Husqvarna FE501S & FE350S

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by trailrider383, Sep 11, 2014.

1. backpain

backpain Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My goal is to never replace the in-tank unless it gives me trouble - but I dont fuel through a filter sock on fill ups, as maybe I should in order to take that approach. Probably worth a periodic inspection interval . . . .
  2. backpain

Oddometer:
    What’s consensus on lowest fuel level recommended to keep pump submerged and cool?

What to do for fuel pump and injector health during storage - dry vs fuel with stabilizer vs ? when not going to fire it up for at least a month or storing for an entire offseason.

Re: my recent fuel pump trouble, maybe I didnt keep enough gas in the tank this winter - I was worried about the fuel going bad.
  3. tokig

tokig 20 Husqvarna FE501s Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is the Quantum kit for carrying as a spare?

https://www.highflowfuel.com/i-3546...na-fe-501-2014-2020-replaces-78107088300.html

$90+ship

Looks complete

[​IMG]

I still have question on laying the bike over to assure max fuel at pump once you get low.
    WTF is this not discussed around these 3.17 and 4.0 gallon tanks?
    Does this happen with the stock tank and this laydown routine is covered in the owners manual?

I will get volume data next time I am at low fuel light.
    The visual amounts remaining at low light from a 3.17 Acerbis, left and right, look substantial.
    MaineDrummer and LANCIVPT like this.
  4. backpain

Oddometer:
    Only relevant when maxing out mileage on last drops (ounces) of fuel to get to next fuel stop. True of any double hump tank with one pickup - not when low, but when _really_ low
  5. JMH

JMH Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I ran out of fuel on a ride last week...the right side of the tank at low level is sort of a little reserve. I ran out - laid the bike over on its side to get fuel from the right side of the tank over to the left, got maybe 2 miles and ran out again... i laid the bike over AGAIN, this time even further, towards upside down, and got a little more fuel out of it. Got maybe another mile. Still came up short of the pump though! It's good in a emergency but i wouldn't rely on it!
    Anatoli, Fast1 and tokig like this.
  6. tokig

Oddometer:
    Thank you, so to what exact gas tank/HQV bike are you referring this experience?
  7. JMH

JMH Adventurer

Oddometer:
    2017 FE350 stock tank.
    tokig likes this.
  8. OneManWolfPack

OneManWolfPack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That is the one I ordered. Look to have all the pieces one would ever need. This will go in the garage or toolbox when on a multiday trip somewhere. I will probably carry the pump when on long isolated trips. I also ordered another in tank filter as a replacement of the original.
  9. tokig

Oddometer:
    so I need for 2020 FE501s for a 2 dayride.

1. a spare fuel pump and filters, hose, clamps
    2. a spare clutch slave w/bleeder hypodermic
    3. spare HB levers clutch/brake
    4, spare brake pedal
    5. spare foot shift lever

maybe just circle around the dealer shop for 2 days
    Bitingdog likes this.
  10. OneManWolfPack

Oddometer:
    A 2 day overnight trip? If more than a couple hours from the truck on a multi day I would:

1) Carry a spare fuel pump
    2) Replace the OEM Magura slave with an Oberon before I left
    3) Nope. If you have decent bark busters unnecessary
    4) Safety wire the one on the bike
    5) Safety wire the one on the bike.

So just the fuel pump. Also a few fuses, front tube, air pump, patch kit, aluminum tire irons, spare master link with clips, wire, zip ties, tool kit, spare fuel line, clamps, in line filter. Also if solo a small lithium booster pack may save day. A spot locator is not a bad idea either. How far from civilization are you? I also carry a silky saw, first aid kit, emergency blanket, fire starter and of course bear spray. This all fits easily in a Klim Nac Pac.

I have been stranded overnight and a fire source and emergency blanket is very welcome.
    Bitingdog, tokig and LANCIVPT like this.
  11. guns_equal_freedom

guns_equal_freedom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have the part number for the 2020 Husqvarna FE501S maintenance manual.
    I searched around and found the following number - 3403083 on AOMC, I asked them and they said yes, that was the correct part number.
    I ordered it and when it arrived I found that it is NOT the correct part number.
    It's for 2014 - 2019 250, 350, 450 and 501 bikes.
    Their fucking website has a section for the year, make and model of the bike, I put my bike in there.
    Fucktards.
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  12. tokig

Oddometer:
    So today, running an Acerbis 3.17 gallon (12L) gas tank from full to 142 miles.
    i got a gas warn light at about 125 miles.
    I pulled into gas pump and took photos of left and right side remaining gas before adding 2.765 gallons.

