Husqvarna Svartpilen 401/701

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by The Virginian, Jan 27, 2019.

Tags:
  1. TimCC

TimCC Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hard to say without sitting next to both flavors but I think your numbers may be a bit high. Grips are set back a few inches from the line of the forks and a little more than a hand width above the triples.

Attached Files:

tpchuckles likes this.
  2. tpchuckles

tpchuckles Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    went and did some Science™ and it's somewhat terrifying that the only thing "preventing" a destroyed clutch case on a left side slide is shifter/footpeg/kickstand. Also terrifying is that none of the (from what I can tell) sliders seem like they'd actually protect you there? similar story with the exhaust.
    I was also told by someone who claimed to be an expert that crash bars aren't recommended if you're clowning around in the woods, as they'll just catch on stuff. what do y'all think?
    IMG_20200322_180220.jpg IMG_20200322_180124.jpg

edit: here's what i ended up finding
  3. TimCC

TimCC Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    OOF, that sure looks like trouble. No wonder they sell those engine case sliders. Maybe they would be a better option than the crash bars if you are concerned with them catching trees.

Attached Files:

tac650 and tpchuckles like this.
  4. DGR

DGR G650X

Oddometer:
    Sounds spot on!
    tpchuckles likes this.
  5. Claytonroy

Claytonroy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have a set of US OEM taillights they'd be looking to part with? Feel free to PM me if so..

I have a Puig flyscreen and a Husky Style seat I'll be posting up on the FM this week.
  6. Claytonroy

Oddometer:
    Yesterday I took the initial shake down run after having made a few upgrades over the Winter. New Renthal bars, Husky headlight guard, shorter front signals and the Competition Werkes Collector/CAT delete midpipe. I also installed reworked & adjustable forks, and a Nitron rear shock (2 lb lighter than stock WP). The sprockets and chain were swapped to higher quality (obv still need to figure out a chain guard). The rear sprocket is a 46T Husky Stealth hybrid style - aluminum spider riveted to steel sprocket teeth. Overall I dropped at least 15lbs from the bike.

Even with the +1T taller gearing, the bike felt snappier! Let’s just say I certainly noticed the better flowing midpipe and 5% weight loss!!

( 73557570-CEB0-4048-B9AE-0DEC54F58F37.jpeg E1A19744-C20A-429A-974A-177A746F612D.jpeg
    TimCC, DGR, tac650 and 1 other person like this.
  7. tpchuckles

Oddometer:
    <3 that first photo. i see i'm not the only one who puts doggos in photos at every opportunity. :p
    407Guy and tac650 like this.
  8. GGSS

GGSS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You should have anticipated the snappier feel. More teeth in the rear sprocket = faster acceleration and lower top speed. Going +1 in the front will have the opposite effect.
    DGR and tac650 like this.
  9. Claytonroy

Oddometer:
    Well that’s a real :doh moment

My time with bicycles tainted my assumption (bigger sprocket = higher top end)

I’ll enjoy it for now, but thinking about adding a 44T rear sprocket to compare
    GGSS likes this.
  10. GGSS

GGSS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You could try +1 in the front and be in the same range as ~43-44 rear. Gear ratios are a can of worms, tire size also needs to be considered. I won’t try and go there for now
  11. SRG

SRG Long timer

Oddometer:
    Futz w/ the front one first, leave the rear alone. Fine tune w/ the rear (if you must, we are talking very small changes) after picking the front you like best.

Fronts are way less $$ too.
  12. Claytonroy

Oddometer:
    That’s a good call to +1T the front, as a high quality front sprocket is only $25 or so. A 16T should fit no problem.

Yes I’m aware tire size will affect the ratio. The options for this bike are limited (and most a higher aspect ratio than stock). So fender clearance will be an issue when we all wear out the stock Pirelli’s.

With that in mind, I set up the new chain with an extra link so the rear wheel sits farther back in the swing arm. When the stock tires wear out, I will spoon on a set of Continental TKC-80’s, which will definitely need more room. I had a pair on my old Honda NX-250, and they were fun - and also available in sizes that would fit the Svart 401.
    tac650 likes this.
  13. tac650

tac650 Broken...

Oddometer:
    I would really like to see the TKC-80's on the Svartpilen! I believe it would at least have the Mad Max vibe.
    tpchuckles likes this.
  14. tpchuckles

Oddometer:
    Quick question on brake fluid. I met a fella on friday on top of the mountain and he glanced at my rear brake fluid reservoir and kindly informed me i needed to change it. I believe he was under the impression i had been riding this bike since the fall, and as a newbie rider (who the hell knows what i do with my brakes), it might be reasonable for me to need to change it by now(?), but i was quite surprised. I had about 700 miles on it at the time, and this was not too long after i got it back from the shop for their post-run-in-inspection.

well, here's 3 photos of mine. from what i researched afterwards, it should be an "amber" color (beware, literal amber comes in a variety of colors, so that's not helpful. although we also wouldn't call a nice blonde ale an "amber" either). if it's hazy or brown that's bad. arguably, depending on the lighting, it's anywhere in between. so what gives? (i'm about to chock it up to "it's just the plastic and the angle of the light" but i guess i wanted an nth opinion).
    IMG_20200325_220302.jpg IMG_20200325_220312.jpg IMG_20200325_220346.jpg
  15. 2brnut2b

2brnut2b Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Svartpilen service schedule says to change brake fluid every 2 years, no mileage mentioned but certainly not every 700 miles. As long as you follow this recommendation, you should not have problem. Go by the book, not with John Doe :)
    tpchuckles and TimCC like this.
  16. tpchuckles

Oddometer:
    that's what i figured. thanks.
    700 miles seems insane and i saw the 2 years in the manual. granted, it's a '19 bike that i just bought and was sitting in a showroom for, oh wait, still not 2 years. but maybe a seal is broken or something and there's moisture getting in! AGHH!! EVERYBODY PANIC! YOUR NEW BABY MIGHT BE BEING DESTROYED!

whew. :p
  17. 2brnut2b

2brnut2b Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I took delivery of mine last tuesday, right in time after the Quebec Gouvernment decided to close all the shops except those essencial...took it home on its power (with a little 30km detour) and stored it in the garage...I'd like to ride but the government asks us to stay at home .... difficult huh!:(
  18. DGR

DGR G650X

Oddometer:
    Not mine, but it looks great indeed!
    tac650 likes this.
  19. tac650

tac650 Broken...

Oddometer:
    Great video!
  20. tac650

tac650 Broken...

Oddometer:
    These case guards are available for the KTM 390 and I'm pretty sure they will fit. R&G does show a 401 Svartpilen case guards as being available but no pictures are posted. I have used these before on other bikes and they work quite well. If your cases are already dinged up but serviceable they also can be used to cover the "Oh crap" moment.

img1972.jpg