Husqvarna Svartpilen 401/701

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by The Virginian, Jan 27, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Swamper

Swamper Been Nowhere Done Nothing

Oddometer:
    I was refering to the shift lever coming off the shaft, that's not right.
    Lozion likes this.
  2. tpchuckles

tpchuckles Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    sounds like the exact same thing i had, which was just the shifter arm clamping onto the little spindle thingy going into the engine. not sure if you ended up tightening that down, but make sure it's aligned right on the teeth when you do.
    Lozion likes this.
  3. Lozion

Lozion Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I tried tightening the bolt on the clamp to the shifter shaft but it wont bite more..
  4. 51688

51688 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  5. Lozion

Lozion Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So I had too much slack at the lever, at the spring and at the shifter rod.
    Muuuch tighter shifting now.

ps: Still not sure about that shaft clamp travel..
    Sneeze Juice and Rusty J like this.
  6. Bingwhip

Bingwhip n00b

Oddometer:
    I have a question for anyone that could maybe help. I went to adjust the chain tension, I'm about 250 miles in on a new bike and it seemed a little slack. But I'm a bit confused on where to take the 5-7mm measurement from.

The swingarm has kind of a lip on the outside edge, and then inside the 2-3mm lip, there's a flat portion of the bar where the chain is parallel. So I measure from the lip? Or from the flat part of the bar by the chain? The lip makes sense to me because it's visible from the side when adjusting/measuring. But it seems a little tight if I adjust to that, like barely an inch full play if I pull/push pretty hard. Any expert advice would be appreciated!
    Rusty J and tpchuckles like this.
  7. Malink

Malink n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi everyone, just found this and binged half the thread so far.. Really good stuff!
    I’m early 40s, just started riding and due to UK laws started with a 125cc. The Svartpilen was the obvious choice with killer looks and it fits me (6’3). Most other 125s are targeting 16yr olds and I love this bike. Anyway, planning to keep this till spring then do the full test and upgrade to a “real” bike - can’t decide between 401 / 701. My ride is mostly commute, mix of towns (30mph) and A roads (60mph). I’m not an adrenaline monkey but I find my current max of 50mph a bit scary as I’m holding up traffic all the time. Really looking for opinions, is the 401 “enough” or is it still 100% wide open throttle to keep up with traffic? Is the 701 too much for a newbie? Once I’ve nailed this thorny point I’ll have to decide between Svart vs Vit! Sorry for the long post, great thread folks.
    tpchuckles likes this.
  8. Allucaneat

Allucaneat When do we stop to eat? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have the Svartpilen 401 and it handles highway speeds (70-75mph) just fine, with more to go. I also have KTM 690 Enduro, which is basically the same power as the 701, and I don't think it would be too much for someone who's been riding a little while like yourself. I guess it would just depend on your budget and how much extra power you like to have on tap.

Edit to add: The 701 is a little bigger so it may be more comfortable for someone your size.
    tpchuckles, Rusty J and Malink like this.
  9. Malink

Malink n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks, that’s really helpful - hard to find real world info about what the 401 is like to ride!
  10. sofauxboho

sofauxboho Lacks Undo Supporter

Oddometer:
    @Malink If the price of the 701 doesn't trouble you I'd say stick with the 125 a bit longer then go straight for the 701.

I'm 6'3, 41 years old, and weigh 89kg. I've been riding for 20 years and have owned 20+ motorcycles. I just picked up a Vitpilen 701. It's lovely. Plenty of power, and if you're anything like me you won't outgrow it. I've not owned a 401, but I have had a bunch of other motorcycle in the 40hp range. You can have a great time on 'em, and a 401 would be a reasonable next step, but I betcha in another year you'd be looking to upgrade again. No worries if you can afford it and like swapping bikes, but if you're looking to keep what you buy for some years I'd go with the larger engine in this case. Power delivery is linear and tractable on the 701. Just be kind to the throttle and keep RPM down a bit until you're ready for full honk.

