Husqvarna FE501S & FE350S

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by trailrider383, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Anyone

Anyone Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear it Was something simple.
  2. AMCJEEP

AMCJEEP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad you figured it out. But just to keep in your head if funky stuff pops up again. I have also had things like this happen when I had a bad/ loose ground.
  3. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    Pulled my old 4cs forks apart today to do a simple fluid change with the Redline synthetic fork oil (like water).

Everything was going smoothly until during filling the first fork from the bottom and I noticed that oil was leaking out of the dampener rod from the oil separator o-ring when upside down.. Seems like it is known problem from extended use.

Decided to give Stillwell Performance a call to see if they had the seals and could just replace them if I sent
    the removed dampeners in.. Seems like it will be a rather painless cost and quick turn around.

What I thought was going to be a quick fluid change... instead wasted one container of Redline fluid.. Seems my 4cs were turning into open chamber forks with that seal leaking.

The oil separator seal sits around the dampener rod right above the area located near the outer blue o-ring seal. Will get the blue O-ring changed out at the same time. Didn't have the special tools (dampener vice clamp and pics) or more importantly the oil separator o-ring so sent the dampeners off.

Forks.jpg
  4. OneManWolfPack

OneManWolfPack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well not as fancy as the fork blow up but here is a picture of a failed Magura clutch master piston seal (top piston). Service time 104 hours till failure. Better than the slave I suppose. Good riddance Magura on the new bikes.

clutch master piston.jpg
    RTWstare and Rot Box like this.
  5. Comanche13

Comanche13 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    No wolfman not as fancy but still good quality with a name like Fast hard to keep up to his tech info plus it looks like he spanked back 3 beer while doing it , the empty beer bottles in the picture , the impedimy of cool good luck with your slave update you will be cool once you get out riding
  6. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    Fork Beer!

upload_2021-6-17_10-13-29.png
    RTWstare likes this.
  7. Comanche13

Comanche13 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
  8. Rot Box

Rot Box Diesel and Dust

Oddometer:

Not a difficult fix just annoying as hell I can imagine. Hope you get it sorted keep us posted. I’m in constant fear that my Magura components are going to fail based off everything I’ve seen on the forums. Never did get a clear answer if the 20+ bikes are any better when it comes to master/slave cylinders
  9. new2adv

new2adv Converting gas into wheelies since 1974

Oddometer:
    I think it's a total crap shoot with Magura. My current bike has been going for 6 years with no problem. Previous bike failed in less than a year. Bike before that was 6 years old when the slave went out.
  10. matloik

matloik kludge Supporter

Oddometer:
    And is the crap shoot statistically any worse than a lot of components? Failures certainly get inordinately amplified on the internet. I still have the Magura on my MY18 501. Though the hubbub did cause me to purchase a spare backup last year.
    PDXR650 likes this.
  11. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    What year did Husky switch to a Magura system?

Seems 2014 had Brembo right from the factory and confirm mine has performed flawlessly for 306 hours and a bit over 10,000 miles.
    Anyone likes this.
  12. new2adv

new2adv Converting gas into wheelies since 1974

Oddometer:
    I can only compare Magura against Brembo. 3 Magura failures vs 1 on Brembo.
  13. OneManWolfPack

Oddometer:
    Magura clutches were on the original RFS bikes albeit with mineral oil. The swollen seal in my picture confirms that Magura is/was struggling with seals that are compatible with brake fluid. Simple fix but the OEM Magura rebuild kit was $150 Cdn from the dealer which is crazy for two rubber seals, a plastic washer and a tiny piston. They should be providing them for free with an apology for manufacturing crap. I went with the all balls kit so now my system is all ballz / oberon.
    new2adv and Rot Box like this.
  14. ztrab

ztrab Long timer

Oddometer:
    Interesting. I just converted my CS into open chamber. About 5K on them and seem to work well for me. '15 501 FE
    Doc Sarvis likes this.
  15. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    Did you purchase and install a kit conversion yourself or have it done by a company?

Most significant changes you noticed after the conversion?
  16. Doc Sarvis

Doc Sarvis Advent-ia before dementia Supporter

Oddometer:
    I sent my 4CS forks to ZipTy and it's worlds better. I think it was $300? Open conversion with new base valves.
  17. Finnyfire

Finnyfire Jedi Master

Oddometer:
  18. OneManWolfPack

Oddometer:
    you running stubby fuel line with check valve off your gas cap?
  19. Finnyfire

Finnyfire Jedi Master

Oddometer:
    Yes. I was. Stubby line with check Valve end cap. I have since removed the check ball from the cap but haven’t had a chance to test it yet.
  20. OneManWolfPack

Oddometer:
    I had to remove mine. For some reason my 2 strokes are ok with it but not the 4stroke with big tank. Perhaps too much volume to vent. This pressurizes the tank which theoretically should reduce boiling. Higher elevations will also make the tank more prone to boiling. If tuned stock then a lean tune will also make things hot.