1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Husqvarna FE501S & FE350S

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by trailrider383, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    yes.. that is not going to get you very far..

At least the Acerbis tanks designed for the KTM will work without too much
    of a work around. A plus is that they are relatively inexpensive in comparison
    to some other oversize tanks and they are styled to look fairly attractive.
  2. Dudsamoto

Dudsamoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was hoping for an OEM quality fit/finish tank of just maybe 3 gals or so...
    Just enough for a comfortable 120-150 mile range. This bike will not see the big extended off road trips, as I have a TE610 with a Safari 6.6 for that.
    It's funny, when I think about it, I don't know that I've ever been able to run a "stock" gas tank! From the skinny/fat Vesco's of the 70's on up. An entire industry has been spawned to address this issue.
    Seems the Japanese and Europeans just don't get how vast some places in the western U.S. and Baja (or Australia) can be.

[​IMG]
  3. OlDirt58

OlDirt58 Pucker bush dodger

Oddometer:
    Subscribed:lurk:lurk Recent loss of a bike has me looking. Leary of these being a first year, but very interested. Very surprised there's so few sharing info. Are the 501's that hard to find right now? Are the dealers making deals or sticking to full price. Does anyone know whether or not we can flash a better map? In so cal, so desert riding and all that goes with it. Thanks to the pioneers sorting these out. :clap
  4. Dudsamoto

Oddometer:
    Old Dirt..Any man that knows what a Pucker Bush is, shares a common bond!

Here is what I have learned so far, I would not buy a "first year" bike either.
    I don't see these Husky's as that due to the fact that the frame/subframe was used on Husabergs for several years without issue, and the engine,well, it's a KTM 500EXC! been around for what, three years now?. I have not heard of any major design flaws with this power train.
    Yes, the Husky's are scarce, I had a deposit down on mine, my dealer got 4 and all were spoken for.
    I paid msrp, but no shipping or setup fees. ( pretty hard to hammer them on price when there is a waiting list)
    Yes ,you can flash to a better map. I think we should not be talking about this too much though, as it's only a matter of time before CARB outlaws these "dirt bike with a plate" vehicles. Just do what you need to do without fanfare.
    One of the things I liked about the Husky was the linkage, I think for fast Desert sandy whoops, they track better, but just my opinion, PDS seems to works fine. ( It's the Indian, not the Arrow... right?)
    I too am surprised at the lack of participation in this thread, it gets pushed down to page three every day! Hell, the CCM 450 Adventure bike thread has more participants! Hopefully the bikes will start showing up in greater numbers.
    I will post on what I find from my remapping and exhaust change after I get it out for a ride. Desert should have epic conditions this weekend, I think it is snowing in Victorville right now!
  5. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:

I would like to know how the re-flash goes and if you are able to obtain the Euro mapping or whether the dealer just adjusts the TPS setting in an attempt to richen the fuel metering.

I was able to have the Euro map flashed on my 2014 (non S version) but was told and have read that the dealers are restricted and monitored by KTM for an alternation in mapping both with the "S" version and the KTM500 EXC (street legal) version.

Friends that own the 500 EXC and 500 XCW were unable to have the Euro map loaded on their bikes by the local dealer where I live.

Does Husky have the three position ignition mode selector available for the 501 "S"? From my understanding, if the ECU is not Euro flashed then this ignition mode selector will not function.
  6. OlDirt58

OlDirt58 Pucker bush dodger

Oddometer:
    The fact that these mirror KTM and Husaberg is the appeal. I too think the LINK suspension will work better in the deserts, AND it's not ORANGE. My hopes are that KTM will not slight these in favor of their orange flagships. So, once the holidays are packed up, I will be on the hunt, for now I just keep gathering intell. Dudsamoto, you are very close, I am just a few miles north of you. I may message you for a good visual of the bike if I can't get close enough to put finger prints on one. What are your impressions of the 4CS forks out of the box? AND YES, the desert should be epic after the rain and snow, always fun !!!
  7. Dudsamoto

Oddometer:
    OK reflash is done, FMF 4.1 slip on w/94 db spark arrestor insert. Just up and down the block my impression is that bike does have a little more power, but not a huge change.
    My interest in having it done was heat, my boiled very easily and the fan ran constantly. For me controlling the heat in an engine is key to long life and reliability.
    My impression is that the bike is now "jetted" right. It fires instantly, pulls clean all the way through, no popping or backfiring on decel.
    (I removed the air valve)
    I will not post here where or how I did the reflash, if you do some online research you can figure it out. California dealers are not allowed to do it, but it is not "Locked".

