I-90 to Greenwater

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by MPS0430, Aug 24, 2016.

1. Air_Bob

Air_Bob Been here awhile

Oddometer:

We exited at the Stampede Pass/I-90. One of the bikes had a problem, so we just headed west on I-90 to Snoqualmie Summit, had lunch and then went back to the Hyak Ski Area and headed up from the parking lot through the neighborhood and then all the way up to the top of Hyak on the gravel roads. It was a great day!
  2. Air_Bob

Air_Bob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The top of Hyak.

Attached Files:

Car Sun Key likes this.
  3. TimC63

TimC63 BDR Addict Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was going to suggest the Lester detour, though as you stated, you can't ride in - I have a coworker whose grandmother (?) was the last person to have property rights out there after it was purchased by the Tacoma watershed. Once she died, no one had permission to reside there. Side note - Lester is also on the "official" (whoever declares that) list of ghost towns in the US.

TC

***Lost-n-lovin-it, WTG for making great memories with your kid. As someone already mentioned on the WABDR post; doesn't look like he is having any fun at all!
    mglass and Lost-n-Lovin-It like this.
  4. pwh

pwh Just Farkin' GO

Oddometer:
    I just did that last weekend. Great little detour!

5. Car Sun Key

Car Sun Key Pick a direction and go

Oddometer:
    Ghost town whoohoo. Heading up there today to do some exploring on the KLR
  6. Car Sun Key

Oddometer:
    Was hoping to find a road from the top of Snq pass thru cabin creek to connect to the Easton>Greenwater route. You guys prob already knew this but it doesn't exist (anymore). Had fun tooling around the roads. The back road up to the top of Hyak is Erzburg for my big fat klr. Headed back I found the much easier route down to the neighborhood on the front side

From Snoqualmie to Easton with minimal slabbing. :ricky
    snq.png
    All legal FRoads

Attached Files:

woodsrider-boyd likes this.
  7. Trinity_Session

Trinity_Session Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Be careful going into Lester, even hiking in is illegal now I believe.
  8. Watercat

Watercat . . . gravity sucks

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the heads-up; Dayyyymn, more and more these daze, I'm doing things that are illegal . . . . :scratch . . . :dunno . . . :loco . . . :confused
    And not intentionally . . . . . . .:wink:

:ricky
  9. sunncountry

sunncountry Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ya gotta know where to Look Depending on what type of bike you are on, you can go from Hyak, mid mountain head East eventually using the power lines to reach Lost Lake From there you should be able to figure it out. Or from Hyak cross under the freeway and hit 4832 to the Stampede Exit and again you will figure it out from there. Good Luck!
  10. Lost-n-Lovin-It

Lost-n-Lovin-It Lurker

Oddometer:
    According to the sign you are good to go. So long as you are on foot.
    image.jpeg
    Trinity_Session likes this.
  11. Trinity_Session

Trinity_Session Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I stand corrected.
  12. Car Sun Key

Oddometer:
    Thx Suncountry, I was solo on a KLR loaded up so I only made it half way down the powerline before turning around. Saturday I did discover the underpass at Hyak to 4832 (GoldCreek?), what a great leg! Rode both the bottom 'groomed' fireroad out and then took the upper longer roads on the way back.

Behind Hyak, Silver peak?
    20160903_133316.jpg

Powerline road somewhat washed out. Facing Hyak
    20160903_164334.jpg

Hyak side of GoldCreek where it pops back on to slab
    20160903_182506.jpg

Upper FR on GoldCreek looking down on I90 and Easton
    20160903_174502.jpg
    Trinity_Session and Ride Now like this.
  13. Car Sun Key

Oddometer:
    Got a late start today but did make it out to Blowout Mt from Snoq, about half way to Greenwater from Lk Kachelus.

Looking toward Easton
    20160905_144029.jpg

Lost lk
    20160905_lostlake.jpg

20160905_153759.jpg

Looking south from Blowout Mt
    20160905_Roller164544_HDR.jpg
    Trinity_Session and Ride Now like this.
  14. Snowlover

Snowlover Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    First trip from Easton (Stampede Pass) on my vStrom yesterday. Done it several times on KLR. vStrom did great. Did the alternate 5405 route instead of the 54 switchbacks to Lester. Heard a train, but failed to get to the trestle in time.

I have done the Crystal Springs to Hyak power line ride before, but it was all I wanted on my KLR. Rode it once east to west, only time find the bridge out on the west end. Did not want to go back up bad power line road, so we chanced it though the creek. Success. I see a nice bridge is there now, but the power line road still sucks.

A fun North side route is to go out of Easton to Kacheess on the Via-Kachees road, then either over the gold creek microwave route or the lower route coming out @ North side of Hyak.

I snowmobile a lot there, so it is fun to see in the summer.
    Car Sun Key and Trinity_Session like this.
  15. Lost-n-Lovin-It

Lost-n-Lovin-It Lurker

Oddometer:
    Anyone looking for an excuse to go for a ride tomorrow?

My boy and I are going to do the Greenwater to I-90 run in the morning. Breakfast in Enumclaw then lunch at the pass, finally returning to town via the Forrest Service roads that parallel I-90. We are going to stick to the GPX routes shared earlier in this thread and turn them into one giant loop.

We ride at a safe and slow pace so if anyone wants to come out and enjoy the scenery before the weather goes south. Or if there are any new riders out there looking for a nice easy day ride, let me know.
  16. El Duque

El Duque Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What would be the min. requirement for a bike / gear on this trip? I'd like to go (be the noob) do something like this one of these days eventually....etc. I'm old and grey but up for it. All I have that runs at the moment is an 83 GL 1100 as in Goldwing! :lol3
  17. Lost-n-Lovin-It

Lost-n-Lovin-It Lurker

Oddometer:
    Love the enthusiasm. But I think a gold wing might be a bit too much bike for most riders off pavement. If you are new to riding on the dirt I'd say starting on a light weight bike would be best. You can always trade up to a bigger one next year.

I'd say the minimum would be any old dual sport or even scrambler with a license plate. You don't need a lot of power for Forrest Service roads since most of the time I only go 20-30 MPH.

For the I-90 portion you'd need something that could go 70MPH. For this you are probably going to need at least a 200cc. But there are lots of rides out of the Greenwater area that avoid the freeway. So if you go that route you just need something that will scoot you along at 55MPH. An old Honda 90 will do that.

Looks like you've got an excuse to hit Craigslist and get a new bike. :clap
  18. enumclaw

enumclaw I just....don't know

Oddometer:
    Can't make it with guests in town, but hit up the Krain at 400th and hwy 169 for breakfast.:clap
    Lost-n-Lovin-It likes this.
  19. wizze

wizze Wizze = Wise

Oddometer:
    Don't park in front of the gate at Lester. A cranky water district "worker" on his Friday fuck off drive informed me to never block the gate.
  20. Car Sun Key

Oddometer:
    Tried to get to Hyak from Easton area again and found the other side of the powerline trail. Past this tank trap was pretty much not passable :(
    20160909_191607.jpg
    47.2036923,-121.237096