Husqvarna Norden 901

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by el Pete, Oct 29, 2019.

1. kubcat

kubcat Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    KTM is not showing at IMS, as I understand. This bike will NOT come with 19/17. It will be 21/18. Guaranteed.
  2. DesertSurfer

DesertSurfer Tail sprayin

Oddometer:
    Basically KTM made a concerted effort to reduced the weight off the front end of the SE, and they changed the head to less rake. Tighter turning. And a shorter swing arm.

The main reason the SE’s didn’t sell is they weren’t marketed to the dealers or the public. They just showed up. There are lots of rumors about the SE project. A KTM chest puff against the BMW HP2 for the win at Erzberg? An initial request by Meoni for his upcoming Dakar’s? Sadly the SE’s corporate enthusiasm fading like Sainct, Meoni and Caldecott.

The 790 does pick up where the SE leaves off, with more direct marketability. This is the bike the KTM enthusiast has been begging for for many years. The real question now is if they will put their money where their mouth is. And where the 790 is more like a modern SE, the Norden 801 is more a modern Adv 9xx.
    WallyWhirled and braaap! like this.
  3. NHktmRider

NHktmRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Might be a Northeast thing, when using a tape measure and you want something just a Hair longer or shorter. Now put your mind in the gutter and you can guess what the “C” is. Hint it’s curly, but curly isn’t the answer.
    Sidehil likes this.
  4. Salzig

Salzig Long timer

Oddometer:
    Damn, my english is too bad to play with words.
    I just went by analogy with the fact that here in Italy we use to curse a lot when something goes wrong. I know I do :D
    Sfcootz and kzeb like this.
  5. Sfcootz

Sfcootz fap:hoon Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I end up riding at night for... reasons. :lol3

I definitely appreciate the light output of the 790.

:stupid

if this bike has a similar seat height to my 790s and low cog i’d be interested. For those of us who AREN’T burly adventurers (other than in our own minds) what’s nice is a physically small bike that is versatile AF with some power to it.

I don’t care too much what a bike looks like because I can’t see it when I’m riding it. Like my old v-stroms.

(ps I want this bike to come equipped with Swedish chef voice navigation as an option)
  6. Nelso

Nelso All the gear-no idea

Oddometer:
    So what direction wold you take when he says "Beesh de boosh de borsht"?
    Sfcootz and Schussboelie like this.
  7. tshansen

tshansen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Salzig, empedrado, conrado and 4 others like this.
  8. conrado

conrado Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    tshansen likes this.
  9. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    If you stripped down a 901 would be behave as well as a 790 in the woods, or at least ripping back roads in grabbel, sand and dirt? Or is it be left to the 'street segment' as they have labelled it?

Something about it that seems bulky that I can't seem to get my head around . . it's like looking at a street glide. Uggh
  10. Salzig

Salzig Long timer

Oddometer:
  11. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    I see an anvil hanging from that ceiling :photog
    kzeb likes this.
  12. YOGOI

YOGOI Prick

Oddometer:
    The only real difference in handling that I can see is that the KTM allows you to get your weight up over the front wheel easily. Look at the difference in seat and tank design; also, you can look at where the pegs line up to the seat using a vertical line (if that makes sense). Maybe there will be some geometry changes. That usually happens with triple clamp off sets; which the aftermarket will have covered for those who want a more aggressive setup.
  13. wpbarlow

wpbarlow Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    So if it's a "street segment" bike--- give it a 19/17 wheel setup!
  14. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It does have a bit chunkier look to it but I suspect that's more the change in style and ergos than additional mass. Though it does strike me as a more road biased machine overall. As for it being in the "street segment", everything outside of Enduro and MX bikes falls into KTMs "Street Segment", even the KTM 690 Enduro, and 790. I imagine Husky is simply conforming to that standard. They are street bikes after all.
    Salzig and Dualsport4ever like this.
  15. Dualsport4ever

Dualsport4ever Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm sure many in the KTM camp will find that statement blasphemy, but it is accurate.
  16. kvango

kvango Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, the 901 has a lower seat. Curious if it is the same frame and fuel tank. If you lose the scaffolding (disk protectors, brush guards, etc) weight should be close . . .
    The 901 fairing surrounds the forks, while the 790 just has the 'breakaway" wings. Here's a few shots from roughly the same angle.
    ktm-12-03b.png
    ktm-12-03a.png

ktm-12-03.png

Obviously not a bolt on with the plastic coming of the 901 tank. But an orange and lime combo would rock . . .:photog

CaseyB, Cereal KLR and trapperj like this.
  17. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    I still don't 'fully' appreciate why Rade couldn't find a reasonable way to fashion a fairing from the side plastics on the 790 to the windscreen. That might look nice.
  18. Dualsport4ever

Dualsport4ever Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, with production confirmed, I may have to start making room in the stable for this new stud (or is it cow?:lol3)
  19. Orfeas

Orfeas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Patience, Aurora Rally will do that soon!
    640 Armageddon and TrailTrauma like this.
  20. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    And it will be polycarbonate, the material that all screens should be made of... :)
    640 Armageddon and TrailTrauma like this.