My first impression of the 4CS was that it is a little harsh, but without the proper springs, I am not really able to give them a fair shake.
    I will be taking them to Ty davis to do an change oil and springs and do his 4CS mod.
    I expect it will be good to go, but I can play with clickers from there.
  8. guns_equal_freedom

guns_equal_freedom Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you did the reflash then you should get a JD Tuner and an ignition switch (if they make it for the Husky).
  9. Dudsamoto

Oddometer:
    You know, I'll have to ride it a little with the euro map and see how it does. It sure feels nice just running around the block.
    What will the JD tuner do for me? I certainly don't need more power:eek1
    I have never had a bike where I could change the map, I can't say I've ever thought - "Man, If only I could alter the power right here"
    Maybe one of those things you don't know you need until you have it.

Not trying to be a dick about the reflash, don't want to hang any body out or draw attention to something that Husky and KTM ( and CARB) frown upon.
    Best we keep this stuff on the down low.

(Don't hate the playa, hate the game!:rofl)
  10. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    This is the ignition switch that I mentioned above and wondered if
    it would be compatible with the 501S flashed to EURO mapping. Sounds
    like your owners manual would elaborate on it.

I know it works with the 14 501.

HUSKY POWER
    IGNITION CURVE SWITCH
    Article no.: 51539974100

Ignition curve adjustment made easy! With this switch, you can change the ignition curve conveniently from the handlebar on models featuring a digital box with pre-programmed ignition curves. (whether or not your Husqvarna has pre-programmed ignition curves can be found in the motorcycle owner's manual).

http://shop.husqvarna-motorcycles.c...ruments-electric/ignition-curve-switch-1.html

11. Dudsamoto

Oddometer:
    Hmmmm, sounds interesting, I'll have to ask around and see if it is possible on the S model. My guess would be yes, as I can't imagine they changed the whole ECU just for that bike.
    Still wondering if it is something I would use that often. options are always nice to have though.
    Takin her out tomorrow to see how the mapping change works. Hopefully runs cooler.
  12. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure, but I believe the mild setting might retard the ignition enough to allow minimal sub-standard octane use if the need arose. That was my primary reason for considering it. Also the "wild" setting could provide a bit more excitement for those in need of some arm strength testing.

13. guns_equal_freedom

guns_equal_freedom Long timer

Oddometer:
    The first bike that I owned that had an ignition switch was my 2010 KTM 530.
    Two position switch, it was easier than pulling the seat and disconnecting the "wheelie wire" for the power map.

It actually worked quite well, the soft setting was perfect when I was riding in wet, sloppy slippery conditions while the power setting was great for open country riding or on the road.

The second bike was my 2011 300 XCW.
    When I first got the bike I used the switch until I started playing with the power valve springs and the power valve carriage.
    After I replaced the stock pipe with an FMF Gnarly and a Moto4 reed cage I left the red needle in and cranked the carriage out and left the "wheelie wire" unplugged (power mode).

Neither of those switches affected the fueling (carbureted bikes).

With my 2013 XCW (street legal - score one for Washington) I was having serious flame-out issues.

I turned up the idle, it helped.

My dealer took it in and played with the o2 sensor settings (they can do that via the factory tuner) and it helped a little bit.

I never played with the throttle position sensor even though I bought the Suzuki pigtail connector.

Then I had him reflash the black box with the Euro map.

That ended all but the most serious "whack the throttle WFO at idle speeds flame out" situations.

I don't have a clutch, I use a Rekluse and I use the clutch lever for my rear brake, so I can't grab a little clutch to bring the revs up.

So I got the JD tuner.

The JD tuner is for fuel delivery only, it will not affect the ignition settings.

It's just like a jet kit.

I don't know if you ever played with a Dyno-Jet (or JD) jet kit before, it's the same thing except electronic.

There are 6 settings you can adjust, you adjust them to suit your riding style.

http://www.jdjetting.com/xcart/product.php?productid=189&cat=23&page=1

http://www.jdjetting.com/xcart/pages.php?pageid=2#demo

On my bike I had to richen up the accelerator pump circuit and lean out the idle and low end and I richened up the top end (only because I installed an FMF Megabomb pipe and a Factory 4.1 RCT can (with the quiet insert).

Now my bike does not stall, even if I whack the throttle open from idle.

I also bought the three position ignition switch from JD and yes, you can feel the difference between the maps.

The only thing I don't like about the switch is that unlike the 530 and 300 you have to shut off the bike in order for the map switching to take place.

I mostly ride in wet rocky rooty infested areas and I have gotten used to the "wild" setting, although if there are hill climbs I'll switch it to the mild setting.

It really gives you the opportunity to fine tune the bike to your needs.

