Husqvarna FE501S & FE350S

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by trailrider383, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Comanche13

Comanche13 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    That gun looks like a bear
  2. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    As far as resale, I'm thinking it should be good. Haven't read much lately but not long ago new bikes were next to impossible to get. And wait times were longer than in a long time. Plus sounds like yours just has the bugs blown up of it.
    Heli-Pilot and PYG RYDR like this.
  3. PYG RYDR

PYG RYDR Adventure-Dual Sport

Oddometer:
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  4. Rot Box

Rot Box Diesel and Dust

Oddometer:
    Two Husabergs in the wild?! Pretty sure we saw a unicorn on that ride too lol.

9A8DEA93-5482-4E6F-A94A-FCA188B43EEB.jpeg
  5. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:

no 90/100-21 in stock unfortunately ( my fav front tire)

upload_2021-7-13_21-11-14.png
  6. Heli-Pilot

Heli-Pilot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I am using the 90/90 "chubby" tire. Tried the fatty but didn't like how much it seemed to slow the steering down. Worked great otherwise!
  7. NicKel78

NicKel78 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Haven't shot the .50. but owned a .460. It's best shot with Mobius wrist braces and a full face helmet on. The concussion is more insane than the wrist damage with the muzzle brake on it.
  8. Bitingdog

Bitingdog That's not my dog

Oddometer:
    Liked because I understand, but I don't like it. Y'know?

Keep it going as long as you can.

All the best,
    Adam
    NicKel78, PYG RYDR and Snake Oiler like this.
  9. Doc Sarvis

Doc Sarvis Advent-ia before dementia Supporter

Oddometer:
    That is a complete sweetheart of a scooter. In So Cal that would command some good money.
    Heli-Pilot likes this.
  10. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Me too. The 90/100 fatty is 9mm taller. That is enough to effect steering considerably. Think what happens if you raise your forks 9mm in the triple clamps. If you like the 90/90, I have found a couple of regular 80/100 21" fronts that are as wide as the Chubby with normal height--the Bridgestone M59 and the Michelin Starcross 5. I use both in dry/sandy conditions where I ride. FWIW
    Bitingdog and Heli-Pilot like this.
  11. Nathan_66

Nathan_66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't f'n think about it, ride til you drop, that's the way I'm playin it...

Reckon the 250 will be able handle the ORYgun hills? That's one thing I worry about, running out of power mid-climb...

and very sexy! lol also northwards in Seattle region would sell well too
    Dirt2007 likes this.
  12. OneManWolfPack

OneManWolfPack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hated the 90/100 as well for the reasons you describe, slow steering and numb. Looking back I should have raised the forks to compensate for the taller front tire. It also seemed to grab rut edges easier but that may have been in my head.
  13. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:
    I'm got a 90/90 coming to try. Kenda's new knarly. Slaven talked highly of it and I wasn't able to find the Southwick 2. Which is definitely my front go to tire.
  14. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:
    A inmate just posted up he's looking for a 501 or her orange cuz. Just saying, but Id think you will miss the 501 before long
  15. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    Not only that, if you have your rear sag off (too much sag), the 90/100 will only magnify the "chopper" syndrome just as will running a small diameter rear tire..

Now add another variable of PDS vs linkage.. then add a steering stabilizer and all opinions are just that "opinions"

I run my rear sag right on the money (105mm) for my vintage and the forks raised in the clamps to the second line with the 90/100 and would buy another in a heart beat.

So many variables that it is difficult to draw comparable conclusions of the tire performance between different bike set ups and owners.

Anyone else have their rear sag set at 105mm and the forks slid up in the triples to the second line with a 90/100 and a proper 140/80-18 rear tire and no stabilizer??

Seems you have to experiment and see what works for your moto set up, speed you ride and terrain you ride...

upload_2021-7-15_11-32-33.png

Bitingdog and Takataka like this.
  16. OneManWolfPack

Oddometer:
    104mm sag, stabilizer "off". At 14psi you could feel the taller sidewall flexing and took more input. The same tire in the 90/90 (chubby?) felt much better IMO. As you say to each their own.
  17. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    Does the MY17-19 FE501 spec a rear sag of 104 mm? For some reason I thought the new vins
    went to more sag than the MY14-16..

Yes everyone has a different set up and I did forget the two other variables in the equation, PSI and tubeliss

I have never ran that high (14 psi) of PSI in the 90/100 unless I am on pavement at speed in excess of 55 mph for +20 mile durations.

In all other situations I am at 7-10 psi with Tubeliss. Maybe that is why the 90/100 doesn't feel as tall
    for me due to less air pressure creating more squish and in reality a smaller circumference..

Key is to experiment and find out what works for you.

Just looked up MY16 FE501 and rear sag spec is 100mm.. 5mm less than the MY14. learn something new every day. Seems all the vintages have a somewhat different rear sag..

upload_2021-7-15_22-27-59.png

Now if you want to follow the factory spec for the MY2017 rear sag you should set it at 110 mm not the 104 mm you mentioned. Sometimes those handling problems some riders face are just due to improper suspension set up.

upload_2021-7-15_22-37-35.png
  18. OneManWolfPack

Oddometer:
    Nope I was confused with my orange 300. I checked my book and my sag and at least for MY18 it says 110mm (my sag is sitting at 110mm). I'm set for trying to run between whether I am day riding (less load) vs longer trip. I really don't want to turn the preload day to day. Loaded I probably have too much sag (like when I carry the chainsaw) . Doesn't help with the 17L tank either. Huge difference between full/empty.

Running a .54 spring and the WP bladder upgrade kit in the rear (very good and keeps shock functioning properly if riding long sections of heavy whoops) with upgraded valving. The rear is very nice no problem and the front is also pretty good. Just not with the fatty front.
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  19. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't use the front fatty either if I had to run 14 psi in it especially when slightly choppered out after loading on extra weight without any preload adjustments.

In fact, I wouldn't even get off the tarmac with 14 psi in the front tire no matter what I spooned on.

For clarity, notice I say "I wouldn't".

What you do is your decision for you and your moto. Got a pic of that Goldentyre chubby mounted up on your moto so we can see what it looks?
  20. OneManWolfPack

Oddometer:
    Well the real tough slow stuff is left for the 300 and the psis are lower if required. I o wouldn't drop below much below 14 psi on the 501 especially for high speed stuff running the big tank and my height and weight weight (6'2"210ish) . No chubby picture mounted as they are backordered. Got a Pirelli Scorpion Pro currently on one set and a brand new heart shaped Parker DT going on the other set.

The sidewall flex on the fatty was noticeable at like 14 psi. I never ran it on slow stuff. How is the sidewall flex at low tubliss pressures? Fans of it say they love the way it absorbs hits so it must have decent flex. The only GT tire pic I have is this fatty on the scale. Fatty is the right word. 5 KG...Have not weighed a chubby. Perhaps it isn't the sidewall at all, just the big unsprung weight causing big centripetal force? IDK.

IMG_4038.JPG