Husqvarna Svartpilen 401/701

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by The Virginian, Jan 27, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Redondo-Chuck

Redondo-Chuck Back in the saddle

Oddometer:
    I still have the stock tires on and they have a lot of tread left. I only have about 2800 miles on the bike. I'm thinking of those Continental off-road TKC80 next unless they are particularly bad on the street, in which case maybe the TKC70

tpchuckles likes this.
  2. Redondo-Chuck

Oddometer:
    I installed the Booster Plug yesterday and I'm super impressed with the results. The bike cruised down the alley behind the houses without turning the accelerator at all. I could easily pull away from a dead stop in 2nd gear as well as cruise at single digit MPH without chugging.

This essentially solved the only real complaint I had about the bike, which I had chocked up to it being a thumper rather than 2 or 4 cylinder, but no, it's emissions tuning from the factory.

The installation was easy though I overcomplicated figuring out where to mount/zip-tie it into place. it would have been easier if the temperature sensor wire was a coupler inches longer. Unlike the KTM above, I didn't have to remove any body paneling at all. Easy access from the right side of the bike. Go naked!

I made a video of the installation and I'll share it when it's ready.
  3. Baggi'tard

Baggi'tard If I don't answer I'm ridin' or shootin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you aren't riding any dirt or gravel roads, you won't like the TKC80. They are a great dual sport tire, but the rears have always worn very quickly. They'll be just as squirmy and noisy as you'd expect too.
    Rusty J likes this.
  4. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    Well, thank you for doing that! It answers a question i’ve had for a while, and recently posted (posed) in the 390 Adventure thread.

Most speedos are about 5% optimistic, in all vehicles. It’s thought this is both litigation-avoidance and a gentlemen’s agreement among the manufacturers. I’ve always suspected with modern technology they could get that number 100% correct on OEM tyres, but they don’t. So many vehicles are exactly 5% out that it must be the design target they are hitting accurately.
    Rusty J and tpchuckles like this.
  5. tpchuckles

tpchuckles Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    yup. I'm learning more lessons from this tire fiasco than i care for...
    Rusty J likes this.
  6. Allucaneat

Allucaneat When do we stop to eat? Supporter

Oddometer:
    My (daughter’s) 401 speedo is accurate to within less than 1% of the GPS.
  7. tpchuckles

Oddometer:
    right! certainly any engineer worth his salt can make a speed sensor accurate. it's not that hard. (hence, the speed sensors / etc are accurate, they just fudge it for the user).
    Rusty J likes this.
  8. Lozion

Lozion Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Selling my Vit 401, please see in the classifieds..
  9. Baggi'tard

Oddometer:
    My two newest bikes are same way, dead on from stock. The Monkey now has gearing changes handled with a 12 Oclock labs speedo healer (2.2% with just a tire brand change). My Multistrada is the normal 5 mph or so high in the 60-70 mph range.

Here's something I learned with the Monkey ABS model I had, "severe" gearing changes (like almost 20%) threw a ABS code because it read the bike speed from the countershaft, so with a large gearing change the rear and front wheels (knew front seed from the ABS sensor) were no longer going the speed and the ABS warning light would come on. Would guess that's something that could happen with other ABS bikes too.
    tpchuckles likes this.
  10. jimroid

jimroid Long timer

Oddometer:
    A540D277-C793-46C5-B68E-00A517282F80.jpeg 7527EB4E-0B2D-40AB-800D-753331075944.jpeg 260 miles of twisties, forest, gravel, back roads, and a freeway stint, 77mpg, 2200’ to 6000’. Fun stuff.
    Rusty Rocket and Rusty J like this.
  11. Redondo-Chuck

Oddometer:
    My bike is well-modded now, with proper fender eliminator (replacing my jerry rigged attempt), new plain black side panels, and the Booster Plug. Ready to hit the backroads.
    Apparently this forum doesn't like Imgur.com videos...
    https://imgur.com/RrMlPz6
    so here's a photo to capture your attention
    IMG_5090.JPG
  12. FranknStein7

FranknStein7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    FYI I saw this new seat on AOMC.mx. One piece seat for the 2020-2021 Svartpilen 401.

Meanwhile, I still can't find OEM replacement parts for the 2020 model :dirtdog
  13. Baggi'tard

Oddometer:
    FranknStein7 likes this.
  14. FranknStein7

FranknStein7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That is perfect, thanks! Unfortunately I stripped the bolt on my clutch lever assembly, and Husqvarna doesn't have an individual part number for that. Time to go to Lowe's.
  15. tpchuckles

Oddometer:
    2 more hacks:

I can no longer recommend this "fender arm adapter bracket" strategy. you not only have tremendous downwards bending forces applied (weight of the absurdly heavy arm, over all the bounces and bumps you hit, and amplified by the length of the arm itself), but torsional too (asymmetric arm wants to twist about the bike's "roll" axis). even with locktite, my bolts kept coming loose, and once they're loose, they try to work their way out ridiculously fast. Had to make the ride home recently with cinch straps holding my fender arm up, after one of the bolts worked it's way all the way out in the span of 10 minutes of bouncy gravel...

