me out and then told me to ride safely.

now for pics, because I know you guys and girls who ride Huskys like pics...
    FullSizeRender 35.jpg FullSizeRender 31-X4.jpg

Pic of my rusty and crusty Mad Max exhaust that sounded great - with the sink strainer spark arrestor - this is a pic just after I repacked it and put on the new RR tire. The HP2 chunks most tires. I bought this HP2 cheap and rebuilt it from leftover parts from my other HP2. It was made of dirt and was a blast to ride until it got totaled.
    IMG_7393 2-X4.jpg

Sno Dawg
  15. Sidehil

Sidehil On any Sunday

Oddometer:
    43F09D14-5143-40A2-A772-233BB0FA44C3.jpeg 43F09D14-5143-40A2-A772-233BB0FA44C3.jpeg 43F09D14-5143-40A2-A772-233BB0FA44C3.jpeg 43F09D14-5143-40A2-A772-233BB0FA44C3.jpeg 43F09D14-5143-40A2-A772-233BB0FA44C3.jpeg
    It has happened twice to me in the New Jersey Pine Barrens. Once, I was leading a ride with about 8 riders in Wharton State Forest on 100% legal roads. I was on my XChallenge, and we came out of an area of cranberry bogs and around a tight corner. There were two Forest Ranger pickups and they stopped us all. I can honestly say they were very nice and extremely thorough. They checked each person's registration, checked that we had spark arrestors with a long rod, and checked our rear tires which I thought was weird. I was running a TKC80, which is obviously not a motocross tire, and they sent us on our way.

Another time I was riding solo on an HP2 that I had just rebuilt. A ranger in a white pickup flagged me down and when I stopped, he did the same thing. I had just put in spark arrestor made out of an old sink strainer in my Mad Max exhaust and my front tire was a motocross tire on a lightweight Woodies built wheel that I had been running for a while in deep sand. My rear tire was a stupidly expensive Rallye Raid and was DOT. He checked me out and then told me to ride safely.

now for pics, because I know you guys and girls who ride Huskys like pics...
    View attachment 2343684 View attachment 2343685

Pic of my rusty and crusty Mad Max exhaust that sounded great - with the sink strainer spark arrestor - this is a pic just after I repacked it and put on the new RR tire. The HP2 chunks most tires. I bought this HP2 cheap and rebuilt it from leftover parts from my other HP2. It was made of dirt and was a blast to ride until it got totaled.
    View attachment 2343686

Sno Dawg[/QUOTE]
    Your missing a part of your swing arm:)))))) More break in ride today in western WA.... 43F09D14-5143-40A2-A772-233BB0FA44C3.jpeg
  16. Sidehil

Sidehil On any Sunday

Oddometer:
    Opps I did not realize my taps on phone....
    Bitingdog likes this.
  17. OneManWolfPack

Oddometer:
    You need more drop on your drawbar there sir. Love the boxer.
    Sno Dawg likes this.
  18. Sno Dawg

Sno Dawg Long timer

Oddometer:
    haha - you can say that again. My drop hitch was up at the cabin with my small camper. I should have left it in the back of the truck - duh.
    My wife said the same exact thing when I got home with the HP2 on the Kendon.
    2018052910515281-IMG_0761-X4.jpg
  19. NoelJ

NoelJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    The ranger's concern for your safety was touching. Brings a tear to my eye.
    Bitingdog, Pete S and Sno Dawg like this.
  20. LANCIVPT

LANCIVPT Carbon Pilot

Oddometer:
    Replaced the 48 tooth rear sprocket with a 51 and kept the front 14 and added a new longer chain. Tested it in some simulated single track by accelerating down 75 -100 feet and then doing a tight 180 deg direction change all in second gear for about 20 minutes. Fan did not come on and the bike felt a lot better to ride overall with no need to ride the clutch. I now understand the the issue with the TKC 80’s better as the traction or lack there off is way more clear. When I drop the clutch in first the front does not lift like it used to only the rear tire is spinning a lot more. Bike’s engine is definitely running cooler with this setup. I’ll go back to my previous ST area and see how it compares. IMG_0099.jpg
    IMG_0100.jpg
    tokig, rexbro, PYG RYDR and 1 other person like this.