Hydraulic Clutch for LC4 Adventure

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Scotty, Dec 23, 2002.

1. witzgall

witzgall Goin' South

Oddometer:
    Cat0020,

I woud like to get one of those CEV switches you have on your bike. Do you know the part number and where it is available?

Chris Witzgall
    Groton, MA USA
  2. Cat0020

Cat0020 El cheapo

Oddometer:
    The CEV switch is part of the Rallye kit from Touratech.
    I think they are teh older style. Look into the Touratech catalog for the specific item numbers. I gave away my catalog just last week for a R1150GS rider.

3. Scotty

Scotty Adventurer X

Oddometer:
    The CEV switch housing has a KTM part # as well. It is the same switch that comes stock on the dual sport models in Europe. It also came on the early Lc's!
    Back when I was trying to mount the hyd. clutch on my '02 Adv. I actually found part of one of the CEV switches that Cat0020 has on his Rally laying around the shop and it worked like a charm! But, I didn't have the lower turn signal adapter so that was out!
    Anyway BLAH BLAH BLAH! If anyone wants the top of that CEV switch (meaning the actual switch housing and lower clamp that clamp around the bars instead of a switch housing and turn signal adapter that clamp around the bars). Just send me an email and its yours!..........Granted I can still find it.....thats been a few months ago:confused

:beer
    Scotty
  4. witzgall

witzgall Goin' South

Oddometer:
    If you can find it. I will be putting another set of switches on my bike to control my Rally comptuer I am designing (shhh, secret stuff...). The other set of switches are the TOuratech with five bottons and two toggles. I could use one of the toggles for the turn signals.

The touratech won't fit on the bars with the hydraulic clutch and the standard switch (01) adventure) I think the CEV will fit. If it won't I can send it back to you, or on to the next person who wants to try it...
  5. witzgall

witzgall Goin' South

Oddometer:
    Of your rally bike. I am just curious..

Does nayone know what the fuel economy of the 660 motor is compared to the stock 640? I am ineresed in wha the range would be with the front 28 liter tank only.

Chris
  6. Cat0020

Cat0020 El cheapo

Oddometer:
    Actually, I have never kept a record of how many miles I've ridden on the Rallye bike. I keep track of the hours, for now I have about 120 hours and have filled the front tank four times with 87 octane fuel. The fuel evens out between the three tanks once you fill it to certain level. The longest I've ridden as a segment on the Rallye bike was approx. 4 1/2 hours, I could not wait to get off the bike, but I remember the fuel in the main tank was still above 1/2 way, estimate of the trip was 170-180 miles.

I could not firgure out how the fuel travels between the three tanks, I once rode over an hour without opening any of the three petcock and the bike ran no problem.. maybe I left the knob on the right side of main tank open.

I am slowly figuring out how everything works on this bike, it is an adventure by itself.

7. Scotty

Scotty Adventurer X

Oddometer:
    Hey witzgall,
    I need an address! I found the CEV switch if you still wanna try it... If so just send me a PM or email me at the shop.
    :beer
    Scotty

scott@dfwktm.com
  8. Tim

Tim Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, witzgall. So basically if one just tells their part guy to order a Magura hydraulic clutch kit for a KTM LC4, that'll result in eveything needed? (I always welcome an opportunity to whip out the Dremel!) If so, I'm gonna order up the stuff on Tuesday.

Arch,

1. Did you get one?

2. Did you fit it?

3. Did it work?

KTiM
  9. Arch

Arch Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer:
    Yep, I had my guy order one, Tim. Waiting for it to arrive. I'll post back...

Arch
  10. Vagabond

Vagabond Mr. Sparkle

Oddometer:
    The Magura Hymec clutch for the lc4 was not intended for the Adventure or any KTM w/ switchgear on the bars. I have talked to Magura, and they expect to release an Adventure specific Hymec by February. You can purchase the OEM hydraulic clutch from the dealer, but it's not available yet( probably still in Austria). Also for 2003 KTM has changed the clutch cover for the lc4. The new one has a sight window for checking oil level, so now you won't have to fight with the dip stick/gas tank clearance. This cover will be available from the dealer, and it will fit the 2002 Adventure. :evil
  11. Arch

Arch Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer:
    We spoke to the folks at Magura just a few days ago and the reason some are saying it isn't intended for use on an Adventure is simple - It has no provision for the the clutch safety switch (or whatever that thing is called). That's not something I'll miss.

