Husqvarna FE501S & FE350S

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by trailrider383, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Anyone

Anyone Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Question for the group, how long between rides on technical single track before you notice your skills decline? A week, month, more?
  2. Anatoli

Anatoli Pale rider

Oddometer:
    There are many factors involved, both mental and physical. Assuming there is no physical deterioration of muscle tone and the rider is experienced, very little degradation of skills will occur. For older riders such as myself, time off because of injury is detrimental because most of us lose core strength, stamina , and flexibility when parked. Younger riders are far more resilient and heal faster. Some riders experience a debilitating fear of re injury after a damaging crash. This is not irrational, and can really inhibit riding at the same level as before.
    Fast1 and Anyone like this.
  3. BaddAndy

BaddAndy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It depends. If you're so skilled that you're at the top of the game, maybe your skills will drop off. If you're like me who isn't and hasn't ever been at the top, It doesn't matter as I've never ridden at any frequency so don't lose any skill. I can tell you though at 60 years of age riding almost 40 years of ST, I'm only getting better. Now riding trails like Bishop Ridge up and last weekend Batey Bould. I do MTB and a run once a week if not riding.
    Anyone likes this.
  4. Anyone

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input. I don't ride ST enough and feel like I’m relearning each time i do. I'm moving into semi retirement next year which will afford me more time to improve, keep up on my riding.
  5. Doc Sarvis

Doc Sarvis Advent-ia before dementia Supporter

Oddometer:
    I ride my MTB far more. Emtb that is. Good way to cover ground and work on skills. I have improved my moto riding a bunch and I am ancient
    PDXR650 likes this.
  6. Anyone

Oddometer:
    I ride embt often on a great trail system close to home. I think my problem that seems to repeat itself is body position. I initially forget to maintain a neutral position (not nearly the same struggle on a embt) and then once i’m exhausted from fighting the bike i cant balance and it all goes to hell. Yesterday was super slick mud.i still had a great time, im also cheating with a rekluse and tubliss. I hadn't rode ST since December 19.
  7. ItsDoAble

ItsDoAble Bird bait Supporter

Oddometer:
    First camping trip on the FE501s chasing snowbanks all weekend. It was tons of fun, and I learned a lot about small bike adventure riding capability. 20210605_134128.jpg 20210606_092626.jpg

And yes, that is a chair.
  8. Anatoli

Anatoli Pale rider

Oddometer:
    Bishop Ridge is serious business. Congrats!
  9. OneManWolfPack

OneManWolfPack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can tell you I was quickest around age 30 with a combo of youth and skill. At 40 my times were slower and 10 years beyond that definitely slower. The clock doesn't lie. That being said it is still tons of fun despite the regression lol.

Oh wait. Between rides? Yeah a month. After winter it takes 3-4 good ST sessions to start to feel somewhat normal.
    Anyone likes this.
  10. HazAFlat

HazAFlat Has-A-Flat

Oddometer:
    Had a Braaping good time on the Hatfield McCoy trails this weekend... my 2016 FE 350s did not disappoint 20210604_064303.jpg
  11. OneManWolfPack

OneManWolfPack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Brapping? More like thumping?
  12. BaddAndy

BaddAndy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hard yes, but one of the few trails with no scary parts. Rare in the PNW!
    On top of all the rocks, last Sept the storm added 5 trees to ride over later up the trail!
  13. PDXR650

PDXR650 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Was just in Astoria camping this past weekend thinking about moto....is there good riding nearby? Heard a rumor you could ride from Astoria to Diamond Mill in Tillamook.....
  14. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    Check out post #15: https://advrider.com/f/threads/the-wet-edge-ds-route-down-the-coast-range.1454033/
    This is a route that's close and it seems it wouldn't be too hard to figure out a connecting route from the middle of that to Astoria.
    PDXR650 likes this.
  15. LANCIVPT

LANCIVPT Carbon Pilot

Oddometer:
    Finally got the 501 ready for the season - been having too much fun on my new 2021 GasGas EC300 ( 40 Hours on it since April 2nd). Just finished the annual winter clean and service on the 501. 64386508917__ED1CB2AE-B698-4CEC-94E8-5E1DC90CFA12.jpg
  16. Anyone

Oddometer:
    @PDXR650 nicolai mtn is 20 miles east, its fun. I rode the trask in tillamook this weekend, it was nasty, it poured before and during the ride, super slippery. I don't know the roads that would connect, but i wouldn't be surprised if there are dirt/gravel roads that connect to tillamook. But i would be very surprised if they weren't gated.
  17. Star_Platinum

Star_Platinum Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi guys.

I want to learn some easy off-road trail riding and have zero experience doing so.

Should I get the 350 or 501 dualsport ? This would be my first dual-sport bike. Also I'm not too good on maintenance (mostly valves) but I can do oil changes easy.

Or should I get a traditional 250/300cc Japanese dualsport?
  18. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    If it's your first trail riding dual sport I recommend a cheap Japanese bike first, that way you'll later appreciate the lighter, better performing Euro bike so much more when you want to upgrade. However, keep in mind that simply because it's Japanese doesn't mean parts will be in stock- that's been a myth for about 10 years now. That being said, I started on a KLR600, went to a TE610, and now have a FE350. Each bike was progressively lighter and the FE350 feels so much lighter and more nimble than the TE610. I've heard that despite the 350 and 501 being within a few pounds of each other, the 350 feels more nimble due to the less rotating crank mass, but I've never ridden a 501 so can't verify.
    JMH, Doc Sarvis, Anyone and 1 other person like this.
  19. Beamerpilot

Beamerpilot Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    First and foremost determine what type of riding are you planing on doing long term, if as stated easy off road my suggestion then would be to go to the bike shop and sit on both and if possible test ride each one, weight wise the 350 and 501 are very close so it’s down to available power required. If you’re planing on dual sport as stated and not full out off road/motocross then I would go for the bike I want to own in the end. Learning on the bike you want to own has many advantages providing you have some previous motorcycle experience otherwise if you plan on going all out initially I would go with with Baroquenride’s excellent recommendation.
    In my case I considered both but I went for the 501s due to some pavement between off road riding locations.
    I started on Bultaco and mid 70s era Huskys then to fast road and sport bikes for many years until the 501 today.
    Let us know when you decide.
  20. Doc Sarvis

Doc Sarvis Advent-ia before dementia Supporter

Oddometer:
    After an extended time off of motos when the kids were young I bought a used DRZ 400 rode it a couple thousand miles and decided that I was going to ride regularly and I wanted something more competent. I sold it for a little less than I paid for it and moved to a 500 EXC. Mind blowing difference but a huge step up in commitment. So baby steps is my advice.