Husqvarna FE501S & FE350S

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by trailrider383, Sep 11, 2014.

1. keepshoveling

keepshoveling DNF

Oddometer:
    this is from reading, not owning but smaller rider triangle on the 20+ bikes too.
    Bitingdog likes this.
  2. Bearded Hooligan

Bearded Hooligan Moto Addict

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I was worried about it. Luckily it did not cause any damage to the hub at all.
    Bitingdog likes this.
  3. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    Depending on how/where you ride the 500/501, this topic will create controversy (5th gear changes from MY12-16 vs MY17-21)

upload_2020-10-20_11-8-0.png
  4. OneManWolfPack

OneManWolfPack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do we want to go down this path lol? For my use I like the tight pack 1-5 and overdrive 6. Currently running 13:48 and 6th allows me to cruise somewhat comfortable at 60-65mph for short periods linking trail. Rarely use 6th on the two track.
  5. Anatoli

Anatoli Pale rider

Oddometer:
    There are actually 3 generations of bikes: 12-16, 17-19, and 20-21. They get lighter and smaller the newer they are. Not only does the rider triangle shrink, but the perception ( feel) of the bike changes noticeably. The CG drops as mass centralization is implemented. The suspension improves year to year. The motor gets smoother, but puts out less power stock due to increasingly tight emission regs. It is not difficult to recover the lost power.

Two important factors when trying to decide is how tall you are and how you intend to use the bike. I am 6’1”
    and prefer the bigger, heavier 2016 bike because it fits me better for long days ( or multiple days) and I use this bike as a lightweight Adventure bike. I have a 300 for hard singletrack. The newest gen 20-21 bikes feel like the older 350’s on singletrack to me: light, low, easy to handle in the gnarly stuff, but with that famous locomotive power right off idle. A skilled rider can blast through most anything. Another thing to consider: these bikes are very durable and really hold up in resale value. This fact can help justify the high cost of buying new as you will recover much of your purchase price even 5-6 years down the trail.
    Bitingdog, NoelJ, MCoupe99 and 2 others like this.
  6. Dirt2007

Dirt2007 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    So, I have a 15 501. Clutch lever pulled all the way to the bar, clutch is still a little bit engaged. Doesn't matter if lever adjuster is maxed out in either direction. Am I looking at a master cylinder? Slave? Plates? Pushrod? Where should I look first?
  7. meatsack

meatsack Moto-idiot

Oddometer:
    Likely slave cylinder. Common failure point. Get a Rekluse and call it a day.
    (surprised you have even a little clutch though...)
    Dirt2007 likes this.
  8. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    Another factor that has not been mentioned, is that the seat height has dropped (20mm) on the MY20/21.
  9. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:

How did the problem start?

slowly, gradually or like flipping a light switch...

Ever replace the clutch fluid?

Hours and type of riding you do?
    socalluke likes this.
  10. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    [QUOTE="OneManWolfPack, post: 41076073, member: 415759" For my use I like the tight pack 1-5 and overdrive 6. [/QUOTE]

Just for clarity, gears 1, 2, 3, 4 and 6 are exactly identical on all three generations of 501/500 motos.

There are many perceptions of the differences and then there are mathematical facts...

The only differences that exist in the gearbox (ratio wise) are the 5th gear cogs between the 1st gen and 2nd/3rd gens.

MY 12-16 has a 24/23 5th gear cog set (1.04 ratio)
    MY 17-21 has a 23/24 5th gear cog set (.958 ratio)

MY12-16 gear box ratios:
    Geearing.jpg

MY17-21 gear box ratios
    upload_2020-10-21_11-6-52.png

The MY17-21 5th cog-set significantly lowers 5th gear in relation to 4th and amplifies the significant jump to 6th vs 1st gen 500/501s. If you have not spent time on both you may not notice how much they really differ.

Primary drive ratios are identical on all generations at 2.375. (32/76)

Only you and your riding style can determine what is right for you or what you can put up with.

What no one knows is if the responsible party that changed the gear set cogs for 5th was fired or demoted to
    to crating new bikes for transit after this... anyone know? LOL

For those of you that have been down this path or high speed sand highway.. just ignore this post since you know what works for you.
  11. Dirt2007

Oddometer:
  12. OneManWolfPack

Oddometer:
    Magura slaves on the 2015?

Were they still running mineral oil (Magura blood) or had they switched to brake fluid?

I thought the 2017 was the start of the slave failures due to the switch to brake fluid. The advantage to mineral oil is that if the clutch slave fails then it is better to have mineral oil than brake fluid in your engine oil.
  13. Dirt2007

Oddometer:
    It's a Brembo that calls for Dot4.
    Bitingdog likes this.
  14. OneManWolfPack

Oddometer:
    Interesting. KTM has gone back and forth on clutch slaves. IIRC my first two (520 and the 525 were Maguras and then the 530 might have been a Brembo..). First two were mineral oil for sure. Anyhow sounds like a failing slave. Could get a rebuild kit if money tight or just spring for a new one. Check your fluid level if it is down it means you now have brake fluid in your engine oil. Not a ton but you will want to change that out soon.
  15. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    upload_2020-10-20_17-55-38.png
    @Dirt2007

Why have you had to frequently replace the fluid? is it low in the reservoir ever time or are you just replacing for new fluid?

Have you checked the fluid level in the current state of operation by removing the fluid cover on the bars?

Do you notice any leaks around the handlebar reservoir or near the slave cylinder and/or bleeding screw?

edit.. see you have already responded and identified the proper fluid.

Just a FYI for you-- assume MY15 is identical to the MY14 posted below regarding fluid type

RMATV has discounted OEM parts
    https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/oem-schematic/4

upload_2020-10-20_17-58-35.png
  16. Dirt2007

Oddometer:
    I changed fluid before CO as routine maintenance. I replaced last night just to rule out bad fluid as a cause. No leaks around master or bleeder. I just ordered a Rekluse slave. See what happens.
  17. NoelJ

NoelJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the feedback on differences. It really sounds like the older bikes may be the superior long distance light adventurer, but the new bikes are a bit more agile. I never seem to regret paying for horsepower or light weight, despite the fact I may be more "adventure" than pure enduro most of the time. I thought I spotted a rare deal on a nice 2015, but I'm not so sure I did, and would rather have the right bike than the cheapest bike.
  18. OneManWolfPack

Oddometer:
    The drop in seat height is worrying. At a leggy 6'2" I found the seat to peg distance was already cramped on my 2018. Rectified with Fastways in the lowboy position. Also had to add 30mm to the bars. I mean this ok but soon I will have 35mm risers and extra tall seat and extra low pegs to spread the triangle out..
    Bitingdog likes this.
  19. Anatoli

Anatoli Pale rider

Oddometer:
    I’m with you on the shrinking rider triangle. When I ride a 20 or 21 Husqvarna, it feels too low and my creaky old knees have more trouble making the frequent transitions from sitting to standing. For younger, stronger, and shorter riders this smaller triangle may be a benefit. My best advice is to wrangler a test ride on one from each generation. One size doesn’t fit all.
    Bitingdog likes this.
  20. 1wicked55

1wicked55 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a 21 husky 300
    I moved the bars forward and up 1 inch
    I also lowered the pegs 18 mm and back 10 mm. And this makes it better but it is still small.
    Bitingdog likes this.