Thanks for the heads-up on the coming version with a sight window, though. If only February really meant February in this business...

:D

Arch
  12. Vagabond

Vagabond Mr. Sparkle

Oddometer:
    Well, I purchased a hymec, and it didn't fit. The switchgear was in the way of the lever. I'm not going to buy an expensive clutch, and then have to modify it to make it work. I'll purchase one that will fit my bike as intended. I know that "February" really means sometime this year, but it doen't hurt to hope. :doh
  13. Arch

Arch Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer:
    Well, I'm always looking for an excuse to get my Dremel out...

:super

Arch
  14. Vagabond

Vagabond Mr. Sparkle

Oddometer:
    At least it's not a plasma cutter:jump :jump :jump :jump
  15. Arch

Arch Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer:
    My Magura kit (M0120490) arrived today, so it was off to the garage to toss it onto the Adventure, and that's about how easy it was. Start to finish maybe an hour, including modifying the left switchgear to clear the Magura lever's adjuster. Takes a Dremel or even just a few nicely shaped files.

How's it work? Well, much less lever pull, much smoother feel. It's drizzling & cold at the moment, so that's all I have to report after a trip around the block. Looking forward to sampling it on an extended ride.

:1drink
  16. flyshop

flyshop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Arch

If it's not to much trouble lets us know it works. Also if you could send a picture of the clutch at the switch location that would be helpful. I to am always looking for a reason to unholster the dremel. If it works for you it is my next winter project, need lots of project to get thru Montana winters.

Thanks for all the info
    flyshop
  17. Arch

Arch Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer:
    Extended ride report will have to wait for the weather and some of life's to-dos to clear up, but it's a proven deal on zillions of other motorcycles, Katooms included, so I'm confident.

Will click a pic or two in the future. In the meantime, though, below is a pic from Magura's site. See the little red adjustment knob? That (and the area it threads into) is what requires clearance as you pull the lever in. So the street switchgear needs reshaping. Dremel, round file, etc. I have mine down to where the tips on the red knob just graze the housing and it's no issue at all. They're plastic, give easily and aren't needed to turn the knob anyway. One could just as easily shave those off and end up having to remove far less from the switchgear's housing.

I'm tellin' ya, Flyshop ... It's a piece of cake. :D

Attached Files:

18. Tim

Tim Long timer

Oddometer:
    Arch,

Vagabond reckons that the Magura clutch is not designed for the KTM and that his didn't fit. Do I take it that yours is a KTM specific kit, as it seems to have fitted OK?
  19. Arch

Arch Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer:
    As for its being "specific", I dunno if it's listed to work on other makes & models. But its part number (120490) shows it to be for KTM LC4s, the directions say it's for LC4s, etc. However, it's not specifically built to work with switchgear that includes blinkers, horn & light controls, which is why said switchgear needs a bit of massaging. This is even mentioned in the instructions, that it can be made to work on KTMs with street switchgear. Here's what it says...

...The larger standard switch (EGS, Adventure, Duke) interferes with HYMEC'S lever functions. A crude rework of this switch will allow the clutch lever to work freely. Magura does not approve of such a switch alteration and assumes not responsibility for it.

In other words, typical lawyer-speak as they obviously can't go around recommending that folks take Dremels and files after their KTM controls! It also mentions the lack of provision for the "in gear safety start switch". Not something I care about one bit, just like I didn't install the safety-nanny harness that comes with the factory sidestand.

:D
  20. Arch

Arch Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer:
    Here ya go, Flyshop! You can see the area that need's "scooping out" just aft of the red adjustment knob. It's not noticeable to anyone not specifically looking for it...

Attached Files: