Hypermotard with dtc offroad

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by sanddanw, Nov 18, 2016.

1. sanddanw

sanddanw n00b

Oddometer:
    Want to buy a hypermotard to do some exploring with 2 tracks etc. debating between 1100s and 828 sp. 1100s is simple air cooled and much cheaper used. Sp has low hp mode and wondering if it helps or hinders while riding in sand n etc. SP also has 1 inch more travel n clearance but also 2" taller seat. Has anyone road both on 2 tracks for pros n cons?
  2. BobcatSig

BobcatSig They call me... Huckajawea

Oddometer:
    I have. I think you mean the Hyper 821 SP?

In any case, you probably know that they aren't the best at dirt roads and such. They'll do it just fine with the right tires but with the SP in particular, you have a much more rigid suspension with the beefier forks and Ohlins shock. The forged wheels are stronger (and lighter), but more expensive to replace, so keep that in mind.

The low power mode you mention is usually the 'rain' mode. You can tweak the settings in it for what you need. You can dial back the TC, the ABS and the power, which is what I did. It therefore becomes your enduro mode. The low power mode also dials back the power delivery, which certainly helps in the dirt.

Nonetheless, the bike, no matter the tires or ride mode, isn't so great in the sand.
    sanddanw likes this.
  3. sanddanw

sanddanw n00b

Oddometer:
    I like the sp for the adj suspension just soften it up for offroad. I'm not to worried about offroad riding yes it will get tipped over so I need some protection and tkc80 tires.
  4. BobcatSig

Oddometer:
    In that case, get yourself an SW-Motech skid plate, some proper hand guards, frame sliders, case covers and axle sliders. There really isn't a good way to protect the exhaust. Otherwise, have fun. BRAAAP!
    sanddanw likes this.
  5. appliance57

appliance57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You also have tall gearing and a sometimes grabby slipper clutch. Nothing you can do about the clutch, but a sprocket change might help gearing. I'd look at RSL's mods on the hyperstrada thread for underside protection - you'd need a center stand. Thing is though, any bashplate will have to attach to the cylinder head (not lower frame) so any hit will end up there. Also - it weighs 450lbs.

The urban mode suggestion is very good. I've ridden a fully loaded strada over very tough roads, and it has done it. But, it's no dirt bike - it's a very capable road bike.
  6. sanddanw

sanddanw n00b

Oddometer:
    I decided to go with a 2012 1100 evo sp, I will need 14T Front Sprocket, custom Skid Plate, Potential Windscreen, Real Handguards, Frame Slider, custom Oil Cooler guard, TKC80 Tires.
  7. BobcatSig

Oddometer:
    For the skid plate, look up http://strada-avventurosa.com/
    Your Hyper shares underpinnings with the Multi 1100.
    sanddanw likes this.