Husqvarna Svartpilen 401/701

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by The Virginian, Jan 27, 2019.

Tags:
  1. 2brnut2b

2brnut2b Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Refering to the link I have attached down here, it looks like it is a simple engine vent hose...
    https://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/2018-husqvarna-svartpilen-401/o/m163151#sch1111622
    Red Sand, Rusty J and tac650 like this.
  2. tac650

tac650 Broken...

Oddometer:
    The only other idea I have, with out opening the clutch or maybe gearbox, is to check the clutch lever movement at the engine. May be you have a issue with the cable. If some strands are broken and the cable has stretched or maybe the point where the end is crimped on has started to pull loose. My KLR clutch cable started acting funny I thought it was a stretched cable. On my next ride it failed and I thought the cable broke only to find the end had pulled out of the crimp. I know yours is pretty new but that doesn't necessarily mean it hasn't failed. With your lever adjusted correctly at the bar it would be interesting to know how much lever movement you are getting at the motor. I can measure mine if you want to compare. I went down and took a couple of photos for you as a quick check. If not very similar make sure the clutch cable ends are seated correctly.

P1040161.JPG P1040162.JPG
    tpchuckles likes this.
  3. tpchuckles

tpchuckles Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    hmm. everything seems normal down there.
    thanks for trying anyway. i guess if we haven't diagnosed it by tuesday, i'll just take it in. its still under warranty, and if it's something haywire inside the clutch/gearbox, you'd sure as shit think that'd be covered.
  4. tac650

tac650 Broken...

Oddometer:
    I just attached a couple of photos above as a reference but yes you should be covered. Good luck and keep us posted!
    tpchuckles likes this.
  5. Triple8

Triple8 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @GGSS
    looks great, question do u mind to share the handle bar set up you have ? what brand and parts number ? or....... thx
  6. Triple8

Triple8 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @RossoLinea
    Hi ken: thanks for sharing your beautiful bike with us, it looks awesome. few questions for you if you don't mine to share with us:

1. how did you relocated the front fender ? is any kit for that ? or some aftermarket parts or ktm parts from other bike ?
    2. do u mind to share your handlebar set up ? what brand of riser you use and parts number ? also handlebar please ! did you replace clutch cable and brake cable to longer one ?
    3. since you make skid plate and gas tank holder yourself, are you consider to make few extra for us to purchase ?
    4.what size of front and rear tires you put on your bike ?

best
    Vincent
  7. GGSS

GGSS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I used pro taper universal oversized bar mount with Renthal RC high bars. Look back a page or two for my more explained version of the conversion I went through
  8. Triple8

Triple8 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    got it,thanks a lot !
  9. tpchuckles

Oddometer:
    following up on the crash bars / frame sliders discussion: here's what i ended up finding. a set of crash bars for the duke 390 that goes nicely around the clutch case. (this does require you to replace the Husky engine mounts with the duke engine mounts, since the crash bars go to a hole in the frame between the two upper bolts of the engine mounts. i spray painted my duke engine mounts too, as i wasn't big on the silver. only other modification was using M10 bolts instead of the M6s it came with for the middle arms). photos below. all for ~$200 ($150 if you get looks-identical cheapo bars from china).
    Installation is a bit tricky, as it requires replacing two bolts that run all the way through supporting the engine, so get out your floor jack (or use the good old ladder + ratchet straps hack). (it's the same story with some of the frame sliders too, and you can see a video of it here).
    IMG_20200405_141335.jpg IMG_20200405_141328.jpg IMG_20200405_141354.jpg IMG_20200405_141342.jpg IMG_20200405_141416.jpg
    TimCC, DGR, Triple8 and 2 others like this.
  10. Claytonroy

Claytonroy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I transferred over some hand guards I had on my other bike, they are Moose racing “minis” sized for smaller dirt bikes in the 125-250cc class. I like the scale of these on scrambler type street bikes.

IMG_20200407_185458048_HDR 2.jpg

I also added an Evotech Toe guard - carbon fiber doo dad that looks cool and prevents your left foot from getting sucked into the drivetrain

Attached Files:

dmitriy_adv and Rusty J like this.
  11. fmejia01

fmejia01 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi!

I am new here and registered to comment on this. Hope it helps.

I got the MNNTHBX Axle Sliders for Husqvarna Vitpilen 401 / Svartpilen 401 which are placed on the front axle and at the swingarm, at both sides:
    [​IMG]

I also got the MNNTHBX Frame Sliders for Husqvarna Vitpilen 401 / Svartpilen 401. These protrude wider than the radiator, protecting it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Both accessories are very easy to install, and come with all required bolts included.

I had a slide in asphalt, as I found a slimy and wet section. They took the hit and its not even noticeable any damage to the bike or to the sliders.

