Husqvarna Svartpilen 401/701

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by The Virginian, Jan 27, 2019.

Tags:
  1. tpchuckles

tpchuckles Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lozion likes this.
  2. BoarFlinger

BoarFlinger n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey folks, I ordered a new 2021 Svartpilen 401, and after the long wait, it is finally arriving tomorrow!

Given that this is my first motorcycle purchase, I'm a little nervous about the delivery process.

What are the most important things to check to ensure I'm not getting a lemon? Are there any particular documents I should make sure I get as well? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm currently in CA.
    tpchuckles and Dirt2007 like this.
  3. tpchuckles

Oddometer:
    Anyone able to check a bolt for me? i seem to have lost the bolt along the bottom of the chain guard. the manual says it's M6, but seems to disagree with itself (unless i'm misunderstanding) and that also seems a bit fat from what i recall (granted, i was messing with it a while back), and i need to know the length.
    here's a couple pics from the manual:
    2021-09-15 - 19-17-07_edit.png 2021-09-15 - 19-38-48_edit.png
    looking for any info you can give me on bolt 6 in the first picture, and 1 in the second. ideally i'd get the length, diameter, and thread.

edit: i found what i'm guessing is an M6 (just comparing it against bolt 5 from pic 1, which i know to be M5x0.8) and maybe 40mm long. looks close to the right length, but won't thread in on the other side (confirming my suspicion that it's not an M6. might be M5, but can't say without going to the store and buying one i guess... :-| ...or someone checking. ;-) )
  4. Baggi'tard

Baggi'tard If I don't answer I'm ridin' or shootin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    M5x55 (that old guy problem, never long enough is it!). I'd say you are right it's 0.8 pitch.

[​IMG]
    Rusty J and tpchuckles like this.
  5. tpchuckles

Oddometer:
    you're a life saver! much appreciated!
  6. roookie1

roookie1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry, my bad..
  7. tpchuckles

Oddometer:
    jeebus. these mofos are $17 a piece now. I was about to call it quits on my bullshit chain experiments, but i think i'll keep going.

the first experiment was "the cheapest motherfuckin' chain i can find (no rings), on a fresh sprocket, lubed to hell". it's not doing so hot, and the entire back of my bike is covered in oil. fuck that. (the thought was: if you can buy a cheap chain for $20 and an expensive chain for $100, does the cheap one last at least 1/5th as long as the expensive one? if so, that might be the way to go, if you don't mind changing 'em)
  8. Baggi'tard

Oddometer:
    So about chains. Like most people I was a chain luber. My favorite for past couple decades was Maxima chain wax. I always got good service out of my chains, certainly 20K plus was not unheard of on the street, way less than that on dirt bikes (even with o-rings) so I started re-anlayzing that. At about the same time I watched a couple different test videos about lubes, like FortNine and maybe Project Farm?, and had some conversations about cleaning and lubing on the ADV Husaberg forum. From that, for the past couple years I've have only cleaned my chains (typically WD-40) (do have to put some lube on non-oring chain on the Monkey) and then just wiped off the excess. Tell ya what, my chains remain a hell of a lot cleaner between cleanings, and I don't clean them as much as I used to (because they are cleaner). So far my OEM 401 chain has 3000 miles on it, and I've maybe only adjusted it once, it's doing very well (for a chain that lives half it's life on forest roads). The chain on my 1200 Multistrada is doing just as good as it ever did cleaning and lubing (and getting it dirtier) it all the time.

dirt and grit equals wear on dirt bike chain and sprockets. The less you can have sticking and accumulating on the bike, the better. YMMV. :-)
    Rusty J, tpchuckles, Dirt2007 and 2 others like this.
  9. tpchuckles

Oddometer:
    yeah, i've heard similar. there seem to be two schools of thought: lube lube lube, and lube flings off the grime. or keep just it clean, because literally all that matters is not drying out your o-rings (since the real important lube is sealed inside), and you don't want to attract grime.

tbf, i was really shitty to my first chain on this bike. dunk it in mud, don't wash it after, whatever. i also had rust on it, despite keeping it waxed (or so i thought), which was a pretty big disappointment. it was unevenly stretched after 3kmi, and i stuck it out until it was dangerous at 5kmi. pretty big bummer, what with reading people saying they get 20kmi out of chains with excessive lubage...

I also couldn't find any hard engineeringy information on what precisely makes a chain last long, and i'm not about to spend my hard(ly) earned beer money on the old adage "you get what you pay for". let's not advance the false equivalency that cost = quality, shall we? (and who's to say i won't get some shit spending $50 or $100?). and a lot of people saying "eh, don't fret your 5kmi. OEM chains tend to just suck"...but why?

more research, and it sounds like there's some info i missed. hardness of the metal, resistance to corrosion, etcetera. so, okay, now i feel a bit more confident buying an expensive (name brand) chain. the amount of gunk on my chains lubing them up was a little horrifying too. i'd see chain cleaning videos where people get their chains glimmering and shiny. "how the fuck?" lol
  10. Baggi'tard

Oddometer:
    Hey all, I have an extra Race Tech rear spring for the 401. Part number SRSP 5818107, which is the 5818 series at 10.7 kg/mm (105N) rate. I used this for a few months before I went one rate up to the 11.6 kg/mm spring. I fudged the rate a little to light initially, I'm 215 and I'll bet gear and my dual sport backpack adds a good 15 lbs. I would say if you are in the 180-190 lb range this would be the right rate. I'll sell it for $50 (less than 1/2 price) plus shipping. I will even put it on for you if you pay shipping for your shock both ways.

A correct straight rate spring is always going to be better than an OEM progressive spring. Another thing I did, with great result, was to pitch that huge foam rubber bumper on the OEM shock. Removing that added several inches of smoother rear travel and I don't have sudden "bottoming" anymore.

[​IMG]
    Lozion likes this.
  11. tpchuckles

Oddometer:
    Whelp, new chain on, and going with the WD-40. gotta say i'm impressed.

nice long muddy gravelly dusty ride yesterday, and the chain just had the thinnest grime film i've ever seen. much more confidence inspiring than the thick black paste i'd end up with using wax or thicker oil.

edit: now i'm not sure how thick you'd actually end up accumulating if you ignored the chain for a while, but, there's still another win for WD-40. a quick wipe-down is so much easier and faster. (was the the gunk fest i used to have from negligence? maybe...because even a thin layer of gunk is a whole ordeal).
    Baggi'tard likes this.
  12. Baggi'tard

Oddometer:
    Oh, the "Ergo Comfort" seat for the Svartpilen was recently available online (AOMC), so I got one. Funny thing is that just like the picture, it's embossed "Vitpilen" on the back of the seat. Oh well. Certainly looks better than the two piece look. I'd say it's somewhat of an improvement, at least I don't feel like the back of my thighs are on the seat frame now.

I also just replace the right fork leg seal and wiper, again. The first time I replaced both sets with normal SKF seals (the right one had started leaking), you can see the green wiper on the left fork leg. The right one was leaking on/off again. I stuck a seal cleaner up the right leg and it gushed out air/oil, so the fork must have been sucking air and it was the pressure pushing oil out. So I bought the new dual compound SKF seal kits. I only installed the right leg, with new oil of course. Cleaned the internals, which were pretty damn dirty for 3000 miles, but teflon bushings look great. Noticed one tiny little nick in the leg (pretty high up, maybe in the normal working zone?), and a little bit of scuffing on the bottom tube (couldn't see it as it was on the inward facing side). Sanded with 1500 grit wet sandpaper. Couple rides later so far so good, touch wood.

[​IMG]
    Lozion likes this.