Husqvarna Svartpilen 401/701

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by The Virginian, Jan 27, 2019.

Tags:
  1. tpchuckles

tpchuckles Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    looks nice! i just have no issues with laying the bike on its side to do the work, so not too worried.
  2. FranknStein7

FranknStein7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can't imagine the spokes would be a significant problem on the track. You might want to switch out the stock tires though. As already mentioned, RC390 and Vitpilen have clip-ons whereas the Duke and Svartpilen have upright handlebars. That might sway you one way or the other.
  3. Swamper

Swamper Been Nowhere Done Nothing

Oddometer:
    Tubes in tubeless tires are a pain and will run hotter than they should. I change my own tires and usually only do about 2-4 track days on a set. I didn't know much about the 401's, didn't know about the two models offered. I think the ones I looked at had Metzeler 05's.
  4. Rusty J

Rusty J Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The cast rims from a Duke 390 are a drop-in replacement, and don't need tubes. Husky sells them in black as OEM replacements.
    Lozion likes this.
  5. tpchuckles

Oddometer:
    if it came with Metzelers instead of Pirelli's, that sounds like the vitpilen. (basically the same bike, sans skid plate, with clip-ons, and with the street tires).

If you're already into changing your own tires, you might also look into the tubeless conversions. Since the rims are tubeless, "all you need to do" is seal the spoke holes, which involved taking off the tire and running some super gummy tape down the center, and installing a new valve. it's certainly going to be cheaper than a new set of rims (if you've got your eyes set on this bike).
  6. Baggi'tard

Baggi'tard If I don't answer I'm ridin' or shootin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    prolly not a bad idea if all you did was street. For off-road riding, I'd still prefer to use or at least have a friggin tube. Couldn't believe what I saw recently on a series of videos about 15 guys that rode 65 days top to bottom of South America. They had a support van even. Most of you would recognize one of the main riders (he has a tour company) So one guy dents his rim severely enough it's not holding air. So unbelievably all these hard core GS riders and tour leaders don't have one fucking tube between them, so they proceed to bash the living shit out of the rim with rocks trying to straighten it out. Honestly I'm not sure what their solution was, but instead of endlessly beating this rim and probably damaging it for good they could have taken the tire off, removed the valve, and slipped in a tube to get the guy to the finish. His rim probably would have been repairable, but instead they likely trashed it. One of the stupidest "unprepared" things I've seen in a documentary series. "I've got tubeless tires, I'll just bring some plug kits", cuz we all know that's the only issue when bashing your bike on rocks and potholes all day..
    tpchuckles likes this.
  7. Swamper

Oddometer:
    Tubes for off-road are always a good idea. I'm looking at a small CC bike only for Track Days so the tubeless would be best for me. The more I look into this the more I'm finding out the sales guy has given my bad information saying the frame is the same as the RC390. He is correct about the engine being the same. Not sure but it looks like the gear/trans is a little different also. I still getting the info as I really like the 401 and yes it was the Vitpilen model. Looks like the newest version will have a quick shifter along with adjustable damping forks.
    Rusty J and tpchuckles like this.
  8. jimroid

jimroid Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Duke would be a phenomenal track bike.
    Dirt2007 likes this.
  9. tpchuckles

Oddometer:
    I'm still not sure this is a sentiment i can get down with.

certainly it depends on the situation, but the probability of me fucking a rim to hell (or encountering some other irreparable issue) is far lower than the probability of me successfully swapping a tubeless tire (with a tube in it) in the woods. In both cases, the outcome is going to be "ride home on it carefully, or walk out of the woods and hitchhike". yeah yeah, i'm not in the middle of africa, but i seem to hear a whole awful lot of "no way jose should you use tubeless offroad" when imo it's a sane-enough option with some definite pros.

edit: and really, even in the extreme cases, i don't see why "both" can't be an answer. go tubeless, carry a tube. why not? you'll be so much better off being tubeless for 95% of the flats, and you still have the insurance. (i agree to your point about how in the world can the pros be so unprepared though)
    Rusty J likes this.
  10. Baggi'tard

Oddometer:
    As Deion said, "boff"!
  11. Bingwhip

Bingwhip n00b

Oddometer:
    Broke 100 miles today on my new Svart I just got home. Took a PTO day and headed up into an old mountain loop road about 30 miles, a good chunk of it dirt. So happy I picked this bike!

I'm slowly reading through this thread to learn and check out other's experiences, glad to find such a great community for my first bike! Can't wait till I hit the first service and can really open her up!

Attached Files:

tpchuckles, Rusty J, Lozion and 4 others like this.
  12. Rusty J

Rusty J Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are the rims actually tubeless, aside from the spoke holes?
    That is, do the rims's bead seats have a safety lip, or do they depend on the tube to keep the tire beads from shifting inward if the tire pressure drops?

[​IMG]
    tpchuckles likes this.
  13. Baggi'tard

Oddometer:
    the "MT" in the label on the rim is the designation for normal tubeless type rim.
    tpchuckles and Rusty J like this.
  14. Lozion

Lozion Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Vit 2018 here 4000km with clutch or shifter issue. Am reading lots on the forum trying to troubleshoot my problem but meanwhile, I’m having trouble shifting into 1st from neutral & have to clamp down hard on the shifter to go. Sometimes when this happens the led display shows a — sign instead of N or 1. I do have some chain slag that I will adjust.

Opinions?

-clutch cable needs adjustment or is close to break?

-Shifter bolt loose?

-Faulty spring?

-Clutch slave cylinder?

I inspected the shifter and the bolt clamp is a tad loose and moves a few cm outwards. I tried tightening or changing the screw that locks it to the bolt end but to no avail. Luckily the bolt isnt stripped nor the clamp, yet..
  15. Baggi'tard

Oddometer:
    Just my opinion, but if you don't know when a clutch cable needs adjustment (hell yes when it's out of adjustment it affects shifting), or the fact that a cable operated clutch doesn't have a slave cylinder (that would be a hydraulic operated clutch), then you should take the bike to a mechanic that does understand that. Internet "guesses" at your problem aren't going to help if you don't know those basics.
    Claytonroy likes this.
  16. Lozion

Lozion Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Correction, a few millimeters. See here:

924B77D1-7159-492D-B44D-9ED203951A1E.jpeg D0AE5EB7-A0CB-4ECE-9E53-D38422BC0377.jpeg

Is that amount of travel normal?
  17. Lozion

Lozion Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hadn't had time to check on the right side as it got too dark but yes no clutch slave cylinder, that is for the 701 my bad. As to the rest of your "constructive" input, well, I'll stay polite..
    tpchuckles likes this.
  18. Lozion

Lozion Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How about that, the lock nuts should be on each side the clutch guard (KTM Duke 390) and not like this (guard removed):

C8937492-5967-424A-BE95-A6AEE4A55305.jpeg 465B1714-38ED-42DC-90D2-E77F349E4FB4.jpeg

Think I found the culprit, way less loose with nuts on each side of the bracket.
    Raining now, cant ride..

Edit: Seems the subject is controversial in KTM land, will have to test and see..
    Rusty J likes this.
  19. Swamper

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't think so.
  20. Lozion

Lozion Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    about?