Husqvarna Norden 901

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by el Pete, Oct 29, 2019.

1. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I understand. I've stated many times that the 790 has a face only a mother could love. LOL.

The tank sits noticeably higher in relation to the top triple clamp than the 790, though a part of that is the plastics covering the tank itself. It's definitely a completely different tank. I do like that it appears to be a bit slimmer down low. I didn't have a good side shot of the 790 standard to compare but the seat on the 901 appears to be much more scalloped as well. Perhaps the 790S is similar. It's only at the concept stage so hard to know what changes may take place between now and a production model though.
    901.jpg 20190604_082834-1.jpg

Kidding aside about being "softer", I have little doubt it will be a great bike. I've ridden a few Huskys and their KTM counter parts and always felt that Husky does a nice job with their products.
  2. MattF44

MattF44 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Funny how we all just want the same thing — a production ready rally bike — and none of the manufacturers can actually figure that out.

It’s been said a thousand times and for whatever reason, the guys in Austria just don’t trust us or don’t care to listen.

If KTM built a fleet of rally inspired 690s, 901s, and 1200s, they would kill it even more than they are now. I honestly don’t get that they don’t get it.

Looking at this thread, it seems that those who love this bike can see something somewhat like a heavy weight rally bike somewhere in there if they squint — those who don’t see this don’t love it. Fair enough.

But, if they just listened, we’d be falling over one another to get in line.
    ssandijss, Jaimoto and AdamChandler like this.
  3. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:

A lot of folks say they want those, but at the price they would be, won’t buy them.
  4. MattF44

MattF44 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Of course you’re right in the most literal of senses, but is a rally fairing on a stock bike that much more expensive? $20 once all the toolng is done give or take? While I didn’t specify that i was talking about aesthetics , I think that’s the core of it. Give us the bikes we currently have and just model them after those that are “ready to race.” Can’t be more on-brand than that. Right, Simon????
    Norman Foley likes this.
  5. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    So, we’re talking about styling? I’m not a big fan of the ‘insect’ front end either.
    I like the new Husky.
  6. 996DL

996DL Buell me

Oddometer:
    Absolutely fucking brilliant Husqvarna ! :raabia

They knocked this one out of the ballpark, especially compared to the dismal styling and near useless practicality, of the Vitpilen / Svartpilen thumpers.

996DL
  7. Requiem84

Requiem84 Riding around the world @gravelforbreakfast.com

Oddometer:

We always forget that this forum is an incredibly small minority of the total motor buyers market.

what you read here and who is actually in the dealer to buy will likely be 90% different.

all big OEM’s have well paid marketing departments who do a thorough analysis about what potential buyers are looking for. It’s not that they don’t listen to ‘us’, it’s that our voice is way too small! :)
  8. Roadhawg011

Roadhawg011 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think this will be my next bike if it actually comes to existence.

I love the look of it.
    WallyWhirled likes this.
  9. roookie1

roookie1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It looks way more ready for production than the 790 Adv when it was presented for the first time... Husky, just get to it...NOW...
    Salzig likes this.
  10. spartanman

spartanman regret minimizer

Oddometer:
    I think you underestimate the sway dedicated forums have on design decisions. Marketing teams no doubt watch them to get the latest vibe. They also assemble teams of “us’s” to steer the design. If you squint at the 901 you can see the 990 Adventure, which, incidentally, many on this site still love and mourn the loss of. Coincidence? I think not.
    Sfcootz likes this.
  11. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just followed the hashtag.
    I really like the look of this pig.
    Chances of me giving up my well sorted 790 (by the time this materializes) for it are about 3-5%, but the aesthetics are a vast improvement over the ktm.
  12. johnno950

johnno950 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bike looks fantastic
  13. YOGOI

YOGOI Prick

Oddometer:
    upload_2019-11-10_9-1-32.jpeg

The two amber lights seem unneeded. Maybe I’ll get used to em. Are they turn signals? That would be kinda cool (no more floppy ears stick’n out the sides). I’ll be getting rid of the crash bars!
  14. Requiem84

Requiem84 Riding around the world @gravelforbreakfast.com

Oddometer:
    time to rewatch a beautiful mind :-).

If designers would watch this site, the 1200 GSA wouldn’t be made anymore. Funnily enough it’s one of the best selling bikes world wide.

Most adventure bikes sold will never see any dirt...
    Schussboelie likes this.
  15. Salzig

Salzig Long timer

Oddometer:
    They look a bit too powerful to be turn signals :D
    AFAIK per EU rules front lights must be white so either it's a filter for cold light LEDs or it will be clear on the production bike.
    100% agree on the crash bars.
  16. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    I think they're merely a mock up. Something which isn't intended to make it to production, but simply to illicit an emotional response that says 'ad.vennture'. Same sort of reason they had billet triples, and ? suspension, rally roadmap, and a catless rally inspired exhaust on the 790 when they were pimping it out, early on.

When and if the 901 comes to fruition, all the stuff we locked in as being pretty cool, will be tamed, watered down or deleted. You can't create buzz, in an ADV space by pimping out a boring old, utilitarian machine. *jazz handz*
    ramirin and CaseyB like this.
  17. Velociraptor

Velociraptor TrackBum Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I could do without all those crash bars and the extra running lights and the luggage and and and:) Last night I was cursing the KTM designers while I installed the cruise control switchgear, but the 790r is a perfect fit for my riding habits. A cool full rally type bike would be nice but too expensive. I still feel like KTM at least got sort of in the ball park with the 790r at a barely reasonable price point.
    Venturer and TrailTrauma like this.
  18. Salzig

Salzig Long timer

Oddometer:
    I went through my pictures but there isn't one showing it nicely, damn.
    Those lights are not an addon, they're part of the fairing.

But your're right. The show bike had the Xplore Pro suspension, I strongly doubt it will be standard equipment.
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  19. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    You mean the molding in the fairing I'm pointing to here? :D

Norden 901 light bump-outs.jpeg
    Salzig likes this.
  20. Salzig

Salzig Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your picture reminded me the awfulness of the handguards.
    But it's an easy fix.