Husqvarna FE501S & FE350S

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by trailrider383, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Comanche13

Comanche13 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a Rekluse that was damaged because of a chain break , however, I still used it for 6 months , and I will find the old original give me a address
  2. Emgo

Emgo Started on a CT70 almost 52 years ago

Oddometer:
    Magura sent me a piston last year and said they had not had any failures with the updated part. It failed about 2 weeks ago. I order the KTM piston which is a different design. It only has a simple oring for a seal. We'll see, I don't know of any KTM failures. Rocky Mt ATV about $60 bucks.
    Fast1 likes this.
  3. memopad

memopad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think I may have solved or accidentally adjusted away my suspension woes.

Right now I'm about 18 clicks out on fork rebound, one in from all the way out on compression, +1 on the preload adjuster. I also bled each fork, nothing out of the compression side, but I did get some air out of the rebound side.

Shock is basically all the way out on high and low speed compression.

It's feeling pretty plush now, I need to do a longer ride to confirm that for other surfaces. If it's good enough I'll start dialing some compression back in.

I really don't like the seat concepts comfort tall seat. It's hardly taller than stock and feels really hard. I'm thinking about biting the bullet and having a renazco seat made. Something even taller and hopefully a little softer. If I can get even an inch more distance between seat and foot pegs I'll be in heaven.
  4. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!!

Oddometer:
    Glad that’s working for you. I could be wrong. But with compression backed all the way off, sounds like you’re dealing with a spring rate problem. There is a common misconception that going to a stiffer spring, right for your weight, will make for a harsher ride. Just the opposite is the case. The stiffer spring will keep the shock/forks operating in the right range to match dampening. Apologies if I missed the mark on your setup. FWIW
    PDXR650 likes this.
  5. Bearded Hooligan

Bearded Hooligan Moto Addict

Oddometer:
    I have been prepping my 501 for a run at the TAT. Leaving Thursday afternoon and rode it to work this morning to do one last check on it. Several odd things occurred this morning.

1. I have the keyless eliminator and the bike would not start. Put the key back on and it fired right up. Not a huge deal just odd.
    2. Bike now bogs on hard acceleration. Runs and idles fine. Short shifting it I can get up to highway speeds, but as soon as I do a roll on or whack the throttle it bogs.

Here is a list of the work that I have completed over the last month. However, the latest work was done after I rode it 80-100 miles where it ran perfectly. Most recently I did oil/filter change, brake pads, chain/sprockets and tires. Bike sat on the tender for the last couple of weeks. Everything ran/worked perfectly during that 80-100 mile test ride. Prior to that 80-100 mile ride I did new air filter with filter skin, 5.3G Acerbis tank, new in tank metal fuel filter from Taco Moto, valve adjustment.

What could cause it to start bogging when it ran flawless when last parked? Like to get this sorted quickly since the trip is rapidly approaching. Thanks for any guidance.

Want to add, bike is desmogged, stock pipe, and I was told when I purchased the bike that it has the Euro Map installed.
  6. Emgo

Oddometer:
    I just purchased a low hour Renazco for my 2017 501 I found here. I have been running a standard Seat Concepts Comfort. I haven't ridden the Renazco yet but it feels like a board compared to the Seat Concepts. The Renazco is about the same shape and height as the Seat Concept but I don't think it will be more comfortable for me but I'll have to put a few hours on it before I know for sure.
  7. Bearded Hooligan

Oddometer:
    I have a Renazco on my 950SE and it was that way when new, after many miles it is now broken in and is the best seat I've used on an ADV bike. It just took a little longer than I would have thought to break in. I have the tall Seat Concepts on my 501 and its pretty good too.
    Emgo likes this.
  8. Bearded Hooligan

Oddometer:
    Thoughts on if this is fuel pump related or something else? The only thing that was touched fueling wise was the fuel filter. Changed from the oem plastic to the metal one.
  9. Anyone

Anyone Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Possible pinched fuel hose in the installing of the new filter?
    powderzone likes this.
  10. OneManWolfPack

OneManWolfPack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Master or slave?
  11. OneManWolfPack

Oddometer:
    That really sounds like fuel supply issue. I would check small inline filter first and then if that is a no go replace in tank metal filter or run no tank filter and see if problem persists.
    Anyone likes this.
  12. PDXR650

PDXR650 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What are your sag #'s? Dials all the way out like that, particularly on the Xplor stuff, is indicative of something else going on. Stock clicker setting by the book should result in a good all around plush ride so long as you have proper springs for your weight.

You are spot on, spring rate too soft can 100% make suspension feel harsh....stiffer in many cases can = plusher, I'd always err on the side of a stiffer spring, especially for a) a taller rider or b) an adv bike that may be carrying extra weight on occasion.
  13. Bearded Hooligan

Oddometer:
    Thanks! That is what I am going to check this afternoon. Ordered a new fuel pump, filter and fuel regulator overnight from Taco Moto. He was awesome enough to text with me and diagnose with what info we have and is sending me the parts overnight. Either way, Ill be up and going for departure. If its just a kinked line, then Ill be taking a spare along for the trip anyway.
  14. NoelJ

NoelJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Intake blocked in any way? Lots of rags left in airboxes over the years. And I did see a report of a reed cage on a newer 500/501 dislodging and partially blocking the intake.
  15. Emgo

Oddometer:
    Slave
  16. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    Remove the filter skin and try it
  17. Mikelb01

Mikelb01 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I bought a used 2017 FE350. I'm having trouble lining up the bolt hole for the seat. Its as if the seat can slide forward far enough for the hole to line up. Got any tips or advice?
  18. OneManWolfPack

Oddometer:
    Stock tank? push center down while sliding forward.. If all else fails BFH
  19. Bearded Hooligan

Oddometer:
    Well I feel like an idiot. Just got home from work. Guess the pump I ordered will be a spare Ill bring along. Bike ran flawless. Before I left work I opened the gas cap to look at the hoses to see if any were kinked in the tank and the little rubber piece inside the cap was sideways. Probably not allowing the tank to vent. Hopefully that’s all it was.
    Fast1 likes this.
  20. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!!

Oddometer:
    Easy to have kinked line or loose connection. One of those would’ve my bet. Also filter is directional.