Husqvarna FE501S & FE350S

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by trailrider383, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Dudsamoto

Dudsamoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a deposit down on a 501s, no word yet, but looks like they are getting close. I was told mid November and hopefully that is true.
    Maybe first ride report from Chilly at enduro360http://www.enduro360.com/2014/10/30/blog/2015-husqvarna-dual-sport-comparison-teaser/
  2. 2ride

2ride Adventurer

Oddometer:
  3. 2ride

2ride Adventurer

Oddometer:
  4. MB UAE

MB UAE Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I picked up my FE450 3 weeks ago, all run in, suspension set up for my weight (100Kg :1drink). First fast ride this weekend and it was incredible. The suspension on these bikes are brilliant! Smooth power, great handling. Best bike I have ever owned by far.
  5. Bikenstitches

Bikenstitches Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just put a deposit on an FE350S, but still not sure if I should be going with the 501 instead...
  6. MB UAE

MB UAE Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Depends what type of terrain and riding you are doing. I live and ride on dunes, and had a KTM 350 SXF before I bought the FE 450. I am 100kg and the 350 did everything I needed to pull me through the sand plus it was really light, really nimble.
    The torque of the 450 is a nice change, but I do feel the weight difference. I would stick with the 350 if I were you, its better in the tight stuff, has enough guts for sand and I was never left by the 450's around me. The 501, by all accounts, is a bit of a handful for the average rider.
  7. MasterMarine

MasterMarine Long timer

Oddometer:
    Those look nice but why no kick starter on the 501? I have certainly been happy to have it several times on my 500EXC! :lol3
  8. Bikenstitches

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your perspective. A pal had an EXC500 for a few short months and sold it because it was too much to handle. There are a lot of tight and rocky trails in my neck of the woods, leading me to believe I'm going down the right path with lighter weight and manageable power... but a set of SUMO wheels would make the 501 a great track bike too!
  9. Slideways#96

Slideways#96 scooter trash

Oddometer:
    I'm looking closely at both of these as well. Leaning towards the 350 though coming off a 950 that 501 would probably feel like a mountain bike.
  10. Dudsamoto

Oddometer:
    O.K. Got the call from 3 Bros. racing. My Bike is in Ohio! It will be on a truck to Cali next week. ( If the weather cooperates) Can't friggin wait!:clap
    So... should this thread just morph into the Husky FE 350/501s sign in type thread? or should we start a new one when bikes start showing up, so we can share setup tips and other bits of wisdom? Oh, and PICTURES!
    We will be the pioneers of the NEW (Austrian) street legal Husky's after all.
  11. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    Regear it with a 14/48 or 13/45 with stock chain and strengthen your grip
    and set aside money for rear tires! :lol3

Congrats on the new bike.
  12. Dudsamoto

Oddometer:
    Yea, 14/48 seemed to be the best all around on my TE 510 also. I would throw a 15 on there if I knew there were no really technical sections on a ride, but it was too high for the tight stuff. I saw a super-sprox at the dealer with a cool blue anodized center. oooooooooooooooohhhh:evil
    I am a BIG guy, so the first thing will be to get the suspension dialed and then some ergo stuff like higher bars,tall seat, ect.
    Always fun to play with a new toy......
  13. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    The internal gear box ratios on the FE501 are completely different the TE510. The FE has a significantly wider spread than the TE.

The 15/45 stock gear set on the FE501S will be miserable unless you plan on riding on the freeway at 80 mph all day.
  14. Dudsamoto

Oddometer:
    Totally agree, the 510 was a great gearbox for tight singletrack, but not ideal for a true "dualsport" bike. For me the 501 will be a "Dirtbike with a plate"
    so the gearing will have to be changed. My understanding is the high gearing is to help pass noise and smog rules for street legal status.
  15. alvincullumyork

alvincullumyork Ol Two Flags Supporter

Oddometer:

Having ridden the 500exc and a 350 xc-f I'd go with the 501. The bigger bike was easier to hold on to and made power a lot lower in the rpms. They are both excellent bikes but I think the 500/501 is the clear winner especially with the price and weight difference between them and there little brothers.

I may ride a little fast and someday it may catch up and bite me in the ass but maybe not if I give it just a little more gas.
  16. Allucaneat

Allucaneat When do we stop to eat? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just saw the new FE350S and FE501S at my local dealer this morning. If I hadn't recently bought a new 500EXC, I'd probably have walked out with the 501. Man, they're good looking bikes!
  17. Dudsamoto

Oddometer:
    I could have had a 500EXC a month ago, but I chose to wait for the Husky for a few reasons...

1. It's not Orange! (kinda kidding) Our District 37 Dual Sports look like a KTM rally these days.

2. I have always... (Well, since 1986 ) had a Linkage rear suspension and am used to it.

3.4CS Fork, I know a lot of people have mixed feelings about this fork, but I have friends who are pro level riders that have ridden extensively with both forks and all say the 4CS is the way to go.

4. It's different, it's.... WHITE! ( did I mention that already?)

Things that tempted me to just get the KTM:
    1. It's ORANGE! Really like that orange frame. My white '83 500CR Husky was white until the first Moto at Saddleback and it was stained So Cal Clay Brown ever after!:rofl

2. PDS rear shock: Lighter, simpler, easier to maintain. ( 5 min. shock removal)

3. Proven open chamber fork, lots of people like it and there is a lot of tuning info out there for it.

4. Proven Aluminum Subframe. Haven't heard any negatives about the Poly SF but if someone wants to put a rack,bags or a chainsaw back there, it might pose some problems. ( I don't plan on doing that with this bike)

Even though I'm an old guy that raced Husky's back in the day, it honestly did not have any bearing on my decision, while I have nostalgia for the old Husky's, it does not translate to any brand loyalty for me here. (I'm sure KTM is banking on that a little though.)

Now I just need o get the thing and Ride!
  18. Dudsamoto

Oddometer:
    :rilla:rilla:clap:clap

Just came home...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Better looking in real life, if thats possible. ( been staring at screensaver picture for two months)
  19. Bikenstitches

Oddometer:
    350s too :D-
    [​IMG]
  20. trailrider383

trailrider383 867-5309

Oddometer:
    They look good! :thumbup They would look better with some dirt on them. :D