Husqvarna FE501S & FE350S

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by trailrider383, Sep 11, 2014.

1. meltdown350

meltdown350 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm also curious.

Because of the straight fitting coming out of the master cylinder I would have to make an immediate hard 90 degree turn to get down the right fork tube.

Why the F couldn't they just use a banjo bolt? Ugh...
  2. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
  3. AlexSonoma

AlexSonoma Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just picked up a used FE501S. Did an oil change, oil was black and looked like the previous owner hadn't changed it in a while. Still, no metal specs on the magnet. Put in new oil, changed the filter, started it up, idled fine, oil level was fine, but when I put it into gear it stalled and then started smoking on startup which took a few tries. I turned it off, noticed the oil level was low - still in the circle in the window but towards the bottom. So I topped it off, started up no problem and then it rode fine without any issues. Any ideas what the issue might be?
  4. spaceman_spiff

spaceman_spiff Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wish I could! I work in AK during the summer and have to leave the bike behind. The thread linked above shows what to do. I also believe "the rolling hobo" did his 500 exc like this
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  5. OneManWolfPack

OneManWolfPack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did you try to start it in gear the first time when it started smoking? Smoke from exhaust?
  6. AlexSonoma

AlexSonoma Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, from the exhaust. I don't think the bike was in gear when it started smoking but since it had just stalled when I shifted, maybe I didn't put it back into neutral.
  7. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did you have bike laid over on its side? It is possible for oil to run through breather line into air box, saturating filter and causing smoke. FWIW
  8. OneManWolfPack

Oddometer:
    Saturated filter is a good place to start. My old 525 would lay down a temporary smoke screen if it got upended. The oil drop is probably normal. Did you prefill the oil filter cavity when you did the change?
  9. AlexSonoma

AlexSonoma Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i did lay down the bike to prefill the oil filter cavity.
  10. OneManWolfPack

Oddometer:
    ok. no idea on the oil drop perhaps an air pocket that worked itself out. How is it running now? What year is it and was it desmogged?
  11. AlexSonoma

AlexSonoma Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It is a 2020 and no it is not desmogged. Seems to be running perfectly now. No smoke, no clutch issues.
  12. OneManWolfPack

Oddometer:
    Ride on. As the other response noted likely oil got into the intake tract. Free smoke screen. Is desmogging still a thing on the S's?
    AlexSonoma likes this.
  13. XRYoda

XRYoda n00b

Oddometer:
    Question for you folks.. I have a low hour 2017 Husky 501 with a JD tuner and a FMF 4.1 can. The bike runs great and I love it. I have read that the 2017 FE501 has about a point lower compression, probably due to emissions. I would like to raise the compression up about a point. I found a mention on a forum that the 501 has used a thicker head gasket to lower the compression, but that is the only mention that I have found in the forums. What are my options to raise it up? Piston, thinner head gasket? I am headed out tomorrow morning to do a few days of riding (Giant Loop organized dual sport ride in Oregon, I cant wait!) so I will be away from my computer for a few days after tonight for responses...
    Anyone likes this.
  14. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:

Instead of playing with a minor compression increase, I'd get rid of the JD tuner and install an aftermarket ECU with both fuel and timing changes (and adjust an increase in the rev limiter) for more performance.
    Bitingdog and NoelJ like this.
  15. Anyone

Anyone Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    @Fast1 my bike came with a jd tuner. I have no reference point to what the benefits of a after market ecu. what are the improvements over the jd?
    Fast1 likes this.
  16. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    Improved fueling throughout the entire rpm range, especially with an aftermarket exhaust and the timing is advanced at certain rpm ranges which dramatically improves acceleration. You can also add a map switch that detunes output for mud/single track. Will be night and day over the JD tuner. There is also an option to increase the rev limiter setting.

I'd suggest looking here https://tacomoto.co/collections/engine-management

If I hadn't had the Euro unrestricted map installed on my ECU when my moto was new, I'd be all over an aftermarket ECU to get as good or better performance.
    Bitingdog and Anyone like this.
  17. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    Got out for the first ride of the year on my 501 this late spring in the upper midwest and got to test out my Zumo XT. Chose an easy 180 mile dual sport ride that had near 14,000 of elevation change. The route is used annually for this 185 mile gravel bike race. I'd make about 50 miles on my pedal bike if I was lucky.

https://grvldrma.com/

The route here: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/35309655

[​IMG]

IMG_2140.jpg IMG_2141.jpg IMG_2148 (3).jpg
  18. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:

Got a delivery today.. Redline Synthetic Like Water Suspension fluid

Seems I have a fork fluid change coming up soon..

upload_2021-6-4_16-16-34.png
    Bitingdog, Snake Oiler and Anyone like this.
  19. OneManWolfPack

Oddometer:
    So this is lighter than a 2.5W?
  20. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    It is lighter than Motorex 2.5w and all others at two different temperatures.. see chart and link below the chart for a complete understanding

thanks to @renogeorge for bringing up these articles and reminding me what I used back in 2012 for my TE630 fork fluid change. I did find a partial container of Redline (like water) still in the cabinet from back then..

[​IMG]

https://advrider.com/f/threads/husqvarna-fe501s-fe350s.1009100/page-1324#post-42415077