Husqvarna FE501S & FE350S

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by trailrider383, Sep 11, 2014.

1. OneManWolfPack

OneManWolfPack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's all good. I have found that most systems fail if your travels involve routes where the suspension is being worked 100% (bottoming and such. Like in heavy whoops etc.) I think in these situations racks like Dan's would come into their own.

I can't imagine having having panniers etc in the scenario below. This is me at 210lbs (2 spring rates stiffer on the front and rear, preload adjusters upped and compression increased) landing a small whoop at speed. When the suspension hits the stops the impact is nasty lol. Forks have been revalved since..

Capture.PNG
    Folgore, Bitingdog and Snake Oiler like this.
  2. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    Back in the 70s when that happened too many times on my Elsinore while racing motocross, the result would be the foot peg mounts breaking off the frame. Then you can imagine where your foot goes and how that might impact your walking ability the next day.. :lol3

I'd assume most guys riding dual sport with camping luggage know that running race pace on multi-use roads/trails will catch up with you sooner or later.. sometimes in very serious collisions with oncoming traffic and completely removed from immediate ER assistance.

IMO if you attached even an 10 lb object to a tail rack and ripped through the whoops at race pace for a while at 50-60 mph you would have damage to one of the components regardless of type of luggage/mounting framework or straps used. You know how easy it is to simply destroy the stock OEM rear tail light assembly...
  3. OneManWolfPack

Oddometer:
    True; my stock assembly lasted for a half a ride.
  4. Folgore

Folgore Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oregon City OR, but would rather be in Baja!
    What tail rack do you have mounted under the roll-sack?
  5. AndyB21

AndyB21 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    it’s a Nomad rack.
    Folgore likes this.
  6. Velociraptor

Velociraptor TrackBum Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I went from a Garmin Zumo XT to the Trailtech Voyager Pro then back to the Zumo XT. The Voyager Pro worked great and I had the engine RPM and temp sensor in the radiator installed. All worked fine. I ride solo or with small groups so despite having the buddy tracker installed I never used it. I was disappointed in the map screen and had a hard time seeing forest service road numbers on the map. The map screen on the Zumo is way better and much easier to read. In the end I realized I really did not need to know RPM or engine temp so off came the Voyager Pro and back on went the Zumo. I am going to keep the Voyager Pro just in case I change my mind again.
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  7. endurists

endurists Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    FE501 vs Ford Ka

20201014_162917.jpg 20201014_162928.jpg
  8. rexbro

rexbro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  9. OneManWolfPack

Oddometer:
    About 100 hours. This appears on my oil drain magnet. Other than that have had very little. It looks to be about 6mm long and perhaps o.25mm thick. Straight so I am thinking off a gear?

IMG_4445.JPG
  10. Rot Box

Rot Box Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    D82253A5-280B-46F8-856E-C5A70A47FCB6.jpeg A good time at St. Anthony Idaho!
    Xcelite, Eldon, Sidehil and 7 others like this.
  11. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    8 paddle rear? psi? How did that work for you?
    Bitingdog likes this.
  12. OneManWolfPack

Oddometer:
    It must be a little rough on the pavement ? :D
    Sidehil, Bitingdog and Rot Box like this.
  13. Rot Box

Rot Box Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    8 cup Kings Turbo paddle @ 12 psi. I prefer the Scat Track paddles because they’re lighter but this one worked well enough and it was free.
    Bitingdog and Fast1 like this.
  14. ItsDoAble

ItsDoAble Bird bait Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Rexbro, is that one of those Wolfman little bags behind the 4 gallon Acerbis tank? I've been thinking maybe 1 of them mounted on each side of the tank 'bulb' (over the logo)? Would mounting 2 work that way?
  15. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    agree, a buffed rear tire carcass with Skat Track hooker paddles at low pressure with Tubliss rips... weight is everything in the dunes especially the hill climb drags at St. Anthony..

Haven't been in the dunes for a long time.. miss it. Bet it was a blast!

Bitingdog and Rot Box like this.
  16. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    A little putt in the SW NM mountains today with a buddy IMG_20201016_141148839_HDR.jpg IMG_20201016_123043826_HDR.jpg IMG_20201016_122740890_HDR.jpg IMG_20201016_122520150.jpg IMG_20201016_112030954_HDR.jpg
    PYG RYDR, Yeti2ride, LANCIVPT and 8 others like this.
  17. rexbro

rexbro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes It is a Tincup pocket and It would probably work used like that. That’s a pretty good idea too. I could use a little bit more room to stash stuff. Maybe I’ll get 2 more and try it out.
  18. Sidehil

Sidehil On any Sunday

Oddometer:
    They are pretty weird on pavement till you get used to it:))) feels like your shit is disintegrating
    Bitingdog and Snake Oiler like this.
  19. MCoupe99

MCoupe99 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got my bike (2020 FE 501S with about 550 miles) back from a local performance shop (2 Wheel Dynoworks) today. Had them first do a baseline run with the stock intake, exhaust, and fueling; baseline wheel horsepower (WHP) was 37.07 with the power & torque curves being pretty rough. They then installed the Pro Moto Billet / Fastaway exhaust end cap, partially drilled out the noise baffle in the exhaust can, and adjusted the fueling with a Power Commander V (PCV); WHP increased to 45.14 with much smoother power & torque curves. They then removed the reed block in the intake and re-adjusted the fueling with the PCV; WHP increased to 55.25. All dyno runs with the stock TKC 80 rear tire. Initial riding impressions including smoother take-offs from a stop, more consistent low speed throttle control & feel, and much improved mid and upper range power. Exhaust sound is louder, but not as loud as an aftermarket exhaust can.
    Dyno Graph - 2020 Husqvarna FE 501S.jpg
  20. Sidehil

Sidehil On any Sunday

Oddometer:
    Time to get some dirt on it:) shit can those tires immediately:)))
    Bitingdog likes this.