Here is where I have the tuner mounted.
    [​IMG]

Ignition map switch
    [​IMG]

Megabomb and missing brake lever.
    [​IMG]

Plated!
    [​IMG]
  14. Dudsamoto

Oddometer:
    Wow, You worked hard to get that thing "right".
    Sounds about like what I did with the TE510. A JD jet kit and lots of fooling around, and I had it really crisp and strong, never a flame out or backfire. Hopefully this new bike will be easier. It actually ran really well on it's first off road outing, just overheated and you could tell it was lean.
    The thing I notice most with the Euro map installed is it starts instantly, no throttle needed.
    Before, you had to give it a little throttle and let it crank over a few times,
    sometimes it would cough and die until it warmed up.

OK, truck is loaded, off to play in the melted snow tomorrow. :clap
  15. Taurkon

Taurkon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ready to pull the trigger and throw down cash tomorrow. Not that it will change my mind, but what is the range on the stock tank?

Cheers!
  16. Dudsamoto

Oddometer:
    Small sample, but on first ride went 47 miles of mixed riding and put 1.1 gallons in. Right now, I would be comfortable with planning maybe 70-80 miles between gas.
    Gives some margin for error.
    I will track it tomorrow with the new map and see if it changes any.

IMO a dual sport bike should come from the factory with at least a 100 mi. range.
  17. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    Stock tank is near 2.5 gls You should not have a problem with 100 mile range.

With the Euro mapping I would get 40-45 mpg when INTO the throttle in sandy high speed riding. Easy dual sporting on hard pack will easily turn 50 - 55 mpg. This ia at 850' elevation. Mountain riding at higher elevation should be better.

With my 4.1 gallon tank I've got 200 miles at low fuel light on e ride.
  18. Dusty54

Dusty54 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey Guys I just joined this I am not very good with computers however I just wanted to give you guys some imput on my new 2015 Husqvarna FE350s I bought the bike on 12-13-14 i have put aprox 3.5 hours on bike around 68 miles thats an avg of 19mph aprox. I live in the foothills of North Caroline and we have allot of forest roads and real tight single track riding. I have regeared bike to 13 front 52 rear i did have to get a longer chain, Its nice i can stay in 2nd gear in the real nasty stuff, also i removed all of the smog stuff etc, i used factory ktm plugs to plug hole above header and hole in the side of intake, i also rerouted my breather hose that went from top of the valve cover into air box i plugged air box hole and ran longer breather hose down to linkage on swingarm, you can buy a block off kit from blaise racing for a ktm 350 exc-f it works excellent and is spot on and comes with everything you need. the bike is amazing off road however it is geared a little low for allot of highway riding, also factory silencer has had the stock restrictive end screens punched out to allow flow to be the same as the stock fe350 silencer on those bikes, i have remapped the bike with the EU map the bike runs too lean stock, the computers are not locked on these bikes, i have installed husqvarna fuel sock, also the bike is now at the shop right now gettin revalved suspension, new handle bars, new grips and the new phds system, I am 6'3" 175 lbs i do not think i am going to change foot pegs or put a tall seat on bike as i see most of the pro riders my size are running factory seats with factory pegs. bike is also gettin fmf mega bomb and 4.1 husqvarna factory silencer. I wanted a full blown woods race bike with a tag so thats what I am shooting for. the factory skid plate is awesome and i also have a set of moose pro contour bark busters they work great, and i have took the factory mirrors off and put one double take down mirror on the left side. hoping to get an aftermarket low profile tag bracket and get rid of that stock thing i hope that i could be a help to someone out here thats what we are here for to help one another may GOD bless you
    <!-- / message -->
  19. DWK2

DWK2 Fled California

Oddometer:
    Thanks Dusty, and welcome!

I just sat on "my" 501 this afternoon. Unfortunately, the dealer still has title.... :)

Dave
  20. Dudsamoto

Oddometer:
    Got out yesterday for a short ride, conditions were EPIC! Light snow still on the trails, temps in the low 50's. and sunny.
    I have a Single track mind!

[​IMG]

First ride on the euro map and FMF 4.1 w/ 94db spark arrestor insert.
    The bike did run cooler, still had the fan going at times, but no boiling and the fan would shut off sooner when I stopped.
    I did have the bike die a couple times when idling, (like while braking on a steep downhill) I gave the idle speed knob a few clicks up and seemed to cure it.
    I said before that the bike did not seem that much faster after the remap, I can tell you now ...It is! It just seems stronger all the way through the power band.
    I can't imagine anyone needing more power.
    I won't ride the bike again though until the suspension is set up for my weight, lots of front end knifing and harshness, and the rear is bottoming.

I can't wait to get this thing dialed and fully broken in and really let 'er rip!