Husqvarna Norden 901

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by gimpo, Nov 5, 2019.

1. Requiem84

Requiem84 Riding around the world @gravelforbreakfast.com

Oddometer:
    That Chinese production angle has been discussed to death, it’s very tedious.

imo the question should be: would you buy a bike that is designed by the Chinese?
    BobcatSig and Max Kool like this.
  2. Gestalt

Gestalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Design is one thing, building is another. I have worked and I am still working in China at least for a short time longer, take my word for it, if its made in China and it is a good one, you are lucky. Quality here is just a word nothing more, lip service. Materials, tolerances, finishes and treatments here are all the poorest quality that it is possible to get away with. At first much of it looks good, underneath however there is no longevity. If you believe different you are fooling yourself, take my words of warning or not.
    Meet@Trudys, Pipeman, Blakduk and 2 others like this.
  3. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    Like everything else, it depends. It depends what you buy, from whom, what sort of relationship you have with that manufacturer, etc. etc. Happens in a lot of cheap labor countries, but Chinese companies/factories often are a bit too eager to accept jobs they are not quite sure how they'll meet the requirements that come with them. I have worked for different companies that did business in China and did a lot of sourcing inspections for those companies.

Those that had a subsidiary there that was the actual manufacturer, the parts were indistinguishable from what we made in the US or anywhere else. Those that had a long term agreement with specific manufacturers (meaning, they were checked out and qualified before awarding work and had quality checks during the manufacturing process of different orders), also produced good products/parts. Those that came through a third party that was supposed to handle the qualification/inspection process often yielded hit or miss results - meaning in every shipment there was some percentage of parts that had to be scrapped.

What industry you are in and what type of parts you are buying will make a huge difference on your experience.

Gustavo
    BobcatSig likes this.
  4. appliance57

appliance57 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My apple computers seem quite robust. Manufacturers set their parameters and build to that level. That said, the Austrians seem to be fucking up so give the Chinese a shot.
    Meet@Trudys likes this.
  5. Gestalt

Gestalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Like I said take my word on it or not, after now 7 years in manufacturing I have a good feel for things. Solid state components are a little different as are a customer such as Apple, automotive components are quite different. And as for spare parts in future on Chinese bikes "not European that simply buy cheaper" Chinese components will be a problem in the future, again take my word on it or don't. Its cheap for a reason and its not all down to labor costs, everything is skimped upon.
    Blakduk and duggram like this.
  6. BobcatSig

BobcatSig They call me... Huckajawea

Oddometer:
    Mine too. And my iPhones. I'd wager that the lot of mobile phone we all use are also manufactured in China.

As stated earlier by @Gustavo; it all depends.
  7. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Simple Math

Oddometer:
    FFS...Can we PUHLEAZE get back to the bikes? :twitch
  8. Moodytico

Moodytico Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I happened to stop by the local Honda dealer today as I heard they aquired the Husky line. Sure enough they had about 8 or 9 bikes. I inquired about the Norden and he said they will start ordering bikes in June for 2021 models and they should have more info next month.
  9. RightChoice

RightChoice Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know what the displacements will be on the first batch of Nordens? I am interested in a twin cylinder 501 if it is coming any time soon.
  10. Moodytico

Moodytico Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rumor has it Husky will have several models in the Norden line but I have not heard when the smaller displacement versions will be released.
  11. RightChoice

Oddometer:
    Right on. Please keep us posted as to what you learn. I have one knowledgeable dealer that I talk to- she works at the local KTM/ BMW dealership (no Huskies). At the other dealers (the ones with Huskies), it is hit and miss with the salespeople.
  12. tpchuckles

tpchuckles Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    RightChoice likes this.
  13. RightChoice

Oddometer:
    I saw that too. Not sure if I can wait that long; I might pick up something cheap in the meantime just to hold me over until 2022/23 when these unicorns arrive.
  14. mototopo67

mototopo67 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  15. Catweazle

Catweazle n00b

Oddometer:
  16. PerGrus

PerGrus Offroad is not off topic

Oddometer:
    A German Husky-Dealer stated that the Norden 901 is planed for second half of 2021 ... husqvarna-norden-901-production.jpg
  17. Catweazle

Catweazle n00b

Oddometer:
    A ridiculously long lead-time for what is basically all pre-existing parts & technology. Bugger! That's inexcusable.
    MUDHWY likes this.
  18. jimbowho

jimbowho Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If its overflowing with electrostaticpulsingionwiregagitry I'm out. But if Husky keeps it simple, much like the T7
    Then I will be forced to swab up & bend over. I'm getting dated and this will be my last true love, Hopefully.
    That is truly sexy...
    Fearless Whetu and duggram like this.
  19. Gryphon12

Gryphon12 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Actually, Husky re-engineered the 690 Duke to get the 701 Vitpilen, and the 690 Enduro to get the 701 Enduro/LR & SM. They don't seem to be straight parts swaps, with different color paint and graphics. With Covid-19 in the mix, I think that KTM/Husqvarna, and even Aprilia, are doing quite well with their design and production schedules. Just my opinion.
    duggram likes this.
  20. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Simple Math

Oddometer:
    Needs a beak. :lol3

This is apparently the new trendy adv-touring look and now all the copycats come out.

Exactly like what happened to the GS's back in the day. :patch

BRING BACK THE BEAK!