After all, we are talking about 44hp vs 75hp here. A big difference to be sure! But both fairly sane motorcycles. Ask me about an R3 vs an R1 for a newer rider and I'll give a very different answer.

As for Vit vs Svart, a word from somebody who just made this choice: It all comes down to body position and front wheel.
    The Svart is more upright and more comfortable, but it has an odd-duck 18" front wheel that will restrict tire choices.
    The Vit has a much more aggressive posture. It will be faster flat out due to aerodynamics and weight distribution, but you may ache a bit after long rides. I find it comfortable at speed, but I ache when I have to ride it slowly for long. It has a typical 17" front wheel and every tire in the world comes in this size. (Rear wheel / tire is the same size on both.)
    I picked the Vit as this is my "fun" bike. No freeways, no passengers, no luggage, no commuting, never to see rain. I've got a BMW GS for practical riding. But if you're planning for this to be yer only bike that you'll use to do it all, I'd say Svart.

Wish we had tiered licensing here in the States! Would have saved me an expensive crash or two way back when...
    tpchuckles and Rusty J like this.
  11. Malink

Malink n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks a lot for the details, that really helps! Yes, the tiered system has its benefits, apparently brought in to stop the v large number of kids dying on bikes back in the day.
    Good to know about the power, I guess so long as I learn my way around the throttle carefully it should be ok - on the 125 it has to be wide open all the time so some re-learning needed! Will keep practicing the slow stuff and doing the commutes until the weather stops me for winter and hopefully by about April I’ll be ready for the test and the more powerful bike. Thanks again for the info!
    tpchuckles likes this.
  12. tpchuckles

tpchuckles Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    100% enough imo. top speed is over 100mph i've heard, and has plenty of acceleration left for passing on the freeway (70mph speed limit).

as mentioned, svart is more upright. if you like laying on your belly on a sports bike, go vit, but i see a lot more "here's how i raised my handlebars on my vit" (turning it into a white svart) than the other way around. i quite like the neutral position of the svart, and it hums along at 65 just perfectly (not being blown off backwards because it's "too upright").

good question. i measure to the swingarm below the lip (looser of the two options), but i can't say with 100% certainty that that's the right way. although a few mm extra slack won't be a problem (actual difference in chain length is not even 1mm), whereas a chain that's too tight will wreck itself.

something else to check is if the slack is the same all the way around. I found mine had a "short" spot after maybe 3kmi, just from it wearing unevenly. so if i set the tension correctly, then spun it, it would be "tight" at one point in the rotation. so that could also be contributing to the tightness you're seeing
    Rusty J likes this.
  13. Bingwhip

Bingwhip n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks tpchuckles! It's only got 300 miles on it, so hopefully uneven wear isn't too much of a problem, but I'll double check. I talked to my dad who knows more about this and he said it was too tight adjusted to the lip, so I redid it to the flat spot and I think it's much more where it should be. I'm gonna tinker some more tomorrow and triple check a bit before I take it out on my longest ride yet.
    tpchuckles and Rusty J like this.
  14. Malink

Malink n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks tpchuckles, I guess I’ll just go and sit on the 401 and 701 closer to the time and see which is more comfortable, extra space on the 701 is appealing. I prefer the styling of the 401, (more mad max than the 701) so only concern is if it has enough power to haul me up a hill! Sounds like that shouldn’t be a problem..
    tpchuckles likes this.
  15. Bingwhip

Bingwhip n00b

Oddometer:
    Thank you @vintageveloce for the inspiration on the plate mounting! I went kind of the other direction, under the pillion, but it's quite visible and and full travel doesn't rub! I haven't added the light yet, but the big part is done! So glad to be free of that clunky PITA fender!

Also, the mail came with my new plates!

