Hyder.....Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by officersdr, Apr 9, 2019.

1. officersdr

officersdr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My brother and I are doing a 6 day trip to Haida Gwaii, British Columbia in the 3rd week in July. After we get back to the mainland I was looking at detouring to check out Hyder for the day ( and hopefully see grizzlies ).

Is the 4hr detour worth it? We've never been to Alaska and I'd like to check out Fish Creek Wildlife site and hopefully seeing some bears.

Any information would be great
  2. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    If the weather is dry the drive into Stewart and Hyder is top notch. If the weather is crap you will not see the mountains. If the fish are in you should see bears. At that time they should be in the stream. You should see a bunch of bears on the drive in.
    AKDuc likes this.
  3. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    One of our rides to Hyder was in mid-May. Saw over two dozen bears between Meziadin Junction and Stewart. No salmon in fish creek that time of year.
    Bigbob1 likes this.
  4. ToothDocJay

ToothDocJay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cobble Hill, Vancouver island, BC ("wet coast")
    I agree with BigBob, let the weather determine what you do.

Hyder is sort of a destination, just so you can say you've been there. The road in is beautiful on a nice day, and more often than not you are going to see bears on your way in (DONT STOP!!....they are bears).

Once there you can take another short ride to the viewing area if the salmon are in and it's a bearapalooza.

Plus you can get "Hyderized", a very small shot of pure grain alcohol, for further bragging rights. It's not enough to get you drunk, so put that worry aside.
  5. kman311

kman311 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The Salmon Glacier is also a nice stop if you visit Hyder.

Attached Files:

djroszina and motrhead like this.
  6. NW Coaster

NW Coaster Adventurer

Oddometer:
    North Okanagan, BC (formerly North Coast)
    Since you're coming from Prince Rupert on the way back, you should hang a left at Kalum Lake Road on the west side of Terrace. That becomes the Nisga'a Highway and is much more scenic than the south part of the Cassiar Hwy 37 N. Lava beds, lakes, waterfalls, cultural points of interest. There's fuel at New Aiyansh during regular business hours. Then you have about 50km of gravel on the Cranberry Connector which comes out part way up the Cassiar Hwy. Go to Hyder then shoot straight back down the 37 to Kitwanga on the way back.
    Kruzof and AKDuc like this.
  7. Section8

Section8 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    One of my favourite roads!
  8. ShineySideUp

ShineySideUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    the road between Maziadan Junction to Stewart BC IMHO is one of the prettiest rides anywhere.

My vote - if the weather is ok - go for it. If you get into Hyder have lunch at the 'bus.' Best fresh halibut you will find anywhere.
    motrhead and bigjohnsd like this.
  9. hammick

hammick Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hell yes it's worth it. Driving into Hyder when it's sunny reminds me a little of Hawaii. Stunning waterfalls everywhere. It's in the grizzly bear rain-forest. The ride up to the Salmon Glacier is also a must.

I did it in 2016 and didn't see any Grizzlies at Fish Creek. Saw plenty of black bears on the roads and one with a Salmon in his mouth. In 2017 went again and even though the ride up sucked because of all the smoke I hit the jackpot at Fish Creek. Spent a lot of time over two days watching this big guy fish and eat. Saw a lot of smaller Grizzlies and black bears too.

IMG_5173.jpg P1000654.jpg
    95Monster, JagLite, purdytj and 4 others like this.
  10. djroszina

djroszina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That has got to be a black grizzly, look at that hump! I’ve never seen a hump like that on any black bear.
    purdytj likes this.
  11. hammick

hammick Long timer

Oddometer:
    It’s a Brown Bear. Grizzlies are inland and much smaller. I never said it was a black bear.

Don’t confuse the color of a bear with the type. Brown Bears can be black, Black Bears can be brown and vice versa.
    JagLite, Dogslobber and Bigbob1 like this.
  12. Dogslobber

Dogslobber Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don't forget cinnamon and blonde. I've both colors on Brownbears and Grizz.
    JagLite likes this.
  13. hammick

hammick Long timer

Oddometer:
    I saw a blond Toklak female griz in Denali. I’ll get a pic of her up when I get back in town.
    Dogslobber likes this.
  14. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    While riding north on the Cassiar in 2014 with two of my riding buddys two of us saw a Kermode Bear. We were riding north while in a corner the white black bear stepped out in front of me just as the lead bike passed, I was in the middle and Ron was in the rear. The bear had three little black cubs. The color contrast of the Sow and cubs was stunning. Due to it being in a corner and all three of us pulling campers we could not get stopped quick enough to get a picture as they crossed the road.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kermode_bear
    Dogslobber likes this.
  15. hammick

hammick Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've heard of those. That's awesome that you saw one. Very rare sighting I assume.