Husqvarna Norden 901

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by el Pete, Oct 29, 2019.

1. conrado

conrado Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Seems that there are plenty 790 owners already claiming that their bike is much better and intended for the “real adventurer” ...
  2. DRglidarn

DRglidarn Panzer pilot

Oddometer:
    The segment could be defined as adv bikes at 850-1000cc's” or 115hp-ish? Could we guess it weigh in at 198Kg's dry as it looks without luggage ofc?
  3. DRglidarn

DRglidarn Panzer pilot

Oddometer:
    I think the Norden looks like a real adventurer among all other bikes that are actually ridden today on adventures, seems somewhat wierd to see it in another way. Preference and situation will affect the choise though.
  4. Requiem84

Requiem84 Riding around the world @gravelforbreakfast.com

Oddometer:
    790 is quoted at 189 dry.

10kg extra for the Husky?
  5. Gaulin

Gaulin Orange (& Blue) Crush

Oddometer:
    The engine itself shouldn't be an increase, but they might beef up chassis components to handle the extra torque. Also need to consider fuel economy will (should ?) be a little worse, which for those traveling in remote areas may mean carrying extra fuel, so a weight gain in that aspect.
  6. scudrunner82

scudrunner82 combustion addict

Oddometer:
    Aside from the (removable) crash bars I don’t see anything that would add weight over the 790. The engine should theoretically be lighter with the over bore than a 790 all else the same. It’s like a modernized looking 990. Absolutely beautiful.
    natedog39 likes this.
  7. DRglidarn

DRglidarn Panzer pilot

Oddometer:
    Just a guess if crashbars, lights are standard. Some for the larger plastics. If it's only the plastics and and no other beef up, it could be less. 190-195 Kg's would be nice.
    tshansen likes this.
  8. kubcat

kubcat Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    hey @scudrunner82 good to see a post from you. I have been enjoying your 350 EXC immensely. I adventurized it with a bigger tank, windscreen, heated grips and some saddle bags and took it camping on the MABDR last spring. I blame (credit?) you with infecting me with orange juice! Shortly after that I upgraded to the 790ADV R. I still like the lightweight 350, but, like you, its getting less love now that I have the 790 next to it in the garage. I do like the idea of those extra ponies and torque of the 890 over the 790 though. Even so, I am still holding out hope that there will be sightings of the mythical unicorn 490 twin Adventure R with the 790 R suspension bits all under 370# wet.
    natedog39 and scudrunner82 like this.
  9. scudrunner82

Oddometer:
    Awesome! Glad you're enjoying the bike. I had dirt bike withdrawals after sold you the 350 and bought a TE300i 2 weeks later :rofl
    Been riding that quite a bit.

I think for me, a 690/701 would be the ideal lightweight ADV bike. But that Norden would be a tempting replacement for my 1190r if they can squeeze some extra juice out of it.
    kubcat likes this.
  10. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The 901 seems like a smart play to me for Husky...

Will be interesting how the specs turn out..

I sold my 1190 for a 1290 and was disappointed with the power band of the 1290... the 1190 revs faster....

Hope the 901 is just a trq monster..

The 790 weighs in at 465ish lbs...the 901 as pictured will be tickling 500....

I think some of us would like to see a Husky 901 enduro...ohhhh yeah

Until then dont be too shy of the 790 power.. with a little massage she still has the goods for 3rd gear fun... IMG_0881.jpg
    natedog39, Rollin', kzeb and 6 others like this.
  11. scudrunner82

Oddometer:
    I agree the 901 is a brilliant play. And the timing will be perfect to make KTM the most money. For people who were hoping for a bit more power, and not overly fond of the 790 aesthetics...

I’m in a different camp in what to hope for in the motor. Whatever the 901 makes for torque will be plenty, especially off road. I want shreaking maximum top end horsepower. To me that’s where the fun is.
    How did you hear the 901 was 35 pounds more than a 790?
    Nowwhat likes this.
  12. Nowwhat

Oddometer:
    What is your guess on weight gain?

Those upper plastics are lined in the pics like the 1x90 bikes...plus the extra lights brackets and wiring and then 2 sets of crash bars and associated hardware...I pulled the crash bars off my 1190 holy hell they were heavy suckers...

plastics plus hardware and supports....10-12lbs?
    Crash bars....16-18? 4 of them....
    lights....3-5lbs?
    Front brake covers....tank bag mount...2-3lbs....

Again just from the pictures....hell the 901 doesn't have passenger pegs so that is 5 lbs lighter hahahaa.....

I am overly sensitive to lbs as I am still trying to pull weight from my 790....sooo close to sub 400 no fuel....
    E-luke and scudrunner82 like this.
  13. scudrunner82

Oddometer:
    My guess is the weight gain will be whatever the crash bars weigh plus a few pounds. It has a little more plastic than a 790, but the 790 has plastic too. You can always just unbolt the crash bars/lights/brake covers etc if you want.

In the end it will still be an overweight twin cylinder ADV bike. No getting around it. A 690/701 is the ideal lightweight ADV and has been around forever. The unicorn already exists. I just don't have much use for a 690, whatever I don't want to ride on my 1190R, I just take my 300.
  14. YOGOI

YOGOI Prick

Oddometer:
    Nah, strip her down with the same care you gave to yours, and I’d guess the 901 comes in 5 pounds over your 790.
  15. Nowwhat

Oddometer:
    Hahaha....5 lbs....I can't live with that......
  16. kubcat

kubcat Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Keto for a month - - - good to go.
  17. Nowwhat

Oddometer:
    I wish bike weight and rider weight were interchangeable....
    kubcat likes this.
  18. HoreZ

HoreZ The Kid

Oddometer:
  19. DRglidarn

DRglidarn Panzer pilot

Oddometer:
    Ohh, I see a nice GOM sensor on the photo. Some modellling and reverse engineering going on?
  20. Requiem84

Requiem84 Riding around the world @gravelforbreakfast.com

Oddometer:
    I think the instagram photo said they were doing 3d scanning of the model