1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Husqvarna FE501S & FE350S

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by trailrider383, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Dudsamoto

Dudsamoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sheesh! I've only had the thing for 15 hours! Gimme a chance! :rofl:rofl

(I did ride around the neighborhood last night, alas, no dirt here in HB)
  2. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    I'm sure you are going to like that new bike...

Did the "S" version come geared with a 15/45 combo? Also what tires came on the bike?
  3. Dudsamoto

Oddometer:
    Yes, Geared 15/45. Tires are Michelin Enduro Competition DOT, never rode on them so we'll see how they do. I have a Trials tire and ultra heavy duty tubes ready to go. One cool thing that the bike did NOT come with is the stupid "suicide" auto retracting side stand that most Euro bikes come with. One less thing to do!
  4. mknj671

mknj671 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks really good, love white bikes when they are new and the blue offset color makes it stand out. Had a white 07 Yami yz250F when I was riding motocross but they just look hammered even after cleaning them constantly.

Post up your first ride report, would love to hear how it feels compared to the KTM 500 if you have ever tried one.
  5. Bikenstitches

Bikenstitches Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Funny, the 350 does have the auto retracting side stand, and it is a pain in the butt
  6. Dudsamoto

Oddometer:
    I'll have to ask my dealer if he deactivated the sidestand, I'm sure dealers hate those things. Noob comes in and lift the Bike off the stand then lets go and walks away...:fpalm
  7. EB1156

EB1156 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I picked up my FE 501 S on black Friday. It did come with the auto retracting side stand, either from the factory or dealer setup. But it also came with the bolt to deactivate it. That was the first mod. Then fork bleeders and Ram mount. 15/45 gearing is WAY too high! Definitely need to change that.
    WVRIDGERIDER01 likes this.
  8. Dudsamoto

Oddometer:
    Think I'll do 14/48. Then gotta look at suspension, I am a "little" over the 180lb. the bike is sprung for.
  9. alvincullumyork

alvincullumyork Ol Two Flags Supporter

Oddometer:

I almost did that. Are there any other bikes that do that?

I may ride a little fast and someday it may catch up and bite me in the ass but maybe not if I give it just a little more gas.
  10. Dudsamoto

Oddometer:
    I think Ducati's are that way. I know all the Italian Husky's were that way.
    Ah, yes, Bureaucrats protecting us from our selves.
  11. CafeRacer

CafeRacer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Super curious to hear of things like Fastway pegs for the KTMs bolt right on.

I'm 6'3" and deciding between the FE and a EXCF.
  12. Dudsamoto

Oddometer:
    OK got this thing dirty finally.....
    [​IMG]

I will get a ride report and some of the setup stuff I've done (with pics) when I get a chance.
  13. timeOday

timeOday Long timer

Oddometer:
    Huh, I am really interested in the Husky poly subframe, since it seems to me that aluminium is bound to fracture eventually and maybe the plastic would not?

I am really interested in the subframe issue because I am gradually moving down from larger bikes and would like to keep the ability to carry enough of a rack for a rotopax, jacket, and lunch at least.

Now, who would like to sacrifice their subframe as a service to the community in a torture test :)

I sure like the looks of the Husky. The KTM styling is a little more frenetic than I'd like.
  14. Dudsamoto

Oddometer:
    I have broken and bent my share of aluminum subframes. From what I hear the poly flexes and springs back...sounds right anyway. My dealer told me he sold boatloads of Husabergs with the poly SF and never had one complaint or problem. In fact he told me he has never heard of anyone purchasing a replacement subframe, ever. I am sure the same can't be said for the Aluminum KTM SF. I was worried about my weight 250# :wink:
    But it seems to hold me up quite well with no detectable flexing.
    We will see..........
  15. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    The subframe actually consists of three components fastened together. It is not just a "one piece" unit.
  16. bajarunner

bajarunner Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've got about 200-ish miles on a 15' 501 (5.5 hours). Have a KTM350xcf with about 75 hours and honestly with the linkage on the 501 - they feel very similar. (Which is a GREAT feeling). I have ridden the 501 and a 500 back to back and there is a big difference in handling. The 500 feels tall but the 501 feels like it slots into turns and such better.

Took the 501S and a 450X for about 100 shake down in the Santa Cruz mtns and enjoy'ed some of that rare CA rain.

14/52, xring, flex pegs, rubber SXS bar mounts, hard parts radiator guards, TPS set to .68, FE tail assembly with flush blinkers, FMF 4.1 carbon, double take mirror, Garmin 62s...

She's a RIPPER for sure. Looking forward to some south of the border time as well as some Sierr's action.

Attached Files:

17. Dudsamoto

Oddometer:
    Took the bike up from Lake Silverwood around Arrowhead and back, about 90 miles total. For those not familiar, think rocky steep singletrack with fire roads and forest two track also. Here's what I came away with:
    Love the motor, pulls with that electric smoothness just like my 510 in the low and mid, but unlike the 510 has a nice hit and sorta "comes on the pipe" and revs better than the 510. NICE!
    Suspension, well, I knew going in it wasn't going to be right, I weigh like 250 so I was riding way down in the stroke, bike felt really harsh, like I had 50 pounds of air in the tires, I am sure this was part of the reason.
    I got comfortable on the bike real quick, ( a good sign) and was able to keep the pace even with the setup not being ideal.
    Overall a good first ride, I know what I need to do to set up a bike for me and I have just begun!
    [​IMG]

Some of the mods so far:
    Gearing: I was going to go 14/48 but got talked into 14/50 by my dealer. For what I did the other day it was perfect but I think the bike would pull the 14/48 just fine. I cut the new chain so the axle is all the way back and will see ifI can get a 15 C/S on there for more open terrain.
    Ooooooo....
    [​IMG]
    Tall seat from seat concepts, at 6,4" it's mandatory, plus way more comfortable than the "Vinyl Crucifix" that comes stock.
    [​IMG]
    12 degree moto tall flexx bars, I got the first pair free and now I'm hooked.
    I have heard of folks losing skid plates so this was my solution
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Zip tie goes around aluminum mount and also secures Dzus fastener.
    alright, dinner time more to follow.....
  18. Dudsamoto

Oddometer:
    Ok I'm back.. Merry Christmas all!

Worked a little yesterday to clean up the blinkers
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think it came out pretty clean. I still have to wire up a couple diodes to get rid of the 4 way flasher deal, so I removed the indicator bulb as a temporary fix.
  19. Dudsamoto

Oddometer:
    Here is the back end after I removed the stock fender/tail light assembly.
    [​IMG]
  20. Dudsamoto

Oddometer:
    License plate came in the mail. I used a "Husky" products plastic mount plate and my preferred method of Aluminum Pop Rivets. They are light,strong and anybody with a screwdriver can't swipe your plate.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I was having trouble with my double take mirror's unscrewing the Ram Ball mounts even though I used lock-tite and snugged them up using a Ram arm as a wrench. I was driven to distraction the whole ride turning these things back in. So, when I got home I solved the problem permanently: JB Weld! If I ever change the setup I just buy new threaded top clamps or go back with the stockers.

The other thing that needs to be addressed along with suspension is the overheating, this thing boiled the whole time, fan running constantly. The trails were tight and slow but it was 50 degrees out. Come summer and this will not be good. I will look into mapping and a less restrictive muffler.