Husqvarna FE501S & FE350S

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by trailrider383, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Doc Sarvis

Doc Sarvis Advent-ia before dementia Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a Bullet Proof aluminum guard that protects the linkage. Mind boggling how much punishment it takes from rocks/sand coming off the front tire. Well worth the $75.
  2. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    all these tracks in WI are near that area.. PM me if you want me to send any to you

upload_2021-6-24_16-0-51.png
    WIsixfitty likes this.
  3. WIsixfitty

WIsixfitty rock and roll the bones

Oddometer:
    Cannonshot likes this.
  4. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    yes I believe one is the NWAT but the link you provided is much better for @Snake Oiler purpose to hone in on local
    trails where he will be staying.

thanks for refreshing my memory of the source and the link..

Snake Oiler and WIsixfitty like this.
  5. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
  6. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    Sno Dawg, Gaup, Rot Box and 5 others like this.
  7. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    @Snake Oiler

Keep an out out for ticks on your body after riding the brush..

Seems you are spending some quality time in the forest. lucky you.

Bet that terrain is a complete opposite from NM..
    RTWstare likes this.
  8. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:
    Yeah I know all too well about those things. In Missouri I got into a mess of them. And not sure what, but got a bite that night on, well let's just say I'm not going to play with my meat for a few days. Actually got concerned enough to go see a Dr about it. First time I ever paid for someone to just look at it. And wouldn't you know if was a dud. Just my luck.:becca
    NicKel78 likes this.
  9. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:
    No really The biggest difference is trees. Haven't gotten into much sand as I thought, yet. Lol
  10. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:
  11. memopad

memopad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you head up into the UP and want to ride any single track let me know. Lots of good two track and dirt roads around up here as well.

And if you really feel the need to find some cooler weather just get a little closer to Lake Superior. Highs in the 50's up here tomorrow, north wind off the lake :D
    Fast1 and WIsixfitty like this.
  12. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Here is a better source link for a large catalog of tracks in the region. GPS Files Archives - Cannonshot.net

Always best to get tracks from the orginal source since sometimes they have to be updated to comply with land use changes. :D

Hope they prove helpful to you in the future. :thumb
    Snake Oiler, PYG RYDR and WIsixfitty like this.
  13. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    one spot that has tons of sand trails is Black River Falls (BRF) Also certain areas of the UP of MI will give you a good dose. I'm sure @WIsixfitty has some good destinations also for those sand regions.

Some of my favorite sand trails are north east of Danbury, WI but they are only open to motos during late fall..

The quad track trails (class 3 trails on attached map) north of Iron River, WI can be a good challenge with some whoops thrown in.

https://www.bayfieldcounty.org/DocumentCenter/View/1827/2020-21-Bayfield-County-ATV-UTV-Map?bidId=

Snake Oiler likes this.
  14. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:
    I was looking for a site in the NF up there for the week of the 4th, but wasn't able to locate one. So I got the site in the Ottawa NF in Wisconsin. Until the 8th. Then I need to go back to Pennsylvania for so business on the 13th. So it's going to have to be another time. I've been wanting to check out the NP for a bit now.

Thanks for the offer though. Really appreciate it.
  15. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:
    Thanks much @Cannonshot I'll check it out later today. It's a rain day here so I'm going to just hang and maybe do something out of the truck.
  16. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    Finally finished up my fork servicing with the Redline lightweight "feels like water" suspension fluid after Stillwell did the seal replacements (blue and purple seals) in the oil separator (seal ring retainer) for me. If anyone has the old school 4CS forks I found this documentary nice to have for servicing.

https://aomc.mx/mm5/graphics/00000001/13_4CS_en_RM.pdf

First test ride hitting 7" abrupt straight edge curbs straight on at 10-20 mph seemed impressively better, like there wasn't even a curb there. Will take some time on a real ride for complete opinion but at this point I'd say the Redline lightweight is an asset mated with the 4CS forks.

Heard a bunch of noise out in the garage this afternoon and went out to look.. found a bunch of forks gathering around to get a glimpse of the 501 trying to finish off the rest of the fork beer.. :lol3

Forks1.jpg
    Bitingdog, Snake Oiler and Anyone like this.
  17. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:
    Curious on your results. Does the Red Line play well with others or does a complete take down and cleaning needed to change over from other oils?
  18. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    I didn't do anything special other than pulling the base tap, cartridge and springs and internals out.

Nothing different than one would do for a fluid change. Then I wiped the parts down with a papertowel and ensured complete drainage. Refilled with Redline Lightweight feels like water. Was one of the suspension fluids a number of pages back rated very well. This fluid is very thin and flows through the shim stacks and cartridge a bit better for my likes.

Unfortunately I found a couple of seals in my 4cs that required replacement and I didn't have those seals (could not find them on line anywhere) nor did I have the tool necessary to hold the cartridge in a vice for dismantling and seal replacement. Stillwell had stock of the seals and quick turn around so I sent out the cartridges to them. From my experience during this little interchange, I'd use them again for further suspension modifications.

These are the two seals I had to have replaced. #3 was leaking fluid from one chamber to the upper chamber.

upload_2021-6-27_20-47-39.png

If your forks are ready for a fluid change I'd give the Redline Lightweight product a try.

19. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:
    Okay I was just wondering. I have different cartridges in my forks. I put the Lucky ones in. Very happy with them I might add. I've been using Belray fluids in everything to date. But I might switch to Amsoil dirt bike engine oil. I ran it in my X Challenge and it really quieted down the engine noise with no ill effect I could find in 7k miles. But it didn't run at the high rpms like the husky can/does.

Oh is the Red Line 2.5w?
  20. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    Snake Oiler likes this.