Husqvarna Svartpilen 401/701

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by The Virginian, Jan 27, 2019.

Tags:
  1. satur9

satur9 angry black guy

Oddometer:
    This is actually pretty common on motorcycles
    Rusty J and tpchuckles like this.
  2. Baggi'tard

Baggi'tard If I don't answer I'm ridin' or shootin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    I got my OEM 150/60 STR rear in the mail today. It's significantly lighter than the 150/70 STR and as tpchuckles stated the dirt version too. I was pretty surprised how stiff and heavy the 150/70 STR was, like desert dirt tire stiff and heavy. The 150/60 seem more normal weight and normal sidewall and crown flex too (still a pretty stiff and sturdy tire tho, but at least it flexes a little when you push on it).
    tpchuckles and Lozion like this.
  3. jimroid

jimroid Long timer

Oddometer:
    If this is buried in the thread here somewhere, please point me in the right direction, what exactly are the recommended valve check intervals for the 390’s/401’s. I don’t want to kick a hornets nest or reinvent the wheel, just looking for real world intervals. Thanks.
  4. Baggi'tard

Oddometer:
    Service manual says 15,000 Km / 9300 Miles
  5. jimroid

jimroid Long timer

Oddometer:
    ^ Thank you Baggi’tard.
  6. jimroid

jimroid Long timer

Oddometer:
    6BC3B5D1-DAF3-490D-9035-73376A6E42D1.png 009F3586-B553-4B23-A02F-5EA357E9823F.png 2813CC17-3147-40F9-AA83-D3603C6025DC.jpeg Anyone familiar with the “Booster Plug”? I was very skeptical of the product, but after having it in my possession for the last 8 months, I finally installed it on my 2016 Duke 390. No, not a Husky, but very similar DNA. It is designed to get rid of any part throttle leanness, help low speed acceleration, and smooth the lower power. Well by golly, I’m impressed! Right off the bat, the first thing I noticed is it needed less throttle to roll away from a stop. I can lug the engine lower, roll on the throttle more aggressively, it runs smoother, and just seems “happier”. It was a bitch to get all the bodywork off, raise the gas tank, and get to the proper throttle body connection. It took a good part of a morning to complete the task, not getting in any rush. Would I do it again? Oh hell yes.I’m very happy with the results. This seemed to affect everything below 5500 rpm ( to the better) , and no difference above 5500.
    Got_Carbs?, Claytonroy and Lozion like this.
  7. satur9

satur9 angry black guy

Oddometer:
    Yeah I been running them on my bmws for years. Put one on my 701 as well. Smooths the bike out and they run cooler.it was actually the first mod to my 701 before first ride as they were notorious for running lean/hot.
    jimroid likes this.
  8. tpchuckles

tpchuckles Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I guess this begs the question: why's the manufacturer shipping the bike "detuned"? emissions?
    any issues passing an emissions test with one? and what's the mpg end up looking like?
  9. jimroid

jimroid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Emissions. Mileage will drop because I like twisting the throttle more frequently, more often.
    Rusty J and tpchuckles like this.
  10. Redondo-Chuck

Redondo-Chuck Back in the saddle

Oddometer:
    I'm back! Not that anyone missed me :-D

I moved, winter came, and I didn't ride for a few months. But I rode about 5 hours up the Pacific Coast Highway to Cambria from Los Angeles this weekend and reignited my love of riding my Svartpilen 401.

I'm also catching up on many missed episodes of the lovely Itchy Boots and watching all that herky jerky riding on rough dirt roads -- and seeing the post a few back from this one, I just purchased a BoosterPlug for the bike to make the bottom end a bit more useful. Hopefully next time I pull away from a stop light in 2nd gear I won't stall in the middle of the intersection (though better that I just pay attention to what gear I'm in). Anyway, good to be back. I've got some reading to catch up on here too it looks like.
    tpchuckles and Rusty J like this.
  11. Redondo-Chuck

Oddometer:
  12. Lozion

Lozion Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice!
  13. satur9

satur9 angry black guy

Oddometer:
    Yes they are tuned for emissions from factory. I live in the states. No emissions for bikes. So I'm not sure it would pass or not. But you could remove it in less than 10 minutes. My mpg drop 1or 2 mpg. I find I can cruise at a lower rpm..so mpg doest take too much a hit.
    tpchuckles likes this.
  14. Lozion

Lozion Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Really liked my boosterplug on my Kawi W800 but different beast..
    jimroid likes this.
  15. Redondo-Chuck

Oddometer:
    I'm really looking forward to cruising at lower RPMs, or putting along then winding up the throttle and feeling the full range of surge through the increasing RPMs.

On another note, I bought the plain black panel replacement set from the AOMC.mx site so I can stow the originals away for safekeeping and give the it more of a Road Warrior rat-bike look. Also picking up a T-Rex Fender Eliminator kit since my DIY version came out so piss poor -- causing my license plate fold over due to hitting the tire a couple of times. Hopefully this solves it and eliminates the raw sharp metal booby traps it doubles as.

tpchuckles and Rusty J like this.
  16. Rusty J

Rusty J Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not outrageously priced, looks decent. I'd consider using them for a custom paint job. I think someone did one based on the color scheme of a Husky chainsaw, that turned out pretty well.
  17. tpchuckles

tpchuckles Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    what tires you got on there?

Because this weekend I encountered another issue with my bigger Scorpion Rally (17 150/170). I hit a massive pothole at 40mph ( road went from paved to gravel and i didn't see it. :-| ), which was apparently enough to bash the bigger tire into the bottom of the tail, and fuck up my tail light.
    IMG_20210529_135047-edit.jpg
    (which also means i'll need to revise my previous "folks without the possom scoop will be fine with this larger tire"...although you still might be okay depending on how much you're thrashing it. i sure as shit wasn't trying to test that pothole...)
  18. Baggi'tard

Oddometer:
    :stupid

:D
    tpchuckles likes this.
  19. Redondo-Chuck

Oddometer:
    tpchuckles likes this.
  20. Rusty J

Rusty J Been here awhile