1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Hyperstrada - The bike that you can take with you.

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by RL Lemke, Oct 6, 2016.

1. RL Lemke

RL Lemke Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sure is nice to have a lightweight bike that is small enough to take with you when traveling. Whether set-up with knobbies and skid plate, or performance street tires, it's a snap to roll it on the back of my car and bring with.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From California to Florida, from The Dragon to The Lost Coast, it's a joy to bring along so much fun, so easily.

One reason why I chose the Hyperstrada over the many other options. Dirt bike size, and sport bike notions, and a capability to explore mountain forest backroads.

[​IMG]

Pint size bike that is still roomy for my 6'2" body.

[​IMG]

Low volume sales for Ducati indicate that many don't consider this bike.

[​IMG]

I think maybe it is a good alternative to the scrambler type bikes so popular now.

Anyway, I take it along with me when I travel. Lots of great places to explore along the way.
  2. ssregal39

ssregal39 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is that the "racing" seat? How do you like it?
    I test rode a hyperstrada a few days ago and may be trading for it. Loved it. So easy to ride.
  3. RL Lemke

Oddometer:
    The racing seat is comfortable for all day rides and allows any seating position. Something the stock Strada seat doesn't. Nice suede feel cover too.

Understand though, it isn't a Russell Day Long seat. But then, this isn't a touring bike either. For the kind of FUN, ear to ear grin, bike this is, the race seat is the perfect option.
    motocopter and ssregal39 like this.
  4. ssregal39

ssregal39 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cool thanks.
  5. RL Lemke

Oddometer:
    I just upgraded the Mototote hitch bike carrier by adding the T-Rex trailer restraints. These restraints tie the rear axle sliders solidly to the Mototote rear tie-down location.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now there is zero side to side bike movement. All without compressing the suspension springs. Fantastic addition at a value price.

http://t-rex-racing.com/catalog.php?item=457

6. robfilms

robfilms Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    the HYPERSTRADA sure looks like fun.

any other owners?

if so, how tall are you? inseam?

thanks in advance.

be well.

rob
  7. Sock Monkey

Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

Oddometer:
    Definitely fun bikes. :thumb

Just FYI, and you probably know this already, but you are very likely over the max tongue weight on your Forerunner (500lbs). Wet weight of the Hyper is about 460lbs and the Mototote comes in around 65lbs. Best case you are only over by 25lbs, but still, it's never a good idea to push the limits of your hitch..... :gerg
  8. oalvarez

oalvarez Resident Raggamuffin Supporter

Oddometer:
    My favorite of the bunch was the air cooled HYM 1100s. Super fun, super different, and sexy styling. I had the CA Cycleworks oversized fuel tank and when coupled with bags the bike was distance capable. My only mini complaint was with the front fork not matching the ability of the rear Ohlins shock.

The Hyperstrada in white looks good!
  9. RL Lemke

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  10. RL Lemke

Oddometer:
    V8 4Runner with trailer package. Factory frame hitch. A value priced hitch still available from dealers. A friend installed one on his Lexus GX470. Perfect fit.
  11. Sock Monkey

Oddometer:
    Nice! :thumb

I'd guess most folks don't have that model, and I don't think they were made past '09, but great for folks who have them! :D

You say that hitch is still available from dealers. Will it fit any Forerunner or just certain model years? It's definitely a nice option....
  12. RL Lemke

Oddometer:
    Toyota offers the hitch for a number of 4Runners, which share nearly everything with the Prado and GX.
  13. JeffPM

JeffPM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How do you owners find the Hyper in terms of reliability? I am considering replacing my Street Triple as I want something with slightly more relaxed ergonomics, a bit more wind/weather protection, yet maintains that sportbike nature when you get to the twisty bits. The Triumph has been rock solid with no issues whatsoever. I can't say the same for my last Ducati and I am still gunshy about the brand.

The bike would be used as a commuter and weekend fun bike. No iron butts, just some overnighters.
  14. RL Lemke

Oddometer:
    The Hyperstrada is no more. So unless you are interested in leftover stock or used you will look elsewhere. In addition, since 2013/2014 the Hyperstrada is only available in a low configuration making for short suspension travel. Outside of normal recall stuff they are very reliable.
  15. JeffPM

JeffPM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, I am aware that it is no longer made. The low configuration is fine with me, I'm getting older and the knees are starting to get balky. Thanks for the info :thumb
  16. Sock Monkey

Oddometer:
    You might want to check out the Aprilia Dorsoduro 750 ABS. Not quite as "hyper" as the Hyper, but very similar in form, fit, and function (with the added bonus of still being in production)...... :D
  17. oalvarez

oalvarez Resident Raggamuffin Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dorsoduro's are awesome bikes.....my buddy has the recent 1200 and currently has over 40,000 miles on the odometer. Has been a super reliable bike.
  18. RL Lemke

Oddometer:
    JeffPM likes this.
  19. JeffPM

JeffPM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the suggestion, Sock Monkey. If I had an Aprilia dealer near me I'd consider it.
    diegosaenz likes this.
  20. Sock Monkey

Oddometer:
    Your sig says you're in Milwaukee. There's a dealer in Brookfield, which looks to be a suburb of Milwaukee:

Aprilia Milwaukee
    12730 W. Capitol Dr.
    Brookfield, WI 53005
    PHONE (262) 781-3336 FAX (262) 781-3826
    WEB www.reinaintlauto.com

:D