20200705_LeftSide142miles.jpg 20200705_RightSide142miles.jpg

Not sure what this information is to provide, simply to document my experience with a 12L tank.
    2020 FE501s was on side stand, fairly upright tho.

My looking at the remaining gas, i would guess I could make an easy 20 miles.
    so i guess my point is, either my OEM HQV mileage counter is off or the tank may hold more than 12L.

No one else is running a Acerbis 3.17 on a 2020 FE501?
    Similar experience?
    When you run out of gas, how much liquid remains visible in the left saddle?
    3"?, 1"?, 1/2"?, none?
    LANCIVPT and Snake Oiler like this.
  13. Bitingdog

Bitingdog That's not my dog

Oddometer:
    Pretty sure that slave cylinder issue was sorted by 2020. If not, simply change to a Brembo or Oberon and never ever think about it again.

Don't overthink it, these bikes are pretty solid
  14. backpain

Oddometer:
    Agreed. Slave and then done.
    Bitingdog likes this.
  15. Bitingdog

Bitingdog That's not my dog

Oddometer:
    Damndest thing is that Magura makes some top drawer components. The brakes on late model Husky's are by Magura, and they are brilliant.

Not sure what went wrong with their clutch slaves:(
  16. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    I could be wrong again, but I believe the main reason for them failing were the seals. Those would be a outsource idem and by the time the problem is apparent, there were hundreds of them out in the world. Even if it was the groove that held the seal that needed changed the seal itself could have been the problem with being the weak link.
    Fast1 and Bitingdog like this.
  17. texag10

texag10 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After increasingly poor behavior from drivers here in CO, I decided to stop riding street and picked up a 2020 FE 350 as my first dirt bike last weekend. I might have gone for one of the 250/300 TPI 2 strokes if they'd been available, but none of the trail models were to be had.

Turns out dirt biking is FUN! As soon as I learned to treat it more like a hybrid of my mountain bike and a motorcycle I was away and having a blast. On order are HD tubes, an AXP skidplate, EE wraparound handguards, and some tire changing stuff. I might do a JD jetting module or ECU + reed removal later, but for now the bike is plenty fast and fun, I just need to make sure it's protected when I dump it. Only happened once so far, turns out trail braking up to the apex might work great at a trackday, but not so well in deep pea gravel.

As my first question I'd like to ask how to get dirt out of the white plastics, because that has never been covered here. Kidding, I need to get some magic erasers off amazon.

Oh, interesting note: I was set to rent one of these before I bought, but ended up just buying. When I called to cancel my rental, the man I spoke to told me not to get an FE 350, saying they're dogs, no one wants them, too slow. I could see thinking that if you were doing a lot more dual sporting or very open,fast terrain, but it has always been traction that is the limiting factor in my acceleration, not engine power. I say that coming off a 2018 Tuono. I thought it was odd given he didn't really have any stake in the decision I made.
    Bitingdog and JMH like this.
  18. JMH

JMH Adventurer

Oddometer:

I don't agree with "dog" statement. I have a 17 FE350(intended for mostly trail riding) and 99 percent of the time i ride along side my buddy on a 17 FE501. Even on fire roads or dirt roads i have no problem keeping up with him. I've hit 92mph on the 350 and it still had a little to give. I would recommend you desmog and install a JD/Vortex tuner, it will definitely wake the bike up a bit.
    Bitingdog likes this.
  19. BobcatActual

BobcatActual Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think there’s some intense single track up out of Colorado Springs.
    texag10 likes this.
  20. OneManWolfPack

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you got the bug. Good. Don't fret about the white plastics, it is a dirt bike and that is what they do. My 2018 looks 10 years old. That's ok. Buy a set of plastic to put on right before you sell it.
    LANCIVPT, texag10 and Snake Oiler like this.