I think they match the bike very well, here is a picture of mine: DSC00729.JPG
    Bitingdog, Red Sand, TimCC and 4 others like this.
  12. 2brnut2b

2brnut2b Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone here with a REKLUSE clutch on a 401 ?
    I am seriously thinking about installing one ... I have been a construction worker most of my life and I am starting to have trouble with my wrist and my fingers getting stuck. So I thought it could be a solution. If any of you have experience with REKLUSE, I would like to read it to you. Thank you !
  13. tpchuckles

Oddometer:
    hey, thanks for the reply and the pics! I ended up going with a set of KTM crash bars that go around the clutch case (couple posts up), although i hadn't gotten any axle sliders yet. thanks for the pointer!
  14. Chrisjames654

Chrisjames654 n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm super excited to see more and more 'pilens on here! This almost seems busier than the actual forum. I've seen more customized ones here for sure. I purchased my 2019 Svartpilen 401 back in early October and knocked out the break-in period within the month. Been trying to ride as much as possible, and have just under 4k miles and getting to the end of my rear tire. Only mods so far are aftermarket mirrors, though I have more in mind for sure.

I chose this bike because IMO, for the price it can do anything I ask of it. Though it may not be the best at it, this bike can look good and get it done. some pics I've got running around Atlanta and up north in the mountains.

IMG_20200322_115105.jpg IMG_20191020_133454.jpg IMG_20191124_135200.jpg IMG_20200327_120042.jpg IMG_20200327_140125.jpg IMG_20200327_103504.jpg
  15. dmitriy_adv

dmitriy_adv Dmitriy M

Oddometer:
    I don't remember if I posted it already or not, but I had the same concern regarding the cases looking like they are very prone to damage. I got the R&G plastic covers and am so far pretty impressed by them. They are pretty thick plastic, so unless you tip onto a very very pointy rock, or really cartwheel the bike, they'll save the day.

I actually already crash tested the left side during a ~15mph gravel low-side. Bent the shifter, scraped the bar end pretty good, but aside from loosing a sticker the case savers don't have any marks.
    1955A865-8202-4E14-A04F-49F10799F235_1_105_c.jpeg
    Rusty J, tpchuckles and tac650 like this.
  16. tac650

tac650 Broken...

Oddometer:
    I like the look of the hand guards but that right guard clamped to the brake reservoir boss is a disaster waiting to happen. They make handle bar clamps with a offset to alleviated this problem.
  17. Red Sand

Red Sand Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I live near Marietta - we'll have to go riding

We have family members who have health issues so my family has all agreed to limit activities outside the house to "only trips for food & essentials" but when this "stay at home" mandate is over I hope I will be again able to venture out into the real world and get back to normal

I have the Svartpilen 701 - it's a fun little machine!

18. tpchuckles

Oddometer:
    as far as water crossings go, my understanding is that so long as your air intake is above water and you keep the engine running (pushing out anything that might make it's way into your exhaust), you're good. so, where's the air intake on the svart 401? and are there any other things i should watch out for?

for example, this is on one trail i'm looking to go to: (water depth is seasonally dependent: unsure what it'd be right now).
    [​IMG]
  19. Rusty J

Rusty J Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty sure this site gets a lot more traffic than the bike-specific forum, so it's more visible. This means more owners post, which means more visibility.... and there ya go.
    Not to mention that the bike-specific forum is mostly for the Vitpilen, with the Svarts getting second billing.

It's amazing how much more fun this bike is after it lets you use the upper half of the tachometer... :-)
  20. Redondo-Chuck

Redondo-Chuck Back in the saddle

Oddometer:
    Hello everyone! I've read all 39 pages of this thread over the last week or so and rode home on my brand new 2019 Svartpilen 401 this morning. I was awestruck a couple of weeks ago when I saw a 701 at an intersection. Don't know whether it was a Svartpilen or Vitpilen, and I didn't know what the letters/numbers on the side even said at the time (Loi, maybe?), but I saw "Husq" before I got out of the way before the light turned green. Came home and typed that into Google and ultimately discovered I had to have the Svartpilen 401. I haven't been on a bike in 18 years. Coincidentally, I just was just divorced from my wife of 16 years...

Fortunately, remembering how to ride a motorcycle is just like riding a bike (or having sex) -- it all came back and it's better than ever!

I don't really have much to compare the ride to. I rode a 1980 Honda CB750 from Virginia to Colorado and back (and lived in Afton for the next few years, tpchuckles!) in '96 and rode a CB650 before that. I briefly had a '72 CB500 and a KZ 550 before meeiting the ex and being pussy-whipped into giving it up for "safety" reasons. I traded the CB650 for his 750 from the head mechanic at Wayne Cycle in Waynesboro, VA, because he wanted to mess around with a smaller bike, and it needed some engine work.

But today I brought home the 401 from Tri-County Powersports, just northwest of Los Angeles, and rode it 60 miles on "backroads" back to my place in the South Bay (we're neighbors Rusty J!). I was set to buy a 2018 with 1,300 miles on it from a KTM dealer in San Marcos, CA, but after reading about The Virginian's blown engine, I decided to bite the bullet and start haggling down the price of the new 2019 in order to get a manufacturer's warranty. They came within $400 of the price I wanted, so I pulled the trigger (and got a further 3-yr warranty totaling 5 years, too -- I may be a sucker...).

Loved everything about the ride. The only question I have is about the high-pitched electric whirring sound that comes from the right front of the bike intermittently. It went off every time by itself, but it sure freaked my out at first (never mind the fact that it came on the first when I was pulled over futzing with my phone GPS (why does it want to change my route after I select the one I want??), and I thought I had brushed the ignition switch to cause the sound. Does everyone hear this sound?

-Chuck
    tac650, DGR and TimCC like this.