Hwy 129 Hell I was there

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by SloSolo2, Jun 30, 2018.

1. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sarah?
    sarah.jpg
  2. Sumo64c

Sumo64c Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rode through on Weds. right around lunch time, almost torpedo'd by a out of lane cager and nearly went off the roadway. Another oh shit moment which is beginning to get old as I've had several near misses by out of lane opposite direction vehicles in the last couple of weeks in the area. Going to take a hard look at either a convertible car of some sort or one of those slingshots......
    norton73 and Bar None like this.
  3. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    You'll stand a better chance with a Kenworth. Let 'em try it then. :D
  4. Bar None

Oddometer:
    Have to get a auto tag frame on your maybe new to you sporty Miata convertible that reads GT-R DOWN. :lol3
    norton73 likes this.
  5. SRG

SRG Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't think Slingshots or any 3 wheeler meet any safety/crash standards. Any modern automobile would be much, much safer in a crash.
    RBrider and CharlestonADV like this.
  6. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    Neither do motorcycles. Just sayin'. :johntm
    strommonster likes this.
  7. Bar None

Oddometer:
    GT-R DOWN
    Photo courtesy of the Road Patrol.
    Added two more photos of the recovery.
    GTR2.jpg

GTR.jpg

GTR.jpg
    norton73 and gulfcoaster like this.
  8. Bar None

Oddometer:
    Now you tell me! :muutt
  9. bigdog99

bigdog99 Weaned and neutered

Oddometer:
    If DGMR is renting rooms, stay there overnight. Or Tapoco. I did both a couple of years back and it was a highlight of the trip.
  10. Bar None

Oddometer:
    From DGMR
    Our current status:

- We are currently open in the store seven days a week from 9am - 5pm and until 6pm on the weekends.

- Our Dragon's Den Grill is open for to go order from Thursday - Monday 9am - 4pm, with breakfast from 9am - 11am.

- Our motel is open and accepting reservations.

- Our camping area is open.

Jud Merrell

General Manager

Call Tapoco Lodge
    Historic Tapoco Lodge
    14981 Tapoco Road
    Robbinsville, NC 28771
    PH: (828)498-2800
    To verify that they are renting tooms.
  11. Bar None

Oddometer:
  12. JRowland

JRowland reaching for the sky Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fontana from here today

EF8B416D-6015-4D63-936F-4B09138665A9.jpeg

AC9319BD-D4A6-4951-B45C-E1F4F38A2CDE.jpeg

C72157FD-2C4A-4EF6-BE36-8071501D8B5E.jpeg
    norton73, jdubb75, DougA and 8 others like this.
  13. viper522

viper522 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I get that a lot anywhere in the mountains, not just when people are trying to look fast on 129. It's not the first time I realized people are dumb, but it's a frequent reminder.
    JRowland likes this.
  14. AronW

AronW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just got home from there yesterday. Overall a great trip with some highs and lows. Lots of rain last week. Got wet just about every day we rode. Was able to ride the Foothills Pkwy finally. We went the whole length from 129 to Pigeon Forge. I liked it a lot and will try to ride it every time there now. Also got to check out Bald River Falls off the Cherohala.

We had 2 mishaps on the Dragon on our last day here. Headed from the resort to the overlook, in a lefty my friend hit a snake mid curve just before the overlook. Caused his front end to wash out, so had had to stand it up to save it. This resulted in him going off the road, through the ditch and back up onto the road just in time for the next righty. Not a scratch on him or the bike. Not sure how the snake fared. I didn't see it, but he said it was black and about as long as the lane is wide.

Stopped at the overlook and let his shakes go away before heading back to the resort. We get to the resort and notice our other friend isn't behind us. Not uncommon because he wasn't riding as hard as us all week and was usually way behind. 30 seconds go by and I said he should be here by now, so we turned and went back. About 2 or 3 miles in we found him. He was a little banged up on both knees and elbows, but ok. Ened up he had high-sided in a corner after going in too hot and then panic braked. The crash took off his whole left side rearset/shifter/peg, and actually broke the frame where it mounts. Instant totaled bike. Other than that, bent handlebars, broken bar end mirror, and dented tank, it was unharmed.

Despite the problems, it was a fun trip as always. I may try to get back down toawrds fall for a few days. We talked about not going every year and making it an every-other-year thing. I don't know...I just really love it there.
  15. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    As stated and not often enough in Robbinsville, NC
    A friend and I went sometime back around 2000, and took a guy who had never been there. I was on my 748, my friend was on an SV650, and the new guy was on his GSXR750. I stopped at the lake after the first run through, and the SV650 came up a few minutes later. We were waiting for the 750 to pull up, but got nervous after 10 more minutes. Just as we were getting ready to head back, he came around the last corner. Only a little dinged up, but he had snapped off the footpeg bracket. Good thing the guy with the SV brought spares, as the footpeg bracket was the same. :lol2

That's why I'm there as often as possible myself, and why I bought a house in town. :D
    Huzband, JRowland and AronW like this.
  16. AronW

AronW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This was my 5th time down, and every year I hate leaving to come back to IL just a little bit more. I have looked for work down there before, in Knoxville. I imagine after I lose my parents I'll make the move as there won't be much keeping me here after that.
    SloSolo2, DougA, Rick G and 2 others like this.
  17. ZGirl

ZGirl Girly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    As do we. We were there that year, it was a good time.

After we found it. :lol3 I'm just sayin'...... a small lighted sign pointing toward a road leading to the hotel would have been helpful for two very weary riders wandering in the dark...... or maybe a pirate map with clues! :D
    MikeyT likes this.
  18. kneeslider

kneeslider Insufficient privileges!

Oddometer:
    idiot! Never a LEO around when there should be!
  19. JRowland

JRowland reaching for the sky Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well said

Ouch. Glad it was still fun for everyone. I liked it so much I moved here 3 years ago. I still pinch myself every day.
    tireatr and AronW like this.
  20. Bar None

Oddometer:
    The trucker was staying in his/her lane and the truck was probably not over 30' in length so what was the problem?
    Huzband and heresjeff like this.