IMG_20210806_153732744_HDR.jpg
    Lozion, Rusty J, tpchuckles and 2 others like this.
  16. FranknStein7

FranknStein7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  17. The.Cheese

The.Cheese Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing that pic. I genuinely laughed out loud. That little blur for his eyes is killing me!!!! Don't wanna give away anybody's identity.
    Rusty J likes this.
  18. eXiLe88

eXiLe88 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You might want to take into account the fact the 2019 and 2020 are not the same bike. Until 2019 the bikes were all assembled in Austria and they are very well put together. From 2020 the bikes come directly from India but it's a new production line and even if the components are shared with the 2021 Duke 390 the quality wasn't there for the first months.

My dealer told me nightmare stories as basically he had to do stuff he has not seen in 15 years.
    The OEM quickshifter on the newwr models is kinda crap and the forks are good but the main issue is the rear shock, it's way too soft I really start pushing.

On my Svartpilen I had a custom suspension job done (Andreani Misano EVO and custom rear WP shock (mine was modifed), new springs. Now it's a weapon generally able to keep up with my SuperDuke and my mates if speeds do not get too high.

I put M7RR, more aggressive pads and took it to a tight track here in Italy and in the slow stuff it's mega fun. The suspension and tire size will make you run on the limit of the front all the time. In fact my front has no chicken strips while the rear has a good 1cm untouched area.

The tires even with tubes work fine. I may do a conversion later on.

The 401 flat out will do 169kph (I checked on GPS) even if indicated will be 186 or something with stock gearing. It has plenty poke provided you keep it on boil, it's a very revvy engine and it needs to sing to go fast.

It will go up to 130kph plenty fast but the suspension is adequate as it very lightly sprung, brakes are great but the OEM pads are kinda shit if you want to go fast. Other that that I think it's the best A2 bike unless you want ride with a pillion. I have taken it to 850km per day Alps touring and the pace it can go will surprise people, even more so if you put road tires one (the OEM Scorpion STRs are great but no comparison to full road tires)

I went for a 401 as it is my second bike, budget was a concern and the 701 is more expensive everywhere.
    Plus the 401 is plenty fast and will teach you a lot as you will need to learn how and when to give it the beans.

The 701 is actually very friendly, Svart in particular due to having high bars, it has traction control which is useful, very good brakes and proper suspension.
    The Svart is limited due to the 18" front wheel but it also gives a bit more confidence in bad conditions
    If you want a 17" front and high bars there are tons of conversion kits to make the Vit701 with handlebars

Also if you want to stay in the KTM family I think the ADV 390 is a great option for a commuter beginner bike which has the same base as the Husqys
    tpchuckles and Claytonroy like this.
  19. Baggi'tard

Baggi'tard If I don't answer I'm ridin' or shootin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, here's a tip for a preventative check. Out riding this morning and doing a u-turn in the forest I noticed my headlight flicker and then shut off. Checked fuses and what I could on the side of the road (everything else worked). Rode all the way home (60+ miles) with no headlight. Pulled the headlight off when I got home, had power to the connection that's right behind the headstock, under a little plastic cover. Took the tape and plastic wrap off the wiring and found this. The wires are super small, like 22 or 24 gauge ( think you could bite through with your teeth). LED lights take so little power the wiring is tiny. The entire headlight assy probably doesn't weigh one pound.

[​IMG]

interestingly it can pinch on full right lock, but I was making a left u-turn. Anyway, after three low temp solder/shrink wrap connectors (Wirefly), a layer of tape, a few pieces of heat shrink wrap, and two more layers of e-tape (the black stuff is extra thick, 10 mil)...

[​IMG]

Double check your work! And you can see the headlight connection plug sticking out from under the little plastic cover, just above the light.

[​IMG]
    tpchuckles, Rusty J and staticPort like this.
  20. roookie1

roookie1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Husky 401 has been manufactured in Indian since 2017, just like ktm 390..

https://www.google.dk/amp/s/www.car...e-made-in-india-10-things-to-know-1720055/amp
    Rusty J likes this.