I'm also not sure if I can recommend the T-rex fender delete (TRFD). looks good, but puts the plate too close to the tire for my comfort. clearance looks fine, then i sit on the bike, and with sag, it's much closer. yeah yeah, i've got a bigger wheel, but even if you gave me another inch, i still think it would be questionable. And I'm not even a chunk, but i do enjoy my soft suspension. (and after the busted tail light incident, i'm not playing games...lol)
    (and on that note, I'm selling one in the flea market. been installed, rode around on it a bit, then took it off. so, "like new").

Instead, I built myself a new fender arm.

Hack 1:
    Took the inspiration from the TRFD and left my turn signals on the butt. a stack of washers replaces the bushing from the TRFD (fills the "hole" where the normal grab bar bolts are set in). you'll also need a pair of 40mm 8mmx1.25 bolts, and a couple angle-brackets with a few holes drilled (each signal needs one hole for it's threaded bit, and a second small hole next to it where a little "nub" goes into, to prevent your signals from twisting). Will they "pivot" forwards and backwards? haven't yet, but we'll see. (if they start rotating, shouldn't be too hard to connect 'em)
    IMG_20210704_103848.jpg IMG_20210704_103837.jpg IMG_20210704_103843.jpg

Hack 2: with the signals on the butt, the only thing the "fender arm" needs to do now is hold up the license plate, and itself, similar to this. Go from both sides of the swingarm, and you ditch the ridiculous torsional forces, and can make it much lighter. Some extruded aluminum that i found in the machine shop scrap pile at work (you could probably achieve the same result with a block of aluminum with perpendicular orthogonal holes), some threaded rod, and a thin flat steel bar that i also found in the machine shop scrap pile, plus all the nuts and washers, and it seems pretty rock solid so far. Plan is to install a couple little bean lights for the plate (the same kind as comes with the TRFD). Design isn't perfect, but it seems to do the job ("hold up the plate, visibly, legally, without clearance issues"). (complaints: it's a little wide at the back, because the distance between swingarms is shockingly large. and the lower rod is mighty close to the axle nuts, so one side has to come off to do chain adjustments. not a big deal).
    IMG_20210704_130110_edit.jpg IMG_20210704_103927.jpg IMG_20210704_103911_edit.jpg IMG_20210704_103903_edit.jpg IMG_20210704_103952_edit.jpg

edit: I'll admit: just ditching the bigger tire would probably be the cheaper route than all these shenanigans, but, i really really want to be able to stick bigger rears on this bike. the 17 150/60 is so limiting.

edit: 9.17.21: 2 months later, it's still rock solid. some clearance issues with the extruded aluminum "brackets" i had, so i ended up going with the "orthogonal holes through a thinner brick of aluminum" approach for the upper right one. bean lights were easy enough to install. buy the right wrench (I was using a vice wrench, not ideal) and you've got enough clearance to adjust the chain without removing anything.
  16. Ericblum

Ericblum Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looks like a movie ‘apple box’ under the bike.
    tpchuckles likes this.
  17. tpchuckles

Oddometer:
    haha! it's a just-right-sized log which i sharpie'd, labeling it as a motorcycle jack, so i don't accidentally go and burn it. :lol3

It's basically this sort of setup, but free. these bikes are light enough you don't need any lever action; just tip onto the kickstand, insert the log, untip onto the log.
    Rusty J likes this.
  18. Baggi'tard

Oddometer:
    You need one of these.
    Enduro Star / Trail Stand

The way you ride, and where, you better be taking tools and tubes with you when you go. I've used my trail stand at least 4 times in the bush, once for me, three times with others.
    tpchuckles likes this.
  19. Swamper

Swamper Been Nowhere Done Nothing

Oddometer:
    Been looking at buying a RC390 for track days. None around my area and the dealers don't have any idea when they might show up again. Ran into a couple of 401's at the dealers, 2- 2019 and 1-2020. What do you guys think, would they be any-good for a track day bike? The one problem maybe the spoke wheels? The dealers say it's the same engine and frame as the KTM, I'm not sure if they are right.
    tpchuckles likes this.
  20. Baggi'tard

Oddometer:
    Same as a Duke 390 I'd think, but same geometry as an RC? that would be hard to believe. BUT, yeah, I think it would be a fine track day bike as long as you are in the "for fun" category. If you really want to have full performance then I would assume the RC would be better, just because I would expect the geometry and ergonomics to be better suited to the track, but who knows, maybe it is just "clothing" that separates the two. A Vitpilen would be better for track day, because of the lower bars. I think the Svart is fun little backroad ripper, so no reason it wouldn't be fun on track days.
    Rusty J and tpchuckles like this.