Husqvarna FE501S & FE350S

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by trailrider383, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Creekside

Creekside Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Two questions:
    Are the husky kickstand parts same as the exec-F model? [I mashed that collar and its collapsing, cheapcycleparts only carries ktm]

Can I get a handlebar support part like this to replace the stand handlebar supports or something like it? [having them tied together keeps them from rotating with 2" risers]

PHO_NMON_79001939031-HANDLEBAR-SUPPORT_#SALL_#AWSG_#V1.jpg
    Bitingdog likes this.
  2. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    Sidestand. You can check RMATV oem parts for both to see. That's what I do a lot when used parts are available.
    Bitingdog likes this.
  3. matloik

matloik kludge

Oddometer:
    I'm gonna just throw out this thought, observation: I bought the 501 as we pretty much switched to exclusively trailering to riding events and camp outs, preferring to sleep in our camper van. Among other bikes that I've owned and ridden and camped off of, prior to the 501 I had a 990. Fantastic bike, that I could do most of what I now use the 501 for; but switched because of the weight of the 990, and I didn't need the touring capability of that bike. However ... if I had to do it over again, I think I'd go with the 350, as it'd serve my needs just fine. The 501 is a great bike ... except for the vibes. I'd trade less vibration for less power. Just an opinion, for anyone considering ...
    dhilt and Bitingdog like this.
  4. OneManWolfPack

OneManWolfPack Long timer

Oddometer:
    The vibes go away at WFO. Just sayin.
    AMCJEEP and Bitingdog like this.
  5. Anatoli

Anatoli Pale rider

Oddometer:
    Flexx Bars helped me with the vibration issue. The downside is that they are expensive and add weight to the top of the machine. The Flexx Bars work best when standing due to the geometry of the pivot point. Note the long pivot bolts near center. The newest 501’s vibrate less for sure.

75A4FCF1-A987-4B2B-921E-1DF17B56547D.jpeg

Highway Dirt Bikes make this bridged top clamp that eliminates twisting when used in conjunction with Husky Hard Parts risers. The HDB top clamp also gives you lots of dashboard options such as raising the instrument so you can actually see it while riding. Touratech also makes bridged bar supports but I don’t know if they have a part number for the smaller Huskies.

17F48B1F-A3E0-4046-89B6-A06DAE32EB1A.jpeg

The Husky factory accessory risers are about $50, come in 10, 20, and 30 mm heights, and feature a really smart stepped mounting interface both top and bottom that prevents twisting. In addition, they are the only risers I know that are fixed by two lower mounting bolts. I have never twisted or broken any. I highly suggest that you use anti seize compound instead of Locktite on the mounting bolts. Dissimilar metals react poorly over time, especially when combined with moisture.

AED18FB1-C0CE-4B39-A78A-6E7120AD8110.jpeg

Snake Oiler and Bitingdog like this.
  6. Creekside

Creekside Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks I will go check those out.
    Bitingdog likes this.
  7. Bitingdog

Bitingdog That's not my dog

Oddometer:
    A lower budget alternative is the BRP damped handlebar mount. Chris Birch uses them on many of his bikes, if you look up close 20200924_105604.jpg
    Anatoli and JP4 like this.
  8. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:
    The vibs in the bars don't bother me too much. Now the vibe in the foot pegs are a different story. My feet bother me after an hour of riding. I've seen some pegs that claim to help but I can't remember or find them now. I believe they have some kind of rubber between the peg and cleats. Any help with finding and anyone have tried them to see if they are true to advertised
    matloik likes this.
  9. keepshoveling

keepshoveling DNF

Oddometer:
    I think both XC spurs and fasst impact do that.
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  10. OneManWolfPack

Oddometer:
    For me it's a numb taint if I ride more than 30 mins on the tarmac. Off road dirt no problem. Even with the seat concepts.. I mostly stand.
    matloik likes this.
  11. benzo

benzo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As embarrasing as it is to ask a 'which bike should I buy' question, since there is no way of test riding a lowered ktm/husky i'm going to have to ask for opinions:

Trying to choose between the huskies for my wife for a month long ride in Aus next year and then accross south america/patagonia when international travel opens up. The huskies are at the top of the list at present. We're doing multiday rides and shes tossed the 310gs aside and currently prefers a freeride 350 loaded up with 40l of saddlebags... The conundrum is, would it be worse to be stuck for a couple of days of flat dirt road (300km/day tops) on the husky 350 or stuck on some more challenging stuff on the 501? Would the 350 vibrate much less than the 500? Consider this from a 60kg(130lb) female riders perspective who likes power but gets spooked on gnarly stuff.
  12. OneManWolfPack

Oddometer:

Are you planning to uncork the 350 or 500? Smooth power delivery or not I can't see a 130lb woman riding an uncorked 500 on gnarly stuff. Lowered 350 FTW.
    socalluke, Bitingdog and benzo like this.
  13. benzo

benzo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Going to keep it bone stock. I'm leaning towards the 350 which i assume will be ample for 100km/hr 64mph cruising
    Bitingdog likes this.
  14. Bitingdog

Oddometer:
    A larger platform really helps with that. Less concentrated vibes in one spot. More of a dualsport thing, but the bike needs to work for you, otherwise it's just sculpture
  15. new2adv

new2adv Fringe minority with unacceptable views

Oddometer:
    You do realize that these bikes need premium fuel and oil changes every 15 hours right? Not ideal for travel in remote parts of the world.

Don't get me wrong, I own the FE350s and I love it. Just want to make sure you get the right tool for the job.
    benzo and Snake Oiler like this.
  16. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:

I figured it wasn't one size fits all type thing. The stock pegs aren't really bad as far as size. A tad longer I guess would help some what. I probably do something like a 50/50 stand sit riding. Part of that tho is to do with my feet and legs. Wider wouldn't be my move if I didn't have to. My boots have an great steel in the soles it seems. And being a skin fuck my feet aren't wide. Just thinking about something to take the vibe out since it was brought up
    Bitingdog likes this.
  17. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:
    @benzo I don't think you could pick a bad bike from those two. I'm sure the 350 will handle anything you want her to attempt.
    benzo and Bitingdog like this.
  18. Bitingdog

Oddometer:
    It's fine, and despite the insignificant weight differences, the 350 feels far lighter and more maneuverable in tight singletrack. Definitely easier to modulate the power at slow pace also.

I would urge you to uncork it though, not because of power, but for linear throttle response, driveability, and flameout resistance.

I'm 220 pounds, and I'd take an uncorked 350 over a constipated 500 every time.

One other word of caution: if you require dealership service or parts, a South American KTM dealership will not help you, and Husqvarna franchises are few and far between.

You might want to consider the KTM version instead
    benzo and Snake Oiler like this.
  19. Bitingdog

Oddometer:
    Longer, wider, harder, softer, stop biting me, I get so confused... Screenshot_20200924-133641~2.png
  20. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:
    But what kind of dampening do those offer