Husqvarna FE501S & FE350S

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by trailrider383, Sep 11, 2014.

1. MCoupe99

MCoupe99 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm 5'7" and was pleasantly surprised with how well I fit on the 2020 model with the sag set correctly. I can touch my toes on both sides while stationary, helps too that the bike is so light weight (for a 510 cc bike). I can see how the ergos could feel a little cramped for the 6' plus crowd.
  2. OneManWolfPack

OneManWolfPack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Husky is going to try to appeal to the biggest cross section of riders that it can and for the most part it is easier to expand the triangle than shrink it after the fact. My biggest complaint with high pegs is that my knees have nowhere to grip the bike if standing.
    Bitingdog likes this.
  3. Velociraptor

Velociraptor TrackBum Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am 6'2" and went with MotoBau lowered pegs, bar risers, and a Seat Concepts tall seat. Now it fits. I did one ride with the stock setup and came back pretty sore from the awkward standing position.
  4. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    Isn't the new 20/21 frame a direct descendant of the Husky/KTM motocross frames. Seems most pro moto-x riders are all under 6' tall and lighter weight. Seems to have simplified frame production for the manufacture while rewarding some of the riding/performance benefits at a cost to fitment for taller/larger riders.

I'm not able to dual flat foot my MY14 but was surprised when looking at a new MY20 I was able to dual flat foot, which is a huge benefit in rough single track terrain.
    Bitingdog and Camarodude like this.
  5. Xcelite

Xcelite Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As with any racing, the smaller/lighter racers have an advantage. Case in point, the average motocross racer is 5'10'' and 157 pounds.
    https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/motocross-riders-vs-motogp-riders-at-peak-performance/

Me being 6'4'' and 250lbs, I'm forever stuck modifying things to fit me, and nothing is good enough out of the box.
  6. oldfuddy

oldfuddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    seckinjo, Bitingdog, PYG RYDR and 6 others like this.
  7. Xcelite

Xcelite Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I added 4" of yoga mat and had a custom cover made for my old KTM 950 Adv S. It was heaven for the height but yoga mats don't make great seat foam.
    My 501 came with a seat concepts tall seat that was meant for a 500. It works fine but i'm still craving another 1-2" of seat plus some dropped pegs. The handlebars are up and forward 2" already.
  8. oldfuddy

oldfuddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Everyone has their cockpit fit. Sounds like you know what you are looking for. I’m only 6’ 2” so stock everything works great. Stock bars no risers. Rik took two 500 seat foams and had a cover made.
  9. dogsslober

dogsslober No neck tie, Ti neck

Oddometer:
    Jeez looks like a truck spring on his shock ,lol
  10. Velociraptor

Velociraptor TrackBum Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Surprised it fits you stock. Maybe my 6'2" is more legs.
  11. OneManWolfPack

Oddometer:
    Yeah at 6'2" I had to make numerous mods.

Made a gear mod too. After tearing my ACL I am now the proud new owner of some POD K8 braces. Damn pricey but they appear like they will help and not get in the way too much. Aging sucks.
  12. massholejim

massholejim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Aging sucks, but much better than not aging,it all starts when you start getting called sir.
    Pipeman and Bitingdog like this.
  13. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    I will add that lowered pegs make for so much of a more comfortable riding position. But that’s not why I’m posting. Has anyone had any success with having their crank rebalanced for less vibes? I remember back in maybe 2015, some of the 500 motors were not balanced correctly at the factory and some shop became the go-to place to have it done if you had one of those bikes. I haven’t had a chance to ride mine back to back with another 501, but I’m assuming it’s in the normal range and I’m just getting less willing to tolerate it. I understand that you can’t have your best balance at all rpm ranges, but I’d like to think that a craftsman working by hand with a production line to feed could do a better job. Has anyone had an experience with a shop capable of this?
  14. OneManWolfPack

Oddometer:
    How lowered? I have the Fastways which drop about a 1/2" and 1/2" back and I notice they hang up on ruts etc. Not sure I would want to go lower.
  15. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    Mine are -30mm. It’s a lot, but it means a huge difference in my ability to be on the bike instead of off it complaining about my knees hurting. I’ve really only hit something because of it only once that I am sure of.
    Bitingdog likes this.
  16. OneManWolfPack

Oddometer:
    Whatever keeps you riding is a good mod.
  17. tokig

tokig 20 Husqvarna FE501s Supporter

Oddometer:
    Barely enough size mods (learned from 3yrs on a 701e) on my 2020 501s.
    pegs 50/20 down/back
    bars 40 up (not enough)

20200616_GLPannierWolfmanFuel.jpg
    Bitingdog, LANCIVPT and Rot Box like this.
  18. Bearded Hooligan

Bearded Hooligan Moto Addict

Oddometer:
    Anyone have some insight into on finding the wiring harness map for a 2015 501s? I am going through the new to me 15 and there are some plugs that were taped over and zip tied to the frame. I would like to just go over everything and make sure it is all correct and wont give me problems in the future. I know posting links to manuals is not a good idea, so send me a message if you have a copy of the wiring diagram. Thanks!
  19. new2adv

new2adv Converting gas into wheelies since 1974

Oddometer:
    The wiring diagram is in the factory service manual. You can buy the manual on CD from your local dealer. It’s about $30 and totally worth it.
  20. Sidehil

Sidehil On any Sunday

Oddometer:
    They are awesome bikes! 57E5FEB3-72EE-4F04-97F7-0F43483BF85E.jpeg