HWY4 to HWY 50

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - West & PNW' started by rwamf, Mar 18, 2006.

1. rwamf

rwamf Follow me

Oddometer:
    This is a fun Ride for a GS, a good mix of dirt two track and some fun paved sections.
    Garmin owners will have to split it up or Filter it down to a track size for your Garmin,
    I use a Lowrance H20c , and it will save up to 100 tracks @ up to 10,000 points each, so my files are large, The problem with filtering it down is you loose resolution .
    Enjoy
    R

98R1100GS
    98KLX300R
    02 Cota315R
    06TE610
    Garmin 60c and Lowrance H20c

Attached Files:

2. offroute

offroute Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very cool route. Can't wait to ride it. Will try and connect 50 to I-80 near Donner Summit in a similar creative way.
  3. ktmnate

ktmnate Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice. I too am looking forward to riding this. When did you make this trip? Is it doable in the winter?

Nate
  4. rwamf

rwamf Follow me

Oddometer:
    This is not passable in the winter, should be in May but this year they got hammered with snow and it might take awhile to open. I also have many more tracks from that area, I did this one back on Oct.

LTR
    Robert
  5. ktmnate

ktmnate Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like another ride to plan. Thanks for the route.

Nate
  6. Bob

Bob Formerly H20Pumper Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just looked at this and if the Tech Day weekend was a little later, it would be perfect.

Nate let me know when you might check it out! Aren't you headed out to the Desert?
  7. ktmnate

ktmnate Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll let you know when I'm going out. And yes, I'm headed south Friday am. I actually had the bike apart trying to get it ready. New tires, new bars and new guards. The last hand guards broke and I didn't even fall on that side:wink:

Nate
  8. namaste_lv

namaste_lv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Are you using GPSbabel to convert GPX files for use with your Lowrance. I've tried a few different settings but have had no luck.

--
    Josh
  9. rwamf

rwamf Follow me

Oddometer:
    Yes, I am using it to transfer both ways, I have found that the program does not automatically put the extension on the files you save, EX ".usr"
    I have used it to convert my Delorme 'gpl' to 'gpx, Garmin 'gdb' to 'usr' and 'gpx' to 'usr' .
    I select in the upper dropdown window "GPX XML" and in the lower dropdown window select "Lowrance USR" , in the save window you select "all files" and name it with the extension ".usr" then hit "SAVE" and then press the "Process" button, file should work
    It has worked great for me,
    Robert
  10. ontheGaS

ontheGaS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Robert, your 4 to 50 route sounds cool; these are the type of rides I need to find out about, living so close. Don't have a GPS yet and don't know squat about what all you are doing with these gpx files but sure would like to get with it!!! Let me know if you are available for consultation. Later, Roger.
  11. christian

christian Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice, I've just loaded up a track that goes from HWY108 at Strawberry to HWY 4, that can make a nice ride to hook them up together.

the track is here:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2619256#post2619256

But I can't remember how hard is the first section, I did it on a DRZ400S , not sure a GS would go through.

Christian
  12. R-dubb

R-dubb Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You can find Hells Half Acre Road on Day 5 of the Pacific Crest Quest.

Link here: PCQ Tracks

-dubb