Husqvarna FE501S & FE350S

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by trailrider383, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    I myself can't justify two so close the same. But in my dreams I can.:getiton
  2. OneManWolfPack

OneManWolfPack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A riding buddy has added a dual sport kit to his KTM300. If you are avoiding most pavement and keeping speed below 50 MPH this is a possible solution. Of course it depends if your jurisdiction will allow it.
    Bitingdog likes this.
  3. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:
    The 300 has been in my crosshairs for a while now. It would definitely fit in my garage while traveling to have a choice of over the 501 in some of the places I'll be I'm sure
    Bitingdog likes this.
  4. OneManWolfPack

Oddometer:
    and if you install a dual sport kit it will be enough to bluff your way in most cases...
    Bitingdog likes this.
  5. Takataka

Takataka Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Saving a few pounds here and there is good but in my experience a bike loses the most weight through rider skill. Practicing balance and good technique makes a massive difference to physical input and when you do fall over you will have much more energy in reserve to pick the bike up.
    If you're constantly wrestling a 108kg bike you'll still be wrestling a 105kg bike.

I'm not disputing that a 300 is better in the rough (I'd like one too) but just adding some perspective.
  6. Doc Sarvis

Doc Sarvis Advent-ia before dementia Supporter

Oddometer:
    Really good point. I see this more with skiing than I do on the bikes. That first few days is brutal after six months off. All primarily due to fighting to find the balance point and staying near it. Once you do, most of the effort goes away.
    Takataka likes this.
  7. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:
    I agree with you. This past summer I believe my skills improved greatly just by being on the bike in a much different riding environment. Even though I still found the ground not nearly as much at the end of the trip. Hopefully I can continue this routine through out the winter here in NM.

But just for thought, when was the TPI bikes introduced? I believe that would be the best rather than an older version of the 300's
    Takataka likes this.
  8. OneManWolfPack

Oddometer:
    The 300s are 25 lbs lighter... TPI on the 300 arrived 2018 I believe. They spent time smoothing the engine out so less vibes than the 500
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  9. Takataka

Takataka Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The KTM 2022 brochure claims 103.4kg (228 lbs) for the 300 and 105.6kg (233 lbs) for the 500

The husky 2022 brochure claims 106.4kg (234 lbs) for the 300 and 108.4kg (239 lbs) for the 501

Perhaps different on earlier models or you are comparing a dry weight on one bike to fueled on another?
    Fast1, NoelJ and NicKel78 like this.
  10. OneManWolfPack

Oddometer:
    That must be a non S 501 but still that is crazy light. I imagine those goofy stock mirrors, taillight assembly and various switches may add up to 10lbs ish . It's amazing they have dropped that much weight unless KTM is measuring their bikes without fluids again. My 2018 501 (only one version that year) ready to ride was close to 250. Dropping 12 lbs is impressive.

Actually hunted around on the web: KTM brochure shows 105.6 kg for 500EXC and Husky says 111.8 kg for the 501S. 6.2 kg difference. Is the Husky really that much heavier?
  11. NicKel78

NicKel78 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Linkage suspension accounts for part of that weight difference.
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  12. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:
    I think my gal might have covid. She has been breathing hard I think. IMG_20210922_135245356.jpg

New tire is mounted Kenda Knarly IMG_20210922_135552654_HDR.jpg

The mousse looks great after 2000 miles. I used Murphy tire soap and not the grease that's supplied with them. IMG_20210922_120745488_HDR.jpg IMG_20210922_115906646_HDR.jpg
  13. OneManWolfPack

Oddometer:
    Tip of the hat to you for wrestling with the mousse.
    Yeti2ride likes this.
  14. Yeti2ride

Yeti2ride Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree 100%.

Removed one and replaced with a tube on a non Husky, but I broke a sweat getting that mousse out. Maybe there is a trick to it ? I didn't do any research and tore it up trying to remove. I would definitely do some research if I was installing one.
  15. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:
    Yeah it was a bit tougher than a tube. But the knowledge I'm not going to be fixing a flat in the middle of nowhere, plus not having to carry the tools to do so. I'll work a bit at Basecamp. I mounted my tusk tire machine to a piece of tubing that fits my hitch getting off the ground made it much easier. IMG_20210922_115413069_HDR.jpg
    By the way I'm really not a fan of the tire machine. I'm sure there's way better ones at more cost.
    G-lat, Holaday, Yeti2ride and 3 others like this.
  16. Comanche13

Comanche13 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    That is fantastic snake I have mentioned here a few times how much I like my regular nitro mousse it’s on its 3rd tire , a Goldyn 723 , a Motoz Desert HT , and now a basic Perrili , close to 12,000 km and still going strong , Perilli I went to a smaller tire size and this tire is not the best tire but all I could get during Covid , great to hear you ‘ve had a hell of a summer .
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  17. NoelJ

NoelJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great part about mousse-wrestling is that you WON'T be doing it in the dirt somewhere as darkness approaches and clouds gather, with bare- minimum tools.
    renogeorge and Yeti2ride like this.
  18. meatsack

meatsack Moto-idiot

Oddometer:
    Made the switch to mousse almost two years ago and wont go back to tubes. (I don't ride on the road unless I'm connecting trails...)
    The Rabaconda is essential kit if this is your jam. Tire/ Mousse change is a legit 5-8 minute process with out any sweating, swearing, bloody knuckles or torn up equipment.

It breaks down small enough that for multi-day trips I'll have it in the van just in case. Though I have not yet needed it in the field.
    [​IMG]
  19. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:
    I've thought about one. Just hard to part with that much cash when I have a cheap machine now. A buddy has one but yet to see it in action. That could convince me to get one for what 3-4 times a year?
  20. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:

Hey chief how your off time going. Let's see some of those awesome